There are 176 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Nick's Early Offseason Projection and Mock Draft

Here we go:

Compensatory picks at the end of the 3rd and end of the 7th.

Losses/(*)non-guaranteed contract for training camp:

Smith, Alex
Goodwin, Jonathan
Sopoaga, Isaac
Akers, David
Haralson, Parys
Moss, Randy
Walker, Delanie
Jacobs, Brandon
Ginn Jr., Ted
Grant, Larry
Haggans, Clark
Davis, Leonard
Brock, Tramaine
*McBath, Darcel
*Wilhoite, Michael
*Jerod-Eddie, Tony
*Thomas, Michael
*Netter, Al
*Wiggins, Kenny
*Lockette, Ricardo
*Whitley, Eddie
*Hall, Chad
* Cam Johnson

Re-Signed:

Goldson, Dashon
Gooden, Tavares
Jean Francois, Ricky



1. Robert Woods, WR, USC - Speedy, Explosive Wide Receiver similar to A.J. Jenkins. With the departure of Moss and Ginn, the uncertain injury recovery of Kyle Williams, and the Free agency of Mario Manningham after the 2013 season, Wide Receiver is again an issue. Woods can also play special teams.

2. Jonathan Jenkins, NT, Georgia - Sopoaga is not retained, and RJF is re-signed. As a result, we need a younger NT prospect to develop. RJF can play NT if Jenkins is not ready, and when Jenkins is ready RJF will slide out to the end position to replace/spell Ray McDonald or Justin Smith

3a (from CAR). Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford - Don't be surprised if we take a RB in the first three rounds. Jacobs is long-gone and Kendall Hunter is recoving from an achilles injury that very few players ever 100% recover from. Taylor is a complete back, a 3-down back, knows the offense, and can return kicks. I have seen his running style favorably compared to Frank Gore, who will presumably retire after his contract is up in 2014.

3b. Bacarri Rambo, FS/SS, Georgia - Litle depth at the Safety position. Off the field problems have dropped this talented player a few notches, but he can play both safety positions at a high level.

3c (compensatory). Mario Benavides, C, Louisville - Goodwin is cut because he is simply not worth the additional salary. Benavides is brought in and competes with Kilgore for the starting Center position.

4. Jordan Reed, TE/HB/WR, Florida - We replace Delanie Walker with a better version of Delanie Walker. Reed can play play the 'swiss army knife' role that Walker has, and has more potential as a play-maker.

5a (from MIA). Tyrann Mathieu, S/KR/PR, LSU S - The Honey Badger! Getting kicked off the team has cost this man millions. The Honey Badger can come in and return punts and play a little dime in the secondary if necessary. high-risk/high-reward

5b. Denard Robinson, QB/RB/WR/ATH, Michigan - Alex Smith is traded/released, and we opt to keep only two primary quarterbacks on the roster. However, Baalke decides to draft Denard Robinson as an 'athlete' that can play in the slot, a little bit at running back, gadget plays, maybe return kicks, and ** will also serve as the emergency quarterback.

6a (from IND). Omar Hunter, DL, Florida - Depth on the defensive line.

6b. ** Traded for future picks (or trade-up)

7a (from CAR). Bruce Taylor, ILB, Virginia Tech - Larry Grant leaves in free agency.

7b (from CIN). ** Traded for future picks (or trade-up)

7c. Brett Maher, K, Nebraska - Open competition to replace Akers. We will draft a kicker in the 7th, I picked Maher over Hopkins. We'll bring in some UDFAs and guys off the street to kick too.

7d (compensatory). Matt Summers-Gavin, OT, California OT - Tackle depth.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Dec 6, 2012 at 9:50 AM ]
Here's the roster (scrubs not included)

Name Position

Centers:
Kilgore, Daniel C
Mario Benavides, C, Louisville

Defensive Backs
Brown, Tarell DB
Cox, Perrish DB
Culliver, Chris DB
Rogers, Carlos DB
Goldson, Dashon DB
Spillman, C.J. DB
Bacarri Rambo, FS/SS, Georgia DB
Tyrann Mathieu, S/KR/PR, LSU DB
Whitner, Donte SS
Robinson, Trenton SS

Defensive Line:
Smith, Justin DL
McDonald, Ray DL
Omar Hunter, DL, Florida DL
Tukuafu, Will DL
Williams, Ian DL
Jonathan Jenkins, NT, Georgia DL
Jean Francois, Ricky DL
Dobbs, Demarcus DL

Inside Linebackers:
Gooden, Tavares ILB
Willis, Patrick ILB
Bowman, NaVorro ILB
Bruce Taylor, ILB, Virginia Tech ILB

Special Teams:
Brett Maher, K, Nebraska K
Jennings, Brian LS
Lee, Andy P

Offensive Tackles:
Staley, Joe OT
Matt Summers-Gavin, OT, California
Davis, Anthony OT

Offensive Guards:
Iupati, Mike OG
Looney, Joe OG
Boone, Alex OG

Outside Linebackers:
Johnson, Cam OLB
Smith, Aldon OLB
Fleming, Darius OLB
Brooks, Ahmad OLB

Quarterbacks:
Kaepernick, Colin QB
Tolzien, Scott QB


Running Backs:
Miller, Bruce RB
Dixon, Anthony RB
Gore, Frank RB
Hampton, Jewel RB
Hunter, Kendall RB
James, LaMichael RB
Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford RB

Tight Ends:
Davis, Vernon TE
Celek, Garrett TE
Jordan Reed, TE/HB/WR, Florida TE

Wide Receivers:
Crabtree, Michael WR
Manningham, Mario WR
Williams, Kyle WR
Jenkins, A.J. WR
Robert Woods, WR, USC WR
Denard Robinson, QB/RB/WR/ATH, Michigan WR
The Panthers 7th is in 2014. Also I expect a comp 7th extra so no need to adjust.

Here is a name to remember, Giorgio Tavecchio, mini-pre-2012 Akers. Kid is a Cal kid, so he has roots, not sure where he is, but would make perfect camp battle with Maher.
I like the Rambo pick, he's got 1st round talent but will drop due to character issues, much in the same fashion as Bowman. I think picking a WR in the 1st round is a waste, and I say a waste because this team hasn't shown any sort of inclination to throw the ball regularly, with Crabtree, Manningham and Jenkins they're solid enough to not have to go early for a WR they likely won't even use. I'm also not impressed whatsoever with the early crop of WR's in this year's draft, the only guy I'd be comfortable dropping a 1st rounder on is Keenan Allen.

Jenkins won't be available in the 2nd round, at least not where the 49ers will be picking.


Also don't like the Jordan Reed pick, the 49ers DON'T need another Delanie Walker, they need a big, explosive receiving target that can identify weak spots in the zone and make plays, which is a lot more useful than the "jack of all trades/master of none" kind of player.


The biggest weakness I see is no major additions of a 3-4 DE who can rotate in and out with Smith and McDonald regularly.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
The Panthers 7th is in 2014. Also I expect a comp 7th extra so no need to adjust.

Here is a name to remember, Giorgio Tavecchio, mini-pre-2012 Akers. Kid is a Cal kid, so he has roots, not sure where he is, but would make perfect camp battle with Maher.
Wasn't he with the Niners in preseason/training camp this year? I could see him returning next year as well, maybe a little bit stronger (he was pretty accurate, but depth of his kickoffs might have been a concern.)
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
The Panthers 7th is in 2014. Also I expect a comp 7th extra so no need to adjust.

Here is a name to remember, Giorgio Tavecchio, mini-pre-2012 Akers. Kid is a Cal kid, so he has roots, not sure where he is, but would make perfect camp battle with Maher.
Wasn't he with the Niners in preseason/training camp this year? I could see him returning next year as well, maybe a little bit stronger (he was pretty accurate, but depth of his kickoffs might have been a concern.)

Yep, he was like Akers before his slump. Kid was ballin from 50 and even 60 yards.
I see the team keeping the OL and Goodwin together for 2013. Why mess with a good thing.

1. Zach Ertz- Delanie Walker is not re signed, Ertz is a perfect complement TE that will see the field often in his rookie year (what a concept)

2. NT, Safety, all areas of need. Would bump up need for qb if talent level drops into 3rd round where the value is too great to pass up.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I like the Rambo pick, he's got 1st round talent but will drop due to character issues, much in the same fashion as Bowman. I think picking a WR in the 1st round is a waste, and I say a waste because this team hasn't shown any sort of inclination to throw the ball regularly, with Crabtree, Manningham and Jenkins they're solid enough to not have to go early for a WR they likely won't even use. I'm also not impressed whatsoever with the early crop of WR's in this year's draft, the only guy I'd be comfortable dropping a 1st rounder on is Keenan Allen.

Jenkins won't be available in the 2nd round, at least not where the 49ers will be picking.


Also don't like the Jordan Reed pick, the 49ers DON'T need another Delanie Walker, they need a big, explosive receiving target that can identify weak spots in the zone and make plays, which is a lot more useful than the "jack of all trades/master of none" kind of player.


The biggest weakness I see is no major additions of a 3-4 DE who can rotate in and out with Smith and McDonald regularly.

1. I expect Harbaugh to gradually throw more as Kaepernick develops
2. Jenkins is 60 - 80 in most top 100 boards, so I thought that spot was appropriate.
3. Somebody has to play the H-Back position!
4. With a NT added in, RJF can spell Smith and McD
Originally posted by nickbradley:
1. I expect Harbaugh to gradually throw more as Kaepernick develops
2. Jenkins is 60 - 80 in most top 100 boards, so I thought that spot was appropriate.
3. Somebody has to play the H-Back position!
4. With a NT added in, RJF can spell Smith and McD

1. The problem is there's no value at WR, its Keenan Allen and then there will be some reaches. Also Woods has been freefalling on various draft boards, totally afraid to take any QB's, RB's or WR's from USC to boot.

2. He's expected to go anywhere from the mid 1st round to mid 2nd round. He's routinely ranked as one of the Top 3 NT's in the draft and his massive size will be quite appealing to a variety of teams. Kwame Geathers, his teammates, will probably be available around the early 3rd to early 4th round range.

3. Says who? Just because Walker is an h-back due to his build, doesn't mean the 49ers necessarily did it by choice. Look at the TE's Harbaugh had at Stanford in guys like Fleener, Ertz, Toilolo, Reuland, which of those guys was an h-back type? I think the 49ers could do well with a traditional, tall, receiving tight end such as what Harbaugh repeatedly utilized at Stanford.

4. The problem is you want a guy to eventually replace Justin Smith, you might get 2 more highly productive seasons from him, 3 if you're lucky but at some point he's going to stumble and become less effective, one of my biggest concerns for this year is finding a true 3-4 DE to replace him eventually. Last year I was a huge proponent of Kendall Reyes and Derek Wolfe as 3-4 DE prospects.