LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

We should trade for a lower 1st round pick, and grab the best 3-4 DE available

Been saying we need D line help for the past year now. Crucial. everyone knows you draft BPA; so in that case you move up or down in draft so you get the player you want and get him where he should be drafted. I dont care really care if this player eventually takes Soap's or Smiths job, but we need a young D lineman Badly!
This is one key things that Bill Walsh always wanted and had--defensive line depth and rotating players in and out. That was a key part of the Niner's dynasty.
Floyd in the first. Maybe even that Brandon Williams dude in the later rounds.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
Ask me or SunDevilNiner about Will Sutton 3-4 DE from Arizona State. So hope he declares, he'd be another 1st rounder that sits and the bench or rotates (causing people to b***h a la AJ Jenkins or LMJ) but he'd be worth it!!!!! Give him a year or 2 behind Justin and we wouldn't miss a beat when Cowboy retires.

A 3-4 defensive end who is 6-1 267 lbs.

I know he is a good player, but he seems more like an OLB or 4-3 defensive end.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
we definitely need some depth on the DL and another QB rushing OLB.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by sfout:
Ask me or SunDevilNiner about Will Sutton 3-4 DE from Arizona State. So hope he declares, he'd be another 1st rounder that sits and the bench or rotates (causing people to b***h a la AJ Jenkins or LMJ) but he'd be worth it!!!!! Give him a year or 2 behind Justin and we wouldn't miss a beat when Cowboy retires.

A 3-4 defensive end who is 6-1 267 lbs.

I know he is a good player, but he seems more like an OLB or 4-3 defensive end.

The whole problem is he is a tweener with his height of 6'1 maybe even 6'0" -- With that lack of height he is a perfect lineman(4-3 or 3-4) because he'll always have an easier time getting under OL to push them back or get around them, his most important measurement IMHO will be arm length as no one wants a short guy with short arms. He probably weighs in the 270s because if you look at most of his tape he simply looks fatter then 265, his sheer athleticism is letting him do the things he does. As we all now, the college listed measurements are never accurate, either embellished or undersold. With Sutton it could go either way, I think he is actually in the 270s.

It'll depend on what the Draft Board tells him and what he chooses to do but I think right now he is so raw that he can choose between 4-3 DE or 3-4 DE, which is really weird to say because I dont think he has the overall "ranginess" you need a 3-4 OLB. I think the board will tell him the position he projects to in the NFL and I agree it'll likely be as 4-3 DE but they may say(depending on his real weight) that he is best suited as 3-4 DE.

We'll just have to wait and see.

EDIT: I'd almost want to compare Sutton to Melvin Ingram(6'1" 265) who is athletically gifted enough to play 4-3 DE/OLB and an undersized DT in sub packages. Which is Sutton to the T. I'm beating a dead horse but if Ingram's weight is really 265 then Sutton is definitely in the 270s because there is no way he is 267 with how much fat you can see on him compared to how lean Ingram has always looked very lean, even at SC in college.

I think Sutton will need creative coaching no matter if he comes out this year or next just like Ingram. Sutton would be project no matter what position he plays but all of this craziness will probably be for nothing as ASU HC Todd Graham said he expects Sutton back unless the board tells him he is a surefire first rounder.

Double EDIT: Sutton is a project pick, another Jenkins, LMJ, even Aldon kind of pick. My straight forward plug-in-play picks at 3-4 DE are Sheldon Richardson and Sharrif Floyd, Richardson preferably but I wont be picky
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 19, 2012 at 7:09 AM ]
no. you don't trade up for a backup.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

a future starter, having 1st round talent to groom for a starting Job will pay off Big later on
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Considering the only starting position available on our team is kicker, I think you're wrong.

And who knows, maybe they'll start over Sopoaga.
Agree 100%

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I think we should stand where we are and take the best available NT.
do a bunch of trades to get STAR
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

As an NT? Because as a 3-4 DE he's not all that impressive. He's great at stuffing the run, but if you're thinking he's going to replace Justin Smith, then its not going to work. He's not close to being as developed as a pass rusher as Justin was and likely will never have that explosiveness.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

As an NT? Because as a 3-4 DE he's not all that impressive. He's great at stuffing the run, but if you're thinking he's going to replace Justin Smith, then its not going to work. He's not close to being as developed as a pass rusher as Justin was and likely will never have that explosiveness.
No im thinking of him being a NT. he can be the next ngata
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I think we should stand where we are and take the best available NT.

I'm starting to agree with this. I'm not overly impressed with the 3-4 DE prospects. Instead I'd rather see the team add a big, young, aggressive NT, Jesse Williams is an absolute beast that could work as a smaller NT, or there's Jenkins who is monster-sized and would be a load to block if he upped his aggressiveness. For next year, adding more power and explosiveness to the middle of the line would open things up more for Justin Smith and co as well.
Share 49ersWebzone