There are 209 users in the forums

Any future JJ Watt(S) or Justin Smith(S) in this years 2013 DE/NT draft class?

Originally posted by blm7754:
Well, in your defense, most people don't know much about 3-4 DE. I just went back and watched some videos of him (against Stanford and USC). What stood out to me was this, he isn't flashy. He's not usually the guy making the play. But he is very disruptive. He's getting in the backfield, he's taking all the double teams. He plays the run very well. He collapses the pocket. He does everything you want a 3-4 DE to do.

I'm not a huge fan of how he was often used at UCLA. You frequently see him lined up at NT as the only down lineman in passing situations. I think that's why you don't see more sacks from him. He was UCLA's most powerful DL, so they put him in the middle to flush the QB out to the linebackers. We don't use our DE's this way.

He's also a guy with great upside. He has some things he needs to work on (for example, he sometimes gets up-field too much when he should be playing the run... allowing RBs to skoot right past him). He could also work on his outside pass rushing technique. That isn't the primary responsibility of a 3-4 DE, but on occasion, he needs to be able to turn the corner quicker and get around blockers better (he tends to try and bull-rush through everybody).

I think that statement is representative of the old adage of what a 3-4 DE should be. Set the edge, collapse the pocket, reduce running and passing lanes, and engage multiple blockers. However, we operate best when we have viable pass rush out of our 3-4 DEs. At the beginning of the year, RayMac and Justin were both disruptive (as you noted) but also threats to sack the QB or tackle for losses on each play. I think there was an appreciable decline through the year, especially from RayMac. That decline was felt throughout our D.

I still contend that our 3-4 DEs must be a pass rushing threat (or we have a pass rushing NT, which are extremely rare). The running game just isn't as much of a priority as it has been in years past. Plus, with Willis and Bowman behind the line, we can usually stop opposing running attacks with relative ease.
Quoting Mel Kiper and Todd McShay

"... since 1999, 40% of DT taken in the with the to 20 picks have been busts..."

• Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
HANDS DOWN the biggest need is DLine. Watch the Pats game -it says it all.

The first half, when Justin was in, we totally dominated - our seondary dominated BECAUSE of the Dline pressure.

The 2nd half, when Justin was injured, our secondary got exposed BECAUSE there wan't DLine pressure. Plain and simple.

Heaven forbid - what will happen if Justin goes down in the first game?

We need DLine BIG TIME!

I hear what you're saying and I don't really disagree too much. Look at it this way, if Smith stays healthy then your Dline player will rarely see the field. Whereas a safety or corner could basically play as a starter. We did sign Glenn Dorsey so there is still some depth. My hope is that they trade up in the first and take the BPA on defense. There's no question that if they find a guy as good as Justin Smith then they snatch him up. Our backfield starts Craig Dahl and I have no idea who is behind him if he gets hurt..Cox?
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
The defensive line should be priority # 1 for the front office this offseason. With Soap potentially moving on and Cowboy getting up in years, this should be a no brainer.

Here is a list of 3-4 DE prospects that may fit the bill

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013DE3-4.php

From the 3-4 DE standpoint, there isn't a lot of options after round 1. Barring a Julio Jones-esque trade up for Lotulelei the top options are Richardson and Floyd -- Or maybe a slimmed down Sylvester Williams(get him in the weight room and lean him out 295-305. After that it is slim pickin's if you will.

Originally posted by genz22:
Kawann Short could be a stud. Has great pass rushing ability as well.

This is key. Everyone has a hard on for Sheldon Richardson and he only had a few sacks in college. Short had like 19 sacks, so i would take Short at 34 over Richardson at a massive trade up.
Share 49ersWebzone