LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

Should we trade up to grab the best pass rusher available next year?

Our team is stacked , Jenkins and James have not hit the field yet this season , so who's to say our #1 pick next year will even contribute his rookie season?

Should we package our 2nd round pick, along with our 1st rounder to try and move up to grab one of the best pass rushers in the draft, having another elite pass rusher on the roster would make our defense much tougher to pass against.

So if we had a shot to draft a blue chip , pass rushing OLB , or a disruptive 3-4 DE, should we pull the trigger on a trade and grab another pass rusher

what your opinion zoners ?
we are not stacked once guys leave via FA
A lot will depend how the rest of the season plays out and FA afterwards.

However, at this point I'd say "Go for it!" I'd prefer a VERY disruptive 3-4 DE. We seem solid OLB. Brooks has really stepped it up and I see improvement in every game. Cam & Flemming are waiting in the wings and the jury is still out on them. And FA works both ways. We may lose some players BUT we can also pick up a quality player or two.

The fly in the ointment is JH/Baalke seem to find very good players in other rounds like Hunter. So, maybe we package a bunch of the later round picks and move uo further into the 2nd round and keep our first.

Either way, I feel the impact 3-4 DE is a priority.
NO - Aldon and Brooks are tied up for a while.

BIG WR should be our top priority - even though we got Jenkins, this offense sorely lacks a big body receiver that works the soft areas of a zone over the middle and presents a big throwing window for the QB. No more small quick receivers!!!

(Moss isn't that WR and won't play again next year unless he some how catches fire in the second half of the season.)
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for AUniner.
I don't think so. We want a situational guy that is going to come in on 3rd & long. Should be able to get a quality player in the 3rd or 4th.

Bigger need is a starting safety, big body receiver and a NT IMO.

I've not been a big advocate of resigning Goldson but I think he's done enough to warrant a new contract. Also extending Bowman has to be a big focus. We need to make cap space though.

I think Soap is gone, RJF to take over. Gotta see what he's got.
Whitner to be replaced in the draft, 1st rounder as there looks to be lots of quality safeties this year.
Goodwin could be gone too. Kilgore needs to win that spot.
Extend/reduce Justin's cap number.
Culliver should be starting next year so Harbaalke should be looking at Brown & Rogers contracts too.
Walker resigns cheap or is gone. Same for Ginn, but I don't think they will keep him on the roster as JUST a RS.
With Smith and Brooks locked up I don't think OLB is a first 2 round concern. I can see the logic in drafting Justin Smith's eventual replacement though.
D-Line
1st round - D-Line / Safety
2nd round - Safety / D-Line
3rd round - Big bodied WR / Center
4th round - Center / Pass Rusher
5th round - Corner / Safety
6th round - Guard / MLB

atleast thats how I see it..
[ Edited by denali22 on Nov 8, 2012 at 12:58 AM ]
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
D-Line

remember we have two pass rushers that are going to essentially be rookies next year due to injury, so we don't know what we will have from them
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 228niner:
D-Line

remember we have two pass rushers that are going to essentially be rookies next year due to injury, so we don't know what we will have from them

So are you saying we should or should not draft an OLB early? Because your exact wording is why we should NOT draft one early or at all IMHO. We have 2 players who will have had an entire year to watch the NFL from the sideline and acclimate to the game with 2 training camps(even though Fleming went down on day 1 or something lol) before they even play in the NFL, but Cam did get some snaps in the preseason already which is even better.

Between the 2 of them over 7 seasons they have 26 sacks which I know isn't greatest number but it shows they can get after the QB, and Johnson did it from DE and OLB.

We have far more pressing needs then a day 1 or even day 2 OLB.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
A lot will depend how the rest of the season plays out and FA afterwards.

However, at this point I'd say "Go for it!" I'd prefer a VERY disruptive 3-4 DE. We seem solid OLB. Brooks has really stepped it up and I see improvement in every game. Cam & Flemming are waiting in the wings and the jury is still out on them. And FA works both ways. We may lose some players BUT we can also pick up a quality player or two.

The fly in the ointment is JH/Baalke seem to find very good players in other rounds like Hunter. So, maybe we package a bunch of the later round picks and move uo further into the 2nd round and keep our first.

Either way, I feel the impact 3-4 DE is a priority.

Man , I forgot about Fleming ...Lets hope he comes back healthy and contributes , otherwise we need to find a blue chip 3-4 DE that will eventually replace Cowboy ....but I dont see Cowboy's play declining at all, still playing at a high level
When you're stacked draft BPA plain and simple. No targeting positions.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by 228niner:
D-Line

So are you saying we should or should not draft an OLB early? Because your exact wording is why we should NOT draft one early or at all IMHO. We have 2 players who will have had an entire year to watch the NFL from the sideline and acclimate to the game with 2 training camps(even though Fleming went down on day 1 or something lol) before they even play in the NFL, but Cam did get some snaps in the preseason already which is even better.

Between the 2 of them over 7 seasons they have 26 sacks which I know isn't greatest number but it shows they can get after the QB, and Johnson did it from DE and OLB.

We have far more pressing needs then a day 1 or even day 2 OLB.

I'm saying we shouldn't trade up to get one, because we have some on the shelf already, if one falls to us then so be it, BPA
  • cools
  • Veteran
No, should be good talent when we pick

I like two pac12 guys, D.Jordan, Oregon and C.Thomas, Stanford
[ Edited by cools on Nov 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM ]
Niners need to go best player available in RD1. Need to get DE/DT, FS, WR with first 3 picks!
Share 49ersWebzone