LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 375 users in the forums

Official: Marcus Lattimore to enter draft / rehab w/ NFL doctors

• sfout
  • Veteran
Marcus Lattimore has reportedly decided to leave college early in favor of the NFL. Despite reports that he could miss the entire 2013 season he has decided that rehabbing with NFL doctors and learning a teams system outweighs the idea of staying in school and rehabbing with South Carolina. It also doesn't hurt that he'll be making about $500K in the NFL while rehabbing instead of having to take classes in college.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/10/marucs-lattimore-enters-nfl-draft-may-miss-rookie-year/

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/10/report-marcus-lattimore-taking-his-talents-to-the-nfl/

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8732298/marcus-lattimore-south-carolina-gamecocks-enter-nfl-draft-source

Official Announcement VIA CFT

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/12/lattimore-makes-early-leap-to-nfl-official/
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
We aren't necessarily in the market for an RB but Marcus Lattimore just broke his leg or dislocated his knee. The replay was way gruesome, this was to the right leg, his knee injury from last year was to his left leg.

Man, that was hard to watch.
Just saw him being carted off. Didn't see injury.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Just saw him being carted off. Didn't see injury.

Think Joe Theisman. Not quite as bad but on that level.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
ESPN just said they're still evaluating him in the locker room but they had to use a air compression cast to get him off the field so you know its serious.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:

mhmm

Not like its surprising but ESPN says he was taken directly to the hospital after an initial evaluation in the locker room after the injury.
Career over for this guy?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Career over for this guy?

Collegiately I'd say so. NFL wise? He'll be in the NFL next season but at what cost? He was the #1 RB in the draft pool so he could opt to stay in school but I think that would be dumbest thing possible.

If you are #1 after a major ACL and MCL tear, even if you get injured again I'd declare even if it meant getting picked in the 4th round instead of the first. Dont waste anymore wear and tear on your body for a collegiate team.

Based on the severity of the movement by his leg I'd say he broke his leg, which is a ton better then any kind of ligament or muscle tear.
[ Edited by sfout on Oct 27, 2012 at 12:49 PM ]
I think of Michael Bush and when he broke his leg, and he did just fine in the NFL. If Gore can come back from two knee surgeries and two shoulder surgeries, i believe Lattimore can come back as well. Best of luck to him.

I do wonder how much this impacts his draft stock. I'm sure he comes back, but how far does he fall now.
I heard on cbs (could have heard wrong) that it was possibly career ending.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by refused2change:
I heard on cbs (could have heard wrong) that it was possibly career ending.

during the game the were speaking of it being a college career ending injury because he'll likely declare. Is that what you heard?
My guess is he's a 3rd round draft pick considering his injuries and probably not being able to play year 1 .. I'd love to draft him without his injuries , he's a fun Rb to watch.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
My guess is he's a 3rd round draft pick considering his injuries and probably not being able to play year 1 .. I'd love to draft him without his injuries , he's a fun Rb to watch.

Say he really can't play at all in 2013, wouldn't you take him? Even WITH his injuries I'd think he'd be a great pick in that aspect. If he couldn't play at all in his rookie season and we were able to snag him with the Colts 3rd rounder we have (projected to be in the top 70 IIRC). He'd be one hell of a replacement for Gore, if Gore retired after this season that is.
Share 49ersWebzone