LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 136 users in the forums

Idaho's early mockup

Here is my extremely premature early mock draft. Picks are based on the assumed 14 draft picks projected by recent articles, assuming there is no trade movement. I will edit later to add some details on the players. Just put together a quick list.

ETA: Added the best highlight videos i could find at this time. some of the players didnt have highlights, or they werent good enough to post. Will edit/ifwhen more become available.

First round:Own pick
John Jenkins- DT – Georgia- 6-3, 350, SR

Second round:Own pick
Margus Hunt- DE- Southern Methodist-6-7, 280, rSR

Third round:Own pick
Dion Sims- TE-Michigan State 6-5, 285, rJR

Third round:From Carolina in trade-back during 2012 draft
Jordan Mathews- WR- Vanderbilt- 6-3, 205, JR

Third round:Likely compensatory selection
Mario Benevides- C- Louisville- 6-4 , 280, rSR

Fourth round:Own pick
Phillip Thomas- Fresno State- S- 6-1, 215, rSR

Fifth round:Own pick
Robert Alford- CB- Southeastern Louisiana- 5-11, 185, rSR

Fifth round:From Indianapolis in trade-back during 2012 draft
Aaron Mellette-Elon-WR- 6-3, 218, rSR

Sixth round:Own pick
Dustin Hopkins- Florida State- K- 6-2, 190, SR

Sixth round:From Miami in trade-back during 2012 draft
Luke Tasker- Cornell- WR- 5-11, 190, SR

Seventh round:Own pick
Mark Jackson- OT- Glenville State- 6-6, 335, rSR

Seventh round:From Cincinnati for Taylor Mays
Brent Russell- DT- Georgia Southern- 6-1, 300, rSR

Seventh round: Likely compensatory selection
Willie Jefferson-DE-Stephen F. Austin- 6-6, 230, SR

Seventh round: Likely compensatory selection
Ben Obaseki, DE, Indiana State, 6-2, 260 SR

[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Dec 11, 2012 at 8:29 PM ]
yep, i can work with that young sir
I would be quite happy with that draft although I don't think Eifert or Hunt will be available at those slots, Eifert is slotted to go within the early-mid 2nd round and Hunt will jump up the boards after the combines further emphasize what an absolute athletic freak he is. I like Phillip Thomas a lot, all the WR selections might be a tad bit overkill however, would like to see a RB picked in one of those slots.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I like but Eifert wont be on the board in the 2nd. Eifert has a more complete resume then Ertz, Toilolo, or Fauria.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I would be quite happy with that draft although I don't think Eifert or Hunt will be available at those slots, Eifert is slotted to go within the early-mid 2nd round and Hunt will jump up the boards after the combines further emphasize what an absolute athletic freak he is. I like Phillip Thomas a lot, all the WR selections might be a tad bit overkill however, would like to see a RB picked in one of those slots.

Yea. Really i added the three WR's because those are the three i really like. I however dont really see us drafting 3, just more i could see any one of those WR's at those spots. It was hard to fill 14 slots, LOL.

As far as Eifert, if he goes early, then i would simply move Hunt up to the second. I know he will likely jump up there anyways after the combine. Then i would Draft a TE in the third Like Sims.

Like i said this is extremely early mock, and more of a players i like in those rounds kind of deal. Obviously i dont beleive we stay put at all the picks.
Originally posted by sfout:
I like but Eifert wont be on the board in the 2nd. Eifert has a more complete resume then Ertz, Toilolo, or Fauria.

Yea, i as torn. More wishful thinking. By the time this is finished after the combine, lots will probally change. If a guy like eifert wasnt there, then i would go for like Hunt in the second, and a TE like Sims in the third.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Yea, i as torn. More wishful thinking. By the time this is finished after the combine, lots will probally change. If a guy like eifert wasnt there, then i would go for like Hunt in the second, and a TE like Sims in the third.

Sims is my favorite TE of the class followed by Fauria, not because of pure talent or potential but because they will actually fill the need of a true #2 TE with blocking and red zone value. Vernon can and probably will play until his late 30s so we wont need a #1 TE for a very long time. Fauria could be a #1 TE eventually but I'm not looking for an eventual Vernon replacement this season.
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 8, 2012 at 4:43 PM ]
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Sims is my favorite TE of the class followed by Fauria, not because of pure talent or potential but because they will actually fill the need of a true #2 TE with blocking and red zone value. Vernon can and probably will play until his late 30s so we wont need a #1 TE for a very long time. Fauria could be a #1 TE eventually but I'm not looking for an eventual Vernon replacement this season.

Yea, i like sims alot as well.

This.

I hope we use our extra pick to move up. Baalke seems willing to do it.
good mock idaho! im guessing all the D-line guys in the 7th round are low risk high reward gambles to see if we strike gold huh

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strickac:

This.

I hope we use our extra pick to move up. Baalke seems willing to do it.

The # of games scouted can be misleading but we've scouted Cal 4 times and the only notable prospect on their roster is Keenan Allen so unless we are really pouring over game tape for UDFAs from Cal I think Baalke & Gamble have a serious mancrush on Allen and we might move up for him.

to pull this thought back toward Eifert and the other TEs -- we haven't scouted Stanford significantly(presumably because we have unlimited access to game tape), 1 visit to Michigan State, and we've watched Notre Dame twice -- for which players I do not know.

Now I know Baalke and Gamble have a mancrush for Robert Woods or Marqise Lee(next season) as they were spotted being heavily involved with the USC WRs during pre-game at beginning of the 1st of "only" 3 games scouted so the mystery identity of our FO's true draftcrush is unkown right now.
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 8, 2012 at 6:13 PM ]
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
good mock idaho! im guessing all the D-line guys in the 7th round are low risk high reward gambles to see if we strike gold huh

Yes. The DE guys would be 3-4 OLB's. One a rushOLB the other a more versitile OLB. Both projects. The DT would be another NT project.

I really like Hunt in the second/third as the successor to Cowboy.
Cairo Santos, kicker Tulane.
Not a bad mock at all
Originally posted by tohara3:
Not a bad mock at all

Thanks man.
Share 49ersWebzone