LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

should we take a CB in the first three rounds?

I think we should take a CB in the first three rounds. Brown is a free agent after the 2013 season and Carlos Rogers skills could go into decline (or maybe they already are).

Im not talking about getting q prototype sized CB to line up on the outside like Culliver. rather, I'd like an averaged sized guy with good agility for the inside nickel position. I would also like them to be able to contribute immediately on special teams.

a guy I think of is Jordan Poyer from Oregon State. he's the exact same size and speed of Rogers, and he is a playmaker. He's returned INTs for touchdowns and is a solid punt returner. I imagine we could get him in the late second round.

thoughts?
Top 10 beaver plays from 2011. 9, 5, and 2 are Poyer. #9 are his 2 INTs vs Osweiler, #5 is his INT TD, and #2 is an 85 yard punt return TD.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=uuQK2HYGFeg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DuuQK2HYGFeg
It seems that we have hard time containing or shutting down WRs like Amandola or V. Cruz. I would love to have 49ers draft a CB that can contain these guys.
I think we can, I believe the next draft is simply finding guys to groom for players that might leave or retire. I'm thinking, someone on the d line for Justin smith and a possible nt, since well probably lose one of them. Also a replacement for Rogers and a center would be a possibility. Probably another wr since we have moss on a 1 year deal, ginn on a 1 year deal and Kyle Williams with an Acl tear.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
I think we can, I believe the next draft is simply finding guys to groom for players that might leave or retire. I'm thinking, someone on the d line for Justin smith and a possible nt, since well probably lose one of them. Also a replacement for Rogers and a center would be a possibility. Probably another wr since we have moss on a 1 year deal, ginn on a 1 year deal and Kyle Williams with an Acl tear.

Yes. But assuming Alex Smith leaves, Goldson is a lock to re-sign. That makes our draft options wide open.

I do not expect Sopoaga to re sign, but I dp think we give RJF a deal. That makes drafting a NT in the first two days a need. If we lose Sopoaga and RJF I think we have to go NT very early.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Yes. But assuming Alex Smith leaves, Goldson is a lock to re-sign. That makes our draft options wide open.

I do not expect Sopoaga to re sign, but I dp think we give RJF a deal. That makes drafting a NT in the first two days a need. If we lose Sopoaga and RJF I think we have to go NT very early.

Exactly!
Im on board as long as the value is there over the front 7. What round is Trufant expected to go? Maybe move up in the second to get him?
Nope
Cut Rogers give the money to Goldson and draft a CB early
I'd like to see them go defense heavy early on in this draft. There's going to be some terrific cornerback and safety prospects available. If they have issues with Goldson then a good guy worth looking at is T.J. McDonald from USC, either as a replacement for Goldson or as an eventual replacement for Whitner. At cornerback there's a lot of terrific prospects this year, ranging from big, physical guys to quick, smaller slot type cornerbacks. If they're going early, I'd love for them to snag Trufant from Washington, Hawthorne from Illinois or Roby from Ohio State. In later rounds you should see guys like Tyrann Mathieu and Leon McFadden being available at CB also.

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:

i wouldnt call goldson a lock--if some team offers more then he could leave
Trufant is beast
Originally posted by spizzy:
Trufant is beast

This, have a very very damn good feeling about him. Football runs in that family and Desmond's got a chance at being a better player than his brother who currently plays for the Seahawks. He's solid everywhere, decent size, good coverage skills, good awareness, nice athletic ability....etc, very good player.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Do u guys not notice they don't throw as much to rogers. Hence his numbers go down. You guys are ubnderappreciating him. He was the best corner for redskins and best for us right now. But brown should cover the faster receivers which is not the case
Originally posted by fan49:
Do u guys not notice they don't throw as much to rogers. Hence his numbers go down. You guys are ubnderappreciating him. He was the best corner for redskins and best for us right now. But brown should cover the faster receivers which is not the case

Thats fine, still think they need at least one more solid cornerback, especially in a passing league.
Share 49ersWebzone