There are 201 users in the forums

AB's Mock Offseason V 2.0

I think we are in desperate need of some reserve talent in the OL.
Hey AB can you please do the numbers with the team keeping Alex Smith. I really don't think the Niners are going to just let him go. If they pay him the roster bonus can they still trade him and not take a cap hit? The draft is weak this year with QBs. If Kaep works out we could get a first rd pick for Smith.
It may come down 1 of these 3 things to get cap room.

1. Cut Alex Smith

2. Redo Justin Smith and Keep Alex Smith

3. Both Redo Justin Smith and Cut Alex Smith

As for his ramifications, he is due a $1M roster bonus within first 5 days of new league year, around beginning of March, and $1M is guaranteed of his base salary, so we could chance getting something that is worth losing an extra $1M in cap room.
Genius work, as usual. I wish someone would get you set up with 18 holes with Gideon and Praag to shoot the s**t.
AB- respect as always. I agree with 99% of your post, however I feel a few items would improve the team.

1. Keep Larry Grant as ILB if possible, he is a special teams player and can back up both ILB spots.
2. I would let Delanie Walk, controversial, yes. I have my eyes on Zach Ertz, he is a junior out of Stanford that I think will declare for the draft after the Rose bowl. Ertz played at Monte Vista and his position coach in high school and mentor was Brent Jones. I would burn the first pick in the draft for the niners on Ertz, as he would fite the need of back up TE, and big play receiver.
3. I might be ignorant, but I think Ian Williams will be active on game days in 2013. The question is who wil the team resign, RJF or ICE. ICE love the niners, SF is close to American Samoa. He signed last free agency period early against his agents advice, as he does not like change. I think he would sign a 3 year 7.5 million dollar deal. If this happens, RJF would probably test FA.
4. I would not burn two picks on OLB. The team has two starters locked up under contract, and Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson one will emerge. Spend one draft pick on OLB.
5. QB is the most important position on any team. I would say with the luxury of so many draft picks, IF, and a big IF there is a good qb with thepick in round 3, or pick 4 or 5, I would say pull the trigger, as the rookie cap the dollar amount is pretty close.
6. Draft a big possession type WR.
7. I would extend Manningham NOW. He has shown enough to lock him up for 5 years.
Originally posted by 9erred:
AB- respect as always. I agree with 99% of your post, however I feel a few items would improve the team.

1. Keep Larry Grant as ILB if possible, he is a special teams player and can back up both ILB spots.
2. I would let Delanie Walk, controversial, yes. I have my eyes on Zach Ertz, he is a junior out of Stanford that I think will declare for the draft after the Rose bowl. Ertz played at Monte Vista and his position coach in high school and mentor was Brent Jones. I would burn the first pick in the draft for the niners on Ertz, as he would fite the need of back up TE, and big play receiver.
3. I might be ignorant, but I think Ian Williams will be active on game days in 2013. The question is who wil the team resign, RJF or ICE. ICE love the niners, SF is close to American Samoa. He signed last free agency period early against his agents advice, as he does not like change. I think he would sign a 3 year 7.5 million dollar deal. If this happens, RJF would probably test FA.
4. I would not burn two picks on OLB. The team has two starters locked up under contract, and Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson one will emerge. Spend one draft pick on OLB.
5. QB is the most important position on any team. I would say with the luxury of so many draft picks, IF, and a big IF there is a good qb with thepick in round 3, or pick 4 or 5, I would say pull the trigger, as the rookie cap the dollar amount is pretty close.
6. Draft a big possession type WR.
7. I would extend Manningham NOW. He has shown enough to lock him up for 5 years.

If we keep our picks, I would take Ertz in rd 3. I also will extend Mario in this next mock offseason.
damnit, I had my new offseason almost done, and now I got new info, and I tweeted it.

Jay Hurley ‏@AB83Rules
In addiition to Ray McDonald lowering his 2012 base salary, he has apparently lowered his 2013 base salary to $715K from $3.15M
Share 49ersWebzone