LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

Would you take Matt Barkley in the 2nd?

Would be a bargain pick if he was there in the 2nd, especially given his shoulder injury. Would you pick him in the second, just in case Kaep doesn't work out?
IMO it's too early to discuss where he'll go but nk, I wouldn't. I'm not a fan.
He looks short and all the Qbs out of Southern Cal never make a splash in the pros.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
they've hit the nail on the head. all of SC QBs are marginal in the NFL, Barkley is on the short side of 6'2", he's not overtly athletic, doesn't have a particularly strong arm.

Then no to mention a SI/ESPN writer (dont recall which) wrote a piece about him and said NFL scouts have said Barkley's ability to play well is entirely predicated on good decisions and timing based throws, that if if a play breaks down he wont be a QB who will be able to improv or make something out of nothing. My interpretation of that quote is that in the NFL he will be captain checkdown.
Originally posted by sfout:
they've hit the nail on the head. all of SC QBs are marginal in the NFL, Barkley is on the short side of 6'2", he's not overtly athletic, doesn't have a particularly strong arm.

Then no to mention a SI/ESPN writer (dont recall which) wrote a piece about him and said NFL scouts have said Barkley's ability to play well is entirely predicated on good decisions and timing based throws, that if if a play breaks down he wont be a QB who will be able to improv or make something out of nothing. My interpretation of that quote is that in the NFL he will be captain checkdown.

ive seen some mocks going top 5 overall.
He wouldnt fit in our offense. He can't bootleg and s**t
Good points, although I've learnt to somewhat take what writers and analysts say with a grain of salt. Look what they said about Russell Wilson, and many others who they thought was going to tank. You're right about SC quarterbacks though - too much of a bad track record; although I've often seen him throw receivers open, and make throws that some QB's in the league struggle with. The lack of ability to improv is a concern though, and that's something I know Baalke is big on, since he highlighted that specific skill set when he drafted Kaep.
Originally posted by GoforJimmy:
Good points, although I've learnt to somewhat take what writers and analysts say with a grain of salt. Look what they said about Russell Wilson, and many others who they thought was going to tank. You're right about SC quarterbacks though - too much of a bad track record; although I've often seen him throw receivers open, and make throws that some QB's in the league struggle with. The lack of ability to improv is a concern though, and that's something I know Baalke is big on, since he highlighted that specific skill set when he drafted Kaep.

Something that Alex Smith isn't good at.
No, and I hope he goes high.

That will be one more spot that just might give us a shot at someone special.
f**k NO

He will still be a top 10 Pick. There was talk the year Locker got drafted he might fall to the 2nd. He was the 8th pick overall i doubt he will fall out of the top 10.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Kansas City (probably drafting #1) would be stupid to draft Barkley... He is no better then Matt Cassel. The teams that need a QB would be smart to do what Cincinnati did take the stud WR early and go with a QB in the 2nd round.
no
We would be foolish to take a QB that high. I just don't see how he'd bring any more to the team than Smith or Kaep for that matter.
I could see Niners going QB with a 6th ot 7th rounder....
Share 49ersWebzone