LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Official: Marcus Lattimore to enter draft / rehab w/ NFL doctors

Originally posted by sfout:
thats my thinking exactly. if he lasts until our comp pick or maybe even our own 3rd then I say we take him.
your sentence sounds like the comp pick is up before our regular 3rd-rounder...but thats not the case, is it?

lol @all of these guys who want to spend any of our 3rd-rounder. i would even wait til the 6th...5th round or even the 4th should be spent for a kicker.
before i pick an injury-prone RB in the third, i'd rather go for a healthy power-back like stepfan Taylor.
Originally posted by communist:
your sentence sounds like the comp pick is up before our regular 3rd-rounder...but thats not the case, is it?

lol @all of these guys who want to spend any of our 3rd-rounder. i would even wait til the 6th...5th round or even the 4th should be spent for a kicker.
before i pick an injury-prone RB in the third, i'd rather go for a healthy power-back like stepfan Taylor.

Any rb hit like lattimore was wouldnt have walked away. One lb held his legs while the other pushed his body over.You could say kendall hunter is injury prone we drafted him. You could also say Adrian Peterson its injury prone but that's working out for the Viks. Lattimore may be an incredible value pick if he falls to the 4th or 5th but we prolly wont get him cause someone else will see his value and rate him higher. His injury was to bad because he was truly the only first rd back in this class.
his knees have been injured already twice...unless a doc confirms that this history wont influence his future, i would not touch him til the 4th, at least...6th is perhaps really too late for his potential value
his knees have been injured already twice...unless a doc confirms that this history wont influence his future, i would not touch him til the 4th, at least...6th is perhaps really too late for his potential value

I agree. Hes blown up both knees now. I thinl this seaspn weve has lmj and hunter step up and we already have gore. Why do we need another rb? The ones we have now work fine. I lattimore finds a team and makes a full recovery tho.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I wouldn't touch him. He is so beat up from play and injuries at USC that I think he will be out of the league in only a couple years. Too bad, he was a great prospect.

In all fairness, you said the same thing about Ray McDonald when he was drafted. By all accounts, Lattimore rehabbed like a monster after tearing up his left knee in 2011 and was pretty much back to normal before that gruesome injury to his right knee. He'll need to do it again, but he's a hard-working kid with a great work ethic, so his chances of making a solid recovery are pretty good. I personally wouldn't bet against him.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
thats my thinking exactly. if he lasts until our comp pick or maybe even our own 3rd then I say we take him.

I meant to say Colts pick ^_^ stupid c words.
If he were there late I would be all over it. But given how full the house is at RB if I were to use a 3rd for an RB he would have to be a more sure thing. Dudes a stud no doubt, but it's no sure thing he comes back at full speed from that injury.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I wouldn't touch him. He is so beat up from play and injuries at USC that I think he will be out of the league in only a couple years. Too bad, he was a great prospect.

In all fairness, you said the same thing about Ray McDonald when he was drafted. By all accounts, Lattimore rehabbed like a monster after tearing up his left knee in 2011 and was pretty much back to normal before that gruesome injury to his right knee. He'll need to do it again, but he's a hard-working kid with a great work ethic, so his chances of making a solid recovery are pretty good. I personally wouldn't bet against him.

49ers picked Frank Gore in the 3rd out of college and blew out both of his ACL's.
McGahee has had a pretty darn good career as well (over 8,000 career yards in the NFL, two tie pro bowler)

and He tore ACL, PCL, and MCL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_McGahee

There is a precedent for Lattimore coming back strong
Id draft him, let him sit on the bench for a year, heal up. Then we have a stud for 2014.....gore will be done around that time too

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Id draft him, let him sit on the bench for a year, heal up. Then we have a stud for 2014.....gore will be done around that time too

I am not looking forward to the day he retires but I really do hope that he becomes a scout for us on that same day.
Originally posted by NinerFan408:

I am not looking forward to the day he retires but I really do hope that he becomes a scout for us on that same day.

I want him to be a coach. If Rathman ever gets a promotion before then he would be a great RB coach IMO. For all the talk about his learning disability, he has never had a problem in any offense we have run, and i feel he understands defensive schemes extremely well, and how to beat defenses with the run game. Scout would work as well. I think Frank has atleast two good years in the tank.
  • titan
  • Veteran
I don't see a lot of RB like Gore and Mcgahee to come back from sick looking injuries and be as productive. I say we go and look for a healthy productive back in the last couple of rounds. It seems like teams are having pretty good luck with RB in the late Rds anyway.
Same boat as Michael Bush. He goes from hero to liability with one leg injury. He's a steal in the 4th. On our roster, he'd sit as a rookie anyways. Let him rehab and he's a great future investment.
this guy is def worth taking 3rd rd or so....he runs like frank gore and has the injury history to match
Share 49ersWebzone