There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Next years draft, what should we do since...

Our current 1st & 2nd rounders are on the bench and don't even suit up for games?

So, with all of those picks next year, we couldn't possibly add that many rookies if we couldn't fit two more this season. Should we be bracing for a roster overhaul or will we draft a bunch of guys that will just be cut after training camp?

Your thoughts?
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Our current 1st & 2nd rounders are on the bench and don't even suit up for games?

So, with all of those picks next year, we couldn't possibly add that many rookies if we couldn't fit two more this season. Should we be bracing for a roster overhaul or will we draft a bunch of guys that will just be cut after training camp?

Your thoughts?

Our roster will most likely be overhauled.

We are in major salary cap problems heading into next year and will have to let players go in free agency.
Just pick players from the SEC any everything will be fine.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Your thoughts?

Our roster will most likely be overhauled.

We are in major salary cap problems heading into next year and will have to let players go in free agency.

I thought we were pretty healthy in regards to the cap?

Maybe we re-up some guys and back load contracts since I heard we front loaded a lot of contracts like PWillis', is this true?
we can add 10 guys easily that could contribute
Sopoaga, Haralson, Ginn, Jacobs, Moss, Haggans will be gone IMO ....

Goldson will be interesting..... If Niners feel they can find his replacement in 2013 draft they will do so early in draft.

Maybe we re-up some guys and back load contracts since I heard we front loaded a lot of contracts like PWillis', is this true?

No, as as of now in 2013 we will have about $3 million in cap room. There is only so much backloading you can do with a contract, espicially since players are usually not too fond of backloaded contracts.

That is very very little. Additionally we have a truck load of guys becoming FAs. Almost all of our FA's will be gone, and we will most likely have to cut players.

The major hits are:
Alex Smith - $9.75 million
Justin Smith - $8.5 million
Vernon Davis - $8.44 million
Carlos Rogers - $7.1 million
Ahmad Brooks - $6.65 million
Frank Gore - $6.45 million
Crabtree - $5.86 million
Goodwin - $5.01 million
Manningham - $4.95 million
Whitner - $4.83 million

IMO, we will most likely be cutting Goodwin. Thats a big salary and he is in his last year of contract. Other potential cuts: Manningham, Whitner, Akers (scheduled to make $3.36 next year).

An example of rookies salary hits:
AJ Jenkins $1.26 million
LaMichael James: 600k

So you probably about $3million for just signing our incoming rookie class. We only have that much money if every FA walks. I think a plausible scenario is we cut Goodwin, use that money to re-sign our top priority FA, let the rest walk, and sign rookies to fill up the roster.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

No, as as of now in 2013 we will have about $3 million in cap room. There is only so much backloading you can do with a contract, espicially since players are usually not too fond of backloaded contracts.

That is very very little. Additionally we have a truck load of guys becoming FAs. Almost all of our FA's will be gone, and we will most likely have to cut players.

The major hits are:
Alex Smith - $9.75 million
Justin Smith - $8.5 million
Vernon Davis - $8.44 million
Carlos Rogers - $7.1 million
Ahmad Brooks - $6.65 million
Frank Gore - $6.45 million
Crabtree - $5.86 million
Goodwin - $5.01 million
Manningham - $4.95 million
Whitner - $4.83 million

IMO, we will most likely be cutting Goodwin. Thats a big salary and he is in his last year of contract. Other potential cuts: Manningham, Whitner, Akers (scheduled to make $3.36 next year).

An example of rookies salary hits:
AJ Jenkins $1.26 million
LaMichael James: 600k

So you probably about $3million for just signing our incoming rookie class. We only have that much money if every FA walks. I think a plausible scenario is we cut Goodwin, use that money to re-sign our top priority FA, let the rest walk, and sign rookies to fill up the roster.

Justin Smith, David Akers, and Donte Whitner are entering the final years of their contracts. If you extend all of them for an additional 3-4 years, you can help shave 10M off the cap in 2013. Plus, release Parys Haralson, C.J. Spillman, and Jonathan Goodwin, and that's an additional 10M in savings.

Now you are at 23M in cap room, letting you resign Goldson, one grade A FA, and the remainder of FA bodies and draft picks.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Justin Smith, David Akers, and Donte Whitner are entering the final years of their contracts. If you extend all of them for an additional 3-4 years, you can help shave 10M off the cap in 2013. Plus, release Parys Haralson, C.J. Spillman, and Jonathan Goodwin, and that's an additional 10M in savings.

Now you are at 23M in cap room, letting you resign Goldson, one grade A FA, and the remainder of FA bodies and draft picks.

re-sign a 37 year old kicker? doubtful....Makes more sense to part ways after, after hitting his epic kick he has been sub-par.

And re-work Justin Smith's contract for LESS of a cap hit? It will be tought, he signed a 6 year $45 million contract (and later re-worked) but the end of his contract is his big pay day. Why would he give that up? He will 34 years old and to re-work his contract he would want a good sized bonus up front to make up for giving up the $8million. And IMO his play has started to decline this year (compared to last year) so I don't think its wise to lock him for longer period of time when he is going to want a big bonus.

Whitner can get re-worked, but he is going to want a pay raise for sure. And since he wants a pay raise, we might save $1 to $1.5 million at best.

If we cut Haralson ($2.8) and Spillman ($1.55) we create $4.35 million.

Your jump to $23 million is crazy optimistic...I think its more likely we do some cutting, re-signing to create up to $10 million in cap space to re-sign one of our top FAs and again go after the draft to rebuild. We will most likely decide between Goldson/Sopoaga, and then let almost everybody else go.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Oct 29, 2012 at 5:12 PM ]

Your thoughts?
We have a little cap room and some aging guys...so there is not that much "luxury" we can afford as some of you think.

Based on SunDevilNiner79's insight, I would not only cut Goodwin but Carlos Rogers also. He is not THAT good this season and I expect a regression in the next...

Your thoughts?

draft 2 pass rushers and olb a safety and a cornerback
I dont think we should cut Rogers, but instead draft a corner after we get a pass rusher and OLB.
And for the other post, why would we cut Spillman? he's possibly the best ST player in the league. We already took big blows when we traded C.Jones and Costanzo. He's an essential piece to our teams success on special teams.
Cox, McBath,Ginn, Haggans Goodwin, Haralson, Moss, Jacobs and possibly Sopoaga are all guys that most likely wont be back.
Whitner and Manningham wont be getting cut unless we can find a legit and clear cut upgrade over Whitner
Whitner played very good last night.

For sure some contracts will be reworked and some current guys will be gone.

I think Goodwin and Haralson will definitely be gone. Hopefully Cam can step up.

Maybe they'll trade some of the picks for the following draft. Going to be a tough call.
Originally posted by GEEK:

re-sign a 37 year old kicker? doubtful....Makes more sense to part ways after, after hitting his epic kick he has been sub-par.

And re-work Justin Smith's contract for LESS of a cap hit? It will be tought, he signed a 6 year $45 million contract (and later re-worked) but the end of his contract is his big pay day. Why would he give that up? He will 34 years old and to re-work his contract he would want a good sized bonus up front to make up for giving up the $8million. And IMO his play has started to decline this year (compared to last year) so I don't think its wise to lock him for longer period of time when he is going to want a big bonus.

Whitner can get re-worked, but he is going to want a pay raise for sure. And since he wants a pay raise, we might save $1 to $1.5 million at best.

If we cut Haralson ($2.8) and Spillman ($1.55) we create $4.35 million.

Your jump to $23 million is crazy optimistic...I think its more likely we do some cutting, re-signing to create up to $10 million in cap space to re-sign one of our top FAs and again go after the draft to rebuild. We will most likely decide between Goldson/Sopoaga, and then let almost everybody else go.

I doubt Spillman is cut, he is a excellent gunner on STs. Rather he stay over McBath, Brock and Robinson.]

But rest are good. extending Smith, Akers and Whitner can create up to 10M in cap room. Goodwin and Haralson up to 7.37m, plus 3M already gives us $20.37M in room.

Remember you have to calculate bonuses left, so even Manningham, who some think is a cut, which I think is crazy, isn't likely, he has 1.5M guaranteed in 2013 of his base.

I would like to see Delanie, RJF, Goldson or Sopoaga, Grant, Gooden and Brock on minimum deal back. Moss is a wild card, he looked really good last night.
I'm a big fan of Sopoaga ...but he only gets a few snaps when we play elite passing teams, plus he is aging and no longer has an upside, we could find his replacement with one of our first 3 picks ...bringing back RJF should be a priority though, he still has a ceiling and continues to improve

Goodwin and Haralson will also be gone ,,,,Kilgore could slide in at C and take Goodwins spot, and we basically need another OLB for depth, so bringing back Haralson is not a priority.

Manningham also wont be hard to replace, we already have Jenkins waiting to play

but I hope we can work out some deals for Whitner and Goldson , it would be great to bring them back for at least 2 more seasons