There are 203 users in the forums

First Mock Draft (14 picks)

It's possible this mock draft is completely off because I couldn't get a great sense of where some guys are projected to go in the draft. But I tried it out, with all of the expected compensatory selections according to Maiocco. Here we go:

1. Jesse Williams NT, Alabama

Williams' stats aren't great but his value comes from him being a huge, strong guy that clogs up the middle (he bench pressed 600 pounds). Alabama's run defense is significantly better when he's in the game and I love the idea of him just taking up space at NT.

2. TJ McDonald FS, USC

I didn't know about this one because I don't love the idea of taking a safety from USC again, but McDonald seems like a much more complete prospect. He can deliver the big hit but is also good in coverage. I also can't pretend like I wouldn't love to see him playing for us just because his dad did. He reminds me a bit of Goldson, and even if Goldson doesn't leave, he can provide depth at the position. If we want to go with a different position at this spot, we could also look at someone like Baccari Rambo later.

3. Cornellius Carradine OLB, FSU

Projected to be a first round pick before his ACL injury, I'd love to take advantage of Carradine falling just because of injury. You can never have too many pass rushing OLBs and this guy was quickly rising up draft boards before his injury.

3. Marquess Wilson WR, Washington State

I wasn't sure about this one either because I also like Da'Rick Rogers, but I think Wilson's speed is more of what this team needs right now. Also we'd likely have to take Rogers at a higher spot than here. He's a big target (6'4") but he also has the speed to be a deep threat. He's another guy who has first round talent but has fallen because he left the team midseason. We have a lot of WRs now, but Moss will probably be gone, possibly Manningham the year after that, so we could stand to develop another one.

3. Fauria TE, UCLA

I'll admit I may be biased with this one because I go to UCLA. But I've been to all of their games and he catches EVERYTHING. It'd be great to have a target as big as him (6'7") for our QB. Apparently he's not the greatest blocker, but the coaches can instill that in him. He'll be a dynamic threat in the passing game and I think he's going to be a steal.

4. Knile Davis RB, Arkansas

This one is tough because I can't seem to get a good read on where he's projected to go. He has an extensive injury history, otherwise he'd be a first rounder and he hasn't looked great coming back from injury this year. Again, I'd love to take advantage of him falling due to injury a la Frank Gore. Has a ton of talent and we can never have too many RBs. And if he doesn't pan out, we have the RB depth to survive. Low risk/high upside pick. If I am naive and he'll be taken much higher than this, I'd also love Christine Michael from Texas A&M.

5. Margus Hunt DE, SMU

This guy intrigues me because he's the perfect size for a 3-4 DE (6'7", 285) and CBSSports named him the #1 Freak Athlete in college football. He's from Estonia and used to compete in the shot put. He may be relatively new to football, but I'm okay with letting an athletic freak just sit, watch, and learn from Justin Smith for a couple of years.

5. Graham Pocic C, Illinois

I'm not convinced the Niners will let Goodwin go, but they could still draft someone to develop behind him. This guy is unique because he's so tall (6'7") and could be a nice project.

6. Sanders Commings CB, Georgia

Underrated, physical corner that provides depth in our secondary.

6. Dustin Hopkins K, Florida State

We at least need kicking competition and this guy is the best in college football.

7. Bruce Taylor ILB, Virginia Tech

Larry Grant may leave in FA, this guy provides depth or goes to the practice squad.

7. Mark Jackson, OT, Glenville State

We could use some guys to develop as backup tackles.

7. LaAdrian Waddle OT, Texas Tech

Same as Jackson.

7. Dustin Harris CB, Texas A&M

Good special teams returner, depth at CB.
looks good but is margus hunt going to be around in the 5th round, I've seen him mocked in rounds 1 to 3 we might want to get him in an earlier round and get a tall physical project wr in the later rounds since KW will be back next year and Jenkins will be playing next year as well
[ Edited by 228niner on Dec 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM ]
I agree wit 228niner, would love to snag margus hunt but ewe cant lunch on him we need to pull the trigger with one of our 3rd round picks. I really dont like the tj mcdonald pick. Would rather get okafor in the 1st and nt in the 2nd then margus hunt,rb,wr,safety
Now that I've discovered Phillip Thomas, here's my updated mock:

1. Jesse Williams NT, Alabama
2. Margus Hunt DE, SMU
3. Cornellius Carradine OLB, FSU
3. Marquess Wilson WR, Washington State
3. Joseph Fauria TE, UCLA
4. Knile Davis RB, Arkansas
5. Phillip Thomas FS, Fresno State
5. Graham Pocic C, Illinois
6. Sanders Commings CB, Georgia
6. Dustin Hopkins K, Florida State
7. Will Compton ILB, Nebraska