LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

We should trade for a lower 1st round pick, and grab the best 3-4 DE available

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
No im thinking of him being a NT. he can be the next ngata

Much more raw than Ngata.....not nearly as dominant as he was.....also lacks similar pass-rushing ability/moves.
I just dkscoverd Dion Jordan. This should be our first round pick. Opposite Aldon Smith and our line would be fine.
Glenn Dorsey is an FA. He hasn't been as great as expected but maybe with a change of scenery he would pick it up a bit. I would look for Balke to solve this problem through FA and the draft like he did with the receiver position.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
It's obvious Justin Smith is a BIG part of what we do ....when he missed the entire 4th quarter, his absence was sorely missed

So we should seriously consider doing what it takes to grab the best 3-4 DE in the draft , we need to draft and groom his successor ASAP

what do you guys think ? ...maybe trade away our 1st and a couple other early round picks to secure a D-Lineman we know will make the squad, and contribute right away , Cowboy will start slowing down soon , due to his age and wear & tear , so we need to find his replacement for down the road

Justin Smith was a FA signing. Ray McDonald was a 3rd round pick. Issac Sopoago was a 4th round pick. My point is that we dont need to trade UP to get a quality DE. Most of those guys never turn out anyways.

Stay where we are at the end of round one and have our pick of Sheldon Richardson, Kawaan Short or Shariff Floyd. Either one of these 3 guys will be great additions.

Re-sign Issac Sopoago for one more season then in 2013 we can go hard for stud NT's in a very deep NT draft. Notre Dames Louis Nix (6'3, 326) Tennesse's Daniel McCullers (6'6, 380) or Georgia's Kwame Geathers (6'6, 355) all have the makings of dominant anchors for a 3-4 D.
  • titan
  • Veteran
^ I like Dorsey, but doesn't he have a bad hip?
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Justin Smith was a FA signing. Ray McDonald was a 3rd round pick. Issac Sopoago was a 4th round pick. My point is that we dont need to trade UP to get a quality DE. Most of those guys never turn out anyways.

Stay where we are at the end of round one and have our pick of Sheldon Richardson, Kawaan Short or Shariff Floyd. Either one of these 3 guys will be great additions.

Re-sign Issac Sopoago for one more season then in 2013 we can go hard for stud NT's in a very deep NT draft. Notre Dames Louis Nix (6'3, 326) Tennesse's Daniel McCullers (6'6, 380) or Georgia's Kwame Geathers (6'6, 355) all have the makings of dominant anchors for a 3-4 D.

You could also look at next year's draft and say it will be deeper in terms of more 3-4 DE types as well. I wouldn't mind the 49ers snagging Jonathan Jenkins up, filling that hole in and looking for a starting quality 3-4 DE in the next draft when the supply will be greater. Aaron Lynch is already a guy that is on my radar.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

On McCullers an Geathers, you typically don't want that much height with a NT. You typically want them in the 6'2-6'4 range. Over 6'4 and they are going to struggle playing with leverage and will have too much of a tendency too play too high. You see it quite a bit in McCullers play, he gets way too high which takes away his size and strength.

If a guy like Jesse Williams, Alabama is on the board when we pick, it will be tough for us to pass him up. At defensive end I think Sylvester Williams, North Carolina would fit our team very well and deserves a long look if available as well.
  • Elric
  • Veteran
There is no replacement in this draft for a Justin Smith type in the first two rounds.

I have been looking for some time.There is a DE from UCLA #75 that might back up.

Its best served to complete the aquisition of the OLB position oposite Aldon Smith.

2nd round will be hard to predict. Due to the suprising needs on this team.

Red Zone Threat TE
Physical up the feild RB
OL Center or Gaurd

3-4round is a good round for DE-DT
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Floyd in the first. Maybe even that Brandon Williams dude in the later rounds.

This works for me.
Share 49ersWebzone