There are 203 users in the forums

Johnathan Franklin RB UCLA

If we are looking for an eventual full time back to replace Gore, why not get the guy that's most like him. This kid reminds me of Gore so much in the Way he cuts and with his vision. I know we have Gore still along with James and Hunter but it doesn't mean we don't add a guy like him in the third. I honestly think he'll be gone by the second and I wouldn't mind grabbing him there. Nothing like having a stable of running backs. He will be the best rb in this draft, although this class is very deep and severly underrated. Thoughts?
I don't think its time for Gores replacement just yet, he still has some left in him. I say next year we get the guy. I do love JF though.
If we're talking Gore's replacement, I'm partial to Stepfan Taylor, but Franklin is a good back.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Not a fan of Franklin, he will be a poor man's Kendall Hunter. Just like PA says if we take a RB any earlier then then the 6th round it had better be Taylor.
With the bounty of picks we have next spring I think a RB is a must... Love Gore but the Hunter injury shows it is imperative to have depth @ RB!!! Going forward we gotta replace Jacobs & Dixon roster spots with better runners...
[ Edited by NYCNINER on Dec 9, 2012 at 8:05 AM ]
He's built more like Arian foster then Kendall Hunter, kid has great character and looks like a solid runner. I'd be down to draft him.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
He's built more like Arian foster then Kendall Hunter, kid has great character and looks like a solid runner. I'd be down to draft him.

um based off of listed attributes, Arian Foster has 3 inches and 35 pounds on Franklin.......He might have great character but it doesn't change the fact that in the NFL he is another Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Jacquizz Rodgers type player. Now make an argument about him having a different running style and I might listen but I still think Kendall Hunter is valid comparison because they both run low and churn their legs for positive yards. We need a big back with ST value and the potential to develop to replace Jacobs/Dixon.
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM ]
I'm ok with drafting a RB IF the back can contribute in the running game AND special teams. That way Anthony Dixon is gone. With Hunter going down, we need a guy that can step up. Basically a guy that could eventually be #1 or #2 guy when Frank Gore retires.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Dec 9, 2012 at 9:31 AM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
um based off of listed attributes, Arian Foster has 3 inches and 35 pounds on Franklin.......He might have great character but it doesn't change the fact that in the NFL he is another Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Jacquizz Rodgers type player. Now make an argument about him having a different running style and I might listen but I still think Kendall Hunter is valid comparison because they both run low and churn their legs for positive yards. We need a big back with ST value and the potential to develop to replace Jacobs/Dixon.

A big back early on in the draft would someone like Eddie Lacy from Alabama, who's built pretty damn solid and runs like it too. Later on in the draft you can go with someone like a Cameron Marshall from ASU who is a bigger back but has good speed and quickness and would make for a good special teams contributor while working in as a backup RB.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

A big back early on in the draft would someone like Eddie Lacy from Alabama, who's built pretty damn solid and runs like it too. Later on in the draft you can go with someone like a Cameron Marshall from ASU who is a bigger back but has good speed and quickness and would make for a good special teams contributor while working in as a backup RB.

lol you just mentioned #2 and #3 on my list of 3 RBs I want us to draft this year, #1 being Stepfan Taylor.

What round is he projected?
Am I missing something or do we already have to many RB's? We had a second rounder sitting the bench and a huge back with two SB rings crying about playing time. All while we have an all world back as a starter and his replacement is sitting on IR. Jewel Hampton is also sitting in the wings waiting for a shot; and I think it speaks volume that this kid got activated to the 53 man roster instead of placed on waivers!

We already have too many RB's!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Am I missing something or do we already have to many RB's? We had a second rounder sitting the bench and a huge back with two SB rings crying about playing time. All while we have an all world back as a starter and his replacement is sitting on IR. Jewel Hampton is also sitting in the wings waiting for a shot; and I think it speaks volume that this kid got activated to the 53 man roster instead of placed on waivers!

Gore could play anywhere from 1 to 4 more years, Hunter just tore an ACL and some players are never the same, James is still unproven, and Dixon IMHO shouldn't be kept just because he wants to be here, and Jacobs shouldn't be here past today.

We really only have 2 RBs worth a damn under contract that we can expect to play early next season. Hunter will likely start the season on the PUP list. Were drafting an RB for the gazillionth time in a row.
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Gore could play anywhere from 1 to 4 more years, Hunter just tore an ACL and some players are never the same, James is still unproven, and Dixon IMHO shouldn't be kept just because he wants to be here, and Jacobs shouldn't be here past today.

We really only have 2 RBs worth a damn under contract that we can expect to play early next season. Hunter will likely start the season on the PUP list. Were drafting an RB for the gazillionth time in a row.

Jewel Hampton? He is currently on the roster as well... Just sayin
I'm pretty sure will be needing both a new rb and a new wr next year. Jacobs and either Williams or Moss or both will be gone. Watch Frank Gore and then watch Franklin, not very comparable to either Foster or Hunter, but just like Frank. If anything I don't think Taylor's game transfers over as well to the pros when compared to Franklin, but he is solid.
Share 49ersWebzone