LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

CBSSports.com 2013 Mock Drafts

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock Updated -11/21/12

Rob Rang's Pick at #30 - DE Dion Jordan, Oregon

Sources suggest that when San Francisco general manager Trent Baalke boastfully commented prior to the 2012 draft that he already knew who the 49ers would be selecting he was referring to West Virginia pass rusher Bruce Irvin. Irvin, of course, never made it to San Francisco, surprisingly earning the No. 15 overall selection by NFC West rival Seattle. The 6-5, 255-pound Jordan has a similar lanky build and natural pass rush skills as Irvin and is better in coverage. Sure the 49ers already boast arguably the league's toughest defense but that won't stop them from adding to their pass rush should a difference-maker still be on the board.
[ Edited by PTulini on Nov 24, 2012 at 5:02 PM ]
Although I'd like another pass rusher, I just don't see it with either of our first two picks. Although we need depth at the OLB position, whoever is the number 3 guy won't play enough to justify being a first round pick. Not in 2013, not in 2014, and not in 2015. Not with Ahmad Brooks and Aldon Smith out there. A guy that can play 3-4 DE, NT, FS, or even TE (I like Delanie Walker, but we should be getting more from the 2nd TE in this offense in terms of receiving). The only reason OLB seems like a need is because we had a lot of injuries at the position this year (Parys Haralson, Darius Fleming, and Cam Johnson). I could see us picking up another OLB after the 2nd round.

Trent Baalke does have a track record of surprises with his first picks, but the guys always fill positions of clear need. I
That's where GM's make mistakes. Draft the best player avaiable and let the chips fall. I think it would be great to have another pass rusher at OLB to give A Smith and Brooks rest during games. We made a mistake not drafting Janoris Jenkins in the frist round last year. Sure AJ Jenkins may turn out to be fine but he wasn't the best player available last year and we drafted a WR out of need.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
That's where GM's make mistakes. Draft the best player avaiable and let the chips fall. I think it would be great to have another pass rusher at OLB to give A Smith and Brooks rest during games. We made a mistake not drafting Janoris Jenkins in the frist round last year. Sure AJ Jenkins may turn out to be fine but he wasn't the best player available last year and we drafted a WR out of need.

J.Jenkins is a head case, Happy with Jenkins, he is for the future.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:

J.Jenkins is a head case, Happy with Jenkins, he is for the future.

Hopefully AJ pans out, but I can't fault them for passing on Pacman's brother.
  • bors
  • Veteran
go ducks
I can't wait until 2013 and 2014 when I can bump up threads slamming the Jenkins and James picks. I think we will have an explosive offense and Jenkins and James will both be key parts. No way you take a guy like Janoris Jenkins in the first.
NT or DE is where I'd go.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Manny Lawson 2.0

Every rush from him is a speed rush to the outside, he doesn't run through guys ever. He's listed at 6'7" 243 on the Ducks website, that's way too lean to be a pass rusher in the NFL. His best fit would be with a 4-3 team at linebacker.
WalterFootball's new mock is currently calling for us to take Stanford linebacker Chase Thomas in the second-round. He thinks the first-round should go for a safety due to tagging Goldson last year.

WalterFootball is terrible, guy has no clue.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I can't wait until 2013 and 2014 when I can bump up threads slamming the Jenkins and James picks. I think we will have an explosive offense and Jenkins and James will both be key parts. No way you take a guy like Janoris Jenkins in the first.

David Wilson.

It's all water under the bridge. It's also a bit presumptious, for me at least, to think that one knows better than the guy who does it for a living. If irvine was indeed his first choice, it would have been a good one though.
Definitely would not go OLB in the first. NT or 3-4 DE would be my call. The Niners will have Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson already on the roster or practice squad to back up Brooks and A. Smith. If the right guy is there in the second round or later, I would take one.
Personally, I'm starting to like Purdue DT Kawann Short
I like Jessie WIlliams from Bama. Not sure if he would last until we pick but when I have watched Alabama he has looked like a stud in the middle of the line.
Share 49ersWebzone