There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MBA's Mock Draft ver 1.0

With 3/4 of the season done and the bowl season approaching, here's my first shot at the Niners draft next year. This draft is based on the Niners draft positioning as of today and the CBS Sports Prospect rankings. Here are some basic assumptions to about who stays and who goes prior to the draft:

Gone
Alex Smith

Soap
Moss
Jacobs
Grant
Akers

Bubble
Goldson
Goodwin
Dixon

Round 1 Jesse Williams NT Alabama 6'3" 320 lbs- (move up with Carolina's 3rd round pick into the twenties) new NT to rotate with RJF with Soap gone.
Round 2 Anthony Barr OLB UCLA - 6'3" 238 lbs - late rising prospect who can rush the passer, drop into coverage or play the run.
Round 3 Logan Ryan CB Rutgers - 6'0" 190 lbs - never can have too many CB's in the NFL.
Round 4 Christine Michael RB Texas A&M 5'11" 220 lbs - Gore type RB to add depth.
Round 5 Rick Wagner OT Wisconsin 6'8" 318 lbs - replaced Gabe Carimi as the Wisconsin starter when he graduated; experience at RT and LT (from Colts)
Round 5 Brandon Williams DT Missouri Southern St 6'2 328 lbs - depth for D line; small school stud prospect
Round 6 Marcus Davis WR VA Tech 6'4" 232 lbs - developmental big WR (from Dolphins)
Round 6 Brad Sorensen QB Southern Utah 6'4" 235 lbs - 3rd QB prospect
Round 7 Quinn Sharp K Oklahoma St - See you later Akers; can also punt and handle kickoffs (from Dolphins)
Round 7 Bruce Taylor ILB VA Tech 6'2" 244 lbs - depth behind our studs (from Bengals)
Round 7 Jon Boyett FS Oregon 5'10" 205 lbs - safety and ST
Good post.

I really like the NT from Alabama in the first. I think he'll hold against the run very well and get more pressure up the middle in passing plays.

I also really like the QB - Sorensen. I think we may have to move up to get him - maybe late 4th early 5th.

Good move on K - Sharp in the 7th

WHY?:

Why keep Delaine and why is Dixon on the Bubble? Both should be give carfare out of town on the A train.

Why take an OLB in the 2nd? We can get an impact Safety like McDonald. We already have 2 guys on the roster to groom for the spot.

Wh
Christine--lol
and a boy named Sue
I like it especially the NT from Alabama since soap probably want be back and also like the kicker need to get younger at that position and Akers had lost a step. Also, Goodwin, Walker, and Dixon is gone after the season....
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post.

I really like the NT from Alabama in the first. I think he'll hold against the run very well and get more pressure up the middle in passing plays.

I also really like the QB - Sorensen. I think we may have to move up to get him - maybe late 4th early 5th.

Good move on K - Sharp in the 7th

WHY?:

Why keep Delaine and why is Dixon on the Bubble? Both should be give carfare out of town on the A train.

Why take an OLB in the 2nd? We can get an impact Safety like McDonald. We already have 2 guys on the roster to groom for the spot.

Wh

Forget about Walker, but he is a question mark, too. He makes enough good plays as
a receiver and a blocker that they may resign him. Just a feeling.

Dixon might stick on ST.

If the Niners go for a safety in the second, I would also consider Kenny Vacarro from Texas at that spot.
i love the anthony barr pick...but we might be able to get him in the 3rd or 4th, he is very underrated and under the radar rite now. Barr is a legit 3-4 OLB who is a beast against run and awesome in coverage and can also rush the passer...this kid is guna be a stud in NFL. hard to believe it is only his 1st yr playing on defense
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Forget about Walker, but he is a question mark, too. He makes enough good plays as

Dixon might stick on ST.

If the Niners go for a safety in the second, I would also consider Kenny Vacarro from Texas at that spot.

Too bad Vacarro will probably be gone before the 49ers 1st round pick considering the safety depth in this draft.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Dixon might stick on ST.

Too bad Vacarro will probably be gone before the 49ers 1st round pick considering the safety depth in this draft.

According to CBS Sports, Vacarro is a 2nd - 3rd round pick rated #75 on their board. I know that is just an opinion, but it still is a far cry from a top 30 prospect. Looks like they have a ton of offensive and defensive lineman in the top 30 range but only one safety (Eric Reid from LSU).
Not bad. I don't think we need to take a backup OLB in second. I would like to take a FS earlier because I don't think we'll re-sign Goldson. Also, I don't think we need anymore RBs, we will have 5 already next year. I love the VT picks, and the kicker in 7th.
Originally posted by niners9:
Not bad. I don't think we need to take a backup OLB in second. I would like to take a FS earlier because I don't think we'll re-sign Goldson. Also, I don't think we need anymore RBs, we will have 5 already next year. I love the VT picks, and the kicker in 7th.

The OLB pick is because I don't think we have suitable depth at the position at this point. When I did this mock, I thought the Niners would find a way to re-sign Goldson. Then he committed the bonehead penalty against the Rams and now I'm not so sure. The RB pick is to replace Jacobs who will be long gone next year. A new kicker is a must.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Love the Barr pick, I really want the Niners to grab a 3rd OLB early, Ive noticed Brooks and Smith getting tired legs out there
Need to have one more guy to keep em all fresh, I doubt Fleming or Cam Johnson step up to that leval

I'd prefer we draft Chase Thomas for that role (trade up in the 2nd)
[ Edited by cools on Dec 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM ]
Originally posted by cools:
Love the Barr pick, I really want the Niners to grab a 3rd OLB early, Ive noticed Brooks and Smith getting tired legs out there
Need to have one more guy to keep em all fresh, I doubt Fleming or Cam Johnson step up to that leval

I'd prefer we draft Chase Thomas for that role (trade up in the 2nd)

I'd happily grab Alex Okafor in the 1st round or Chase Thomas in the 2nd and not look back, both would be legitimate subs at OLB and eventual starters down the road.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Nice job.
I like:
Jesse Williams in the first.
Brandon Williams in the fourth.
Rick Wagner in the fifth.
Brad Sorensen in the sixth.
I like the idea of taking the kicker in the seventh.

Barr is an intriguing player. I think he is converted fullback and has taken the PAC 12 by storm.
But,a second round pick seems a bit high for a back-up outside linebacker.
I would take *Cordarrelle Patterson 6-3 from Tennessee in the second.

In the third, I would take Phillip Thomas, the safety from Fresno St.
Then I would trade our fourth round pick, one sixth round pick, and one of our seventh round picks to move back into the third.
Then I would take Logan Ryan with that second third round pick.

If Hunter is projected to return I would not take a running back in this draft.
With Gore, Hunter, James, and Hampton, we should be fine at running back.
So, I use this pick as the base to trade up to get Ryan in the third.

I would take OLB Quanterus Smith from W. Kentucky with our remaining sixth round picks.
Originally posted by buck:
Nice job.
I like:
Jesse Williams in the first.
Brandon Williams in the fourth.
Rick Wagner in the fifth.
Brad Sorensen in the sixth.
I like the idea of taking the kicker in the seventh.

Barr is an intriguing player. I think he is converted fullback and has taken the PAC 12 by storm.
But,a second round pick seems a bit high for a back-up outside linebacker.
I would take *Cordarrelle Patterson 6-3 from Tennessee in the second.

In the third, I would take Phillip Thomas, the safety from Fresno St.
Then I would trade our fourth round pick, one sixth round pick, and one of our seventh round picks to move back into the third.
Then I would take Logan Ryan with that second third round pick.

If Hunter is projected to return I would not take a running back in this draft.
With Gore, Hunter, James, and Hampton, we should be fine at running back.
So, I use this pick as the base to trade up to get Ryan in the third.

I would take OLB Quanterus Smith from W. Kentucky with our remaining sixth round picks.

I get what you are saying about the OLB position. The Niners still have their two draft picks from this past year in Fleming and Johnson at OLB that have not played due to injury and Smith was pretty good before he got hurt this year. Taking another big WR early would make sense if Moss is gone.

The RB pick is purely a luxury pick. Gore always appears to slow down toward the end of the year, and I think the Niners could use another back like him, just in case.
Love DT Williams from Mssu plays 15 min up the road from where I live. 3 time AFCA division 2 all American. He will be at the Senior Bowl. This year he recorded 68 tackles with 16.5 for a loss and 8.5 sacks. He was a man amongst boys.