LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 442 users in the forums

National Football Post - Mock Draft Version 3.0 (01/01/13)

I think some may agree, that because we are talking about a defensive lineman, his age may help with his draft stock. You have a 26 year old who plays in the trentches who is probably comj g into his prime for body growth. His age may help in learning the NFL technique and playbook in that hes more mature in his mind than his fellow rookies.
I believe that Pierce Holt was 26 when the 49ers draft him in 1988. He worked out just fine.
they got it wrong though, we going to be picking 32nd
Hard to play with leverage at that height.
That is a pretty crazy mock. ILB goes #1 overall, Vacarro goes #5, an OG goes #6, Glennon is first QB taken (at #7 no less), Loutulelei goes #14, Cordarrelle Paterson is 2nd WR taken (and before his teammate Hunter), Damontre Moore goes #30, Geno Smith doesn't get drafted in the 1st round.

That is 8 very bold predictions....
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
That is a pretty crazy mock. ILB goes #1 overall, Vacarro goes #5, an OG goes #6, Glennon is first QB taken (at #7 no less), Loutulelei goes #14, Cordarrelle Paterson is 2nd WR taken (and before his teammate Hunter), Damontre Moore goes #30, Geno Smith doesn't get drafted in the 1st round.

To me, Lande's assessment is insanity. Middle linebackers never go even top 5 in modern football. He would need to run a 4.30, jump 45", lift 35 times to even be close to a number one pick. Glennon may end up a late first, but he is so inconsistent that I think there is a ceiling, especially since he is not mobile. Vaccaro is not going top 15, maybe first round. I can see Moore falling toward the back end of thr first since he is not expected to run well at the combine.

Just a crazy draft.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

To me, Lande's assessment is insanity. Middle linebackers never go even top 5 in modern football. He would need to run a 4.30, jump 45", lift 35 times to even be close to a number one pick. Glennon may end up a late first, but he is so inconsistent that I think there is a ceiling, especially since he is not mobile. Vaccaro is not going top 15, maybe first round. I can see Moore falling toward the back end of thr first since he is not expected to run well at the combine.

Just a crazy draft.

I respect Lande for having his own grades, but he's very often off. Last year kept predicting Jeron Criner in the 1st. On one hand he's clearly wrong, on the other, he gives his own scouting projections, and doesn't simply fall in line with all the others.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by PTulini:
6'8" is a bit tall for a defensive linemen!

Tell that to Calais Campbell of the Cardinals.

Yup, that's probably the best player on a good defense. Boone was supposed to be too tall for guard, too. Tall lineman can struggle, but they can be dominant if they work to develop strength/stamina in their legs and discipline their pad level.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I respect Lande for having his own grades, but he's very often off. Last year kept predicting Jeron Criner in the 1st. On one hand he's clearly wrong, on the other, he gives his own scouting projections, and doesn't simply fall in line with all the others.

I agree its good people use their own asseessments and write their own opinions instead of repeating other peoples opinions. But some draft people go out of their way to make out landish predictions so down the road they have a chance of saying they predicted something everybody else got wrong.

That mock just seems crazy to me to the point he is purposely making crazy predictions hoping 1 rings true. I like the site, they've always had in depth stuff thats a good read.
Originally posted by domingo:
I believe that Pierce Holt was 26 when the 49ers draft him in 1988. He worked out just fine.

How old was he when he stopped playing? Not being a jerk, I really don't remember. If we get a 26 year old in the 1st, he better play well into his mid-thirties

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by domingo:

How old was he when he stopped playing? Not being a jerk, I really don't remember. If we get a 26 year old in the 1st, he better play well into his mid-thirties

Gotta disagree. If you can get 4-5 great/very good years out of a late 1st rounder, you've done pretty well (especially with the new salary structure). Obviously you want them playing at a high-level for as many years possible, but realistically speaking, 25-32 (in that range) is about peak age for NFL defensive lineman, so if he gives you solid production during that timeframe, you've done well.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Gotta disagree. If you can get 4-5 great/very good years out of a late 1st rounder, you've done pretty well (especially with the new salary structure). Obviously you want them playing at a high-level for as many years possible, but realistically speaking, 25-32 (in that range) is about peak age for NFL defensive lineman, so if he gives you solid production during that timeframe, you've done well.

If we have great play from a 1st rounder for 5 years before he gets away, I want a 3rd round comp for him, not a retirement dinner.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

If we have great play from a 1st rounder for 5 years before he gets away, I want a 3rd round comp for him, not a retirement dinner.

Most people would, including me. But that's not likely from a 26 year-old rookie, so you have to weigh it out....all things being equal talent-wise, you have the potential for more immediate impact and less volatility since he's older/more mature than other rookies, but the long-term value likely won't be there. IMO, and all things being equal talent-wise, I'd take that risk on an older prospect especially if my team was closer to winning a title than not.
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
maybe in the 2nd round but not the 1st.

He's going to shoot up the boards. He's a physical freak and new to the game. He flashed his dominance in his Bowl game. Come April, he might not last to the end of the 1st.

He's 26 though. Older prospects tend to fall down some draft boards

So he's a couple years older. He's likely only going to sign a 5 year deal anyway. As a 3-4 DE, assuming he's successful and desires to keep playing, he could play for 7+ years. That's not too unrealistic. Personally, I think the age thing is a little blown out of proportion. For RBs or WRs, it's much more relevant.

He had a pretty short career but he was there for some big games, Superbowls....etc.....played for the 49ers for about 4 or 5 years I wanna say, went and played for the Falcons for a couple more, was done at 33 or 34.
Share 49ersWebzone