49ers trade up to select their future pro-bowl nose tackle in Jesse Williams.
A few links to check out:
Why I justify this pick from our current depth:
- Ricky Jean-Francois looked shaky at Nose Tackle as he really contributed to the D as a replacement to Justin Smith.
- Isaac Sopoaga may get resigned, but only for a 2-3 year deal. We need a successor.
Why I like Jesse Williams:
- He has experience playing the 5 technique DE position as well as a true 3-4 NT position at Alabama.
- Demands double teams. His sheer size and strength pushes offensive linemen to their backs. This is an important point because it helps free up blockers from Justin Smith. And if Justin Smith can get one-on-one match ups or if there's an error in the O-line assignment and both Smith and Williams are double teamed, then it frees up Aldon Smith to get a sack.
- While he isn't a workhorse, he does provide some penetration to the backfield with his strength. On nickel formations, he could rotate with Smith or McDonald to help keep them fresh.
Williams serves as a dual purpose initially as he'll play both DE and NT...remember, Isaac Sopoaga started the same way.