LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Any future JJ Watt(S) or Justin Smith(S) in this years 2013 DE/NT draft class?

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Datone Jones (6'4", 280) has to be in the conversation. He's bigger than both Justin and McDonald when they came out of college, and has a lot of the same characteristics as Bryant Young (quick, powerful, relentless, etc.).

My primary interest was in Sharif Floyd, Kawann Short, but Jones is very interesting. The thing is, the Niners have the luxury of playing their 1st round pick as a situational player. This pick doesn't have to come in and replace Justin Smith or McDonald. Just be able to rotate in, or sub if necessary. To me, that means the Niners can take a player who needs to develop somewhat, and still be accomplishing the objective.
Originally posted by Butter:
Datone Jones (6'4", 280) has to be in the conversation. He's bigger than both Justin and McDonald when they came out of college, and has a lot of the same characteristics as Bryant Young (quick, powerful, relentless, etc.).

My primary interest was in Sharif Floyd, Kawann Short, but Jones is very interesting. The thing is, the Niners have the luxury of playing their 1st round pick as a situational player. This pick doesn't have to come in and replace Justin Smith or McDonald. Just be able to rotate in, or sub if necessary. To me, that means the Niners can take a player who needs to develop somewhat, and still be accomplishing the objective.

Those big effers with the 300+ pound bodies are always interesting for our d-line, but they don't always seem to have the toughness or the discipline required to play the 3-4 DE role. There's something about those 285-290 tweeners who battle all game long, play within the scheme and tie up defenders so the linebackers can make the plays...those warrior-types are the ones I like for our defense. And Jones seems to be that kinda guy. Floyd too, but definitely Jones.
Jones seems to be lighting it up this week, he seems to be able to move from end to tackle easily.

Those big effers with the 300+ pound bodies are always interesting for our d-line, but they don't always seem to have the toughness or the discipline required to play the 3-4 DE role. There's something about those 285-290 tweeners who battle all game long, play within the scheme and tie up defenders so the linebackers can make the plays...those warrior-types are the ones I like for our defense. And Jones seems to be that kinda guy. Floyd too, but definitely Jones.
Agreed. The Justin Smith types with all-day motors help the guys around them. They wear down the opposing team.

After watching the first day of pass rushing drills at the Senior Bowl practices, it would be very hard to ignore Jones. He was beating the o lineman every which way.

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

Agreed. The Justin Smith types with all-day motors help the guys around them. They wear down the opposing team.
that quote haunts and became a true story... make the fix and load the rotation
sorry to screw up my post...(cant figure it out), i wrote post 10 on this thread and hoped it would not come into play... i will learn to post and fit in, making a kosher tranistion to our topic
Im seeing Datone Jones on film and he hasn't impressed me at all. I hope we pass early on him.

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Im seeing Datone Jones on film and he hasn't impressed me at all. I hope we pass early on him.

You have game film or YouTube?

I agree. I thought I was the only one, so I just and said to myself, "maybe I dont know what the %$@# Im talking about."

Im on the trade out and trade down bandwagon because of the lack of stud DL in our 30 range. (Dont want Short, dont want J. Williams, dont want S. Williams, dont want B. Williams. Would like Geathers in the fifth!
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
The defensive line should be priority # 1 for the front office this offseason. With Soap potentially moving on and Cowboy getting up in years, this should be a no brainer.

Here is a list of 3-4 DE prospects that may fit the bill

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013DE3-4.php

I'll disagree with this. We need a DB more with the loss of Goldson and Culliver showing himself as a bit of a weak link. We have cowboy for one more year. DB is a greater need right now.
HANDS DOWN the biggest need is DLine. Watch the Pats game -it says it all.

The first half, when Justin was in, we totally dominated - our seondary dominated BECAUSE of the Dline pressure.

The 2nd half, when Justin was injured, our secondary got exposed BECAUSE there wan't DLine pressure. Plain and simple.

Heaven forbid - what will happen if Justin goes down in the first game?

We need DLine BIG TIME!
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

I agree. I thought I was the only one, so I just and said to myself, "maybe I dont know what the %$@# Im talking about."

Im on the trade out and trade down bandwagon because of the lack of stud DL in our 30 range. (Dont want Short, dont want J. Williams, dont want S. Williams, dont want B. Williams. Would like Geathers in the fifth!

Well, in your defense, most people don't know much about 3-4 DE. I just went back and watched some videos of him (against Stanford and USC). What stood out to me was this, he isn't flashy. He's not usually the guy making the play. But he is very disruptive. He's getting in the backfield, he's taking all the double teams. He plays the run very well. He collapses the pocket. He does everything you want a 3-4 DE to do.

I'm not a huge fan of how he was often used at UCLA. You frequently see him lined up at NT as the only down lineman in passing situations. I think that's why you don't see more sacks from him. He was UCLA's most powerful DL, so they put him in the middle to flush the QB out to the linebackers. We don't use our DE's this way.

He's also a guy with great upside. He has some things he needs to work on (for example, he sometimes gets up-field too much when he should be playing the run... allowing RBs to skoot right past him). He could also work on his outside pass rushing technique. That isn't the primary responsibility of a 3-4 DE, but on occasion, he needs to be able to turn the corner quicker and get around blockers better (he tends to try and bull-rush through everybody).
Share 49ersWebzone