LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 334 users in the forums

Week 8 prospect watch!

http://www.draftwatchers.com/articles/9-Week-8-Watch-List.html

^^^^^

Note I listed players numbers which I will do now on, makes it easier to spot players on plays (espicially for teams with no last names on the jerseys).

Couple of great match ups this week. What to watch for:

Oregon at ASU: Can ASU's prospects on D display the speed and football IQ to handle Oregon's speedy spread attack? Espicially S Keelan Johnson will be a key guy to watch with how he does.

Uconn at Syracuse: UConn's Trebardo Williams has been an absolute terror. He is undersized D-Lineman like Dumervil but speed kills. He should be matched up agaisnt Tackle Justin Pugh

LSU at A&M: Luke Joeckel takes on the vaunted LSU pass rush. This game could make or break Joeckel going as the #1 pick.

Texas Tech at TCU: I listed Seth Doege as a prospect but at this point he would be a very late rounder. WIll be an interesting guy to keep an eye on as he tears it up against weak D's and gets eaten by the better teams.

Kansas State at West Virginia: Corner Nigel Malone should be covering Tavon Austin

Utah at Oregon State: Is there ever a reason not to watch Lotulelei?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

^^^^^

Note I listed players numbers which I will do now on, makes it easier to spot players on plays (espicially for teams with no last names on the jerseys).

Oregon at ASU: Can ASU's prospects on D display the speed and football IQ to handle Oregon's speedy spread attack? Espicially S Keelan Johnson will be a key guy to watch with how he does.

Uconn at Syracuse: UConn's Trebardo Williams has been an absolute terror. He is undersized D-Lineman like Dumervil but speed kills. He should be matched up agaisnt Tackle Justin Pugh

LSU at A&M: Luke Joeckel takes on the vaunted LSU pass rush. This game could make or break Joeckel going as the #1 pick.

Texas Tech at TCU: I listed Seth Doege as a prospect but at this point he would be a very late rounder. WIll be an interesting guy to keep an eye on as he tears it up against weak D's and gets eaten by the better teams.

Kansas State at West Virginia: Corner Nigel Malone should be covering Tavon Austin

Good highlight synopsis -- Oregon state will actually be a somewhat difficult task for the Ute's DL. I'm very interested to see how the OSU WRs handle the game too, even though Cooks still a sophomore.

Markus Wheaton should be matched up against Ryan Lacy.

OSU CB Jordan Poyer will be one to watch, it'll be the 3rd straight week that the favorite targets of the QBs are big bodied WRS. Poyer is getting a lot of film against bigger, faster receivers.
[ Edited by sfout on Oct 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM ]

^^^^^

are you saying Joekel as THE #1 pick, or as a 1st round pick?
Originally posted by hofer36:
are you saying Joekel as THE #1 pick, or as a 1st round pick?

Joekel could be THE #1 pick.

I don't think there is much doubt he is a 1st rounder unless he really tanks it the 2nd half of the season. Right now I'd say he is one of the top contending tackles for All-American honors. I haven't seen a better pass protecting Tackle this year.

He is a junior that needs to fill out a bit more and definately add some strength, but everything else about the kid is extremely high marks

Originally posted by sfout:
Good highlight synopsis -- Oregon state will actually be a somewhat difficult task for the Ute's DL. I'm very interested to see how the OSU WRs handle the game too, even though Cooks still a sophomore.

Markus Wheaton should be matched up against Ryan Lacy.

OSU CB Jordan Poyer will be one to watch, it'll be the 3rd straight week that the favorite targets of the QBs are big bodied WRS. Poyer is getting a lot of film against bigger, faster receivers.

Yeah I'm going to try to keep the synopsis as short as possible just to prime people for the games!

Edit: Also I just realized I didn't list Texas A&M's other tackle as a prospect. Forget his name, but he looks like a late rounder to me now and should keep an eye on as well. LSU pass rush vs. A&M tackles is going to be excellent material for scouts.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Oct 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
SDN - Did Kelly get benched tonight? Or injured I'm watching the replay right now to scope out the prospects but I was just curious, even though I'll find out in a bit on my own.
SDN - Did Kelly get benched tonight? Or injured I'm watching the replay right now to scope out the prospects but I was just curious, even though I'll find out in a bit on my own.

We use a 2 QB system
  • sfout
  • Veteran

We use a 2 QB system

hmmm I never noticed before o:
So the re-hash on the game that ASU got destroyed on, Will Sutton was a beast.....for the first possession until he got injured

Safety Keelan Johnson actually had a great game. Magee and Chris Young not so much. Really our D had zero chance at stopping Oregon once Sutton was out. I was dissapointed with Magee, he had some great plays but also he screwed up his gap assignments several times (which is typical against Oregon, they are so good at confusing LBs and tricking them into mistakes on gap assignment).

I didn't get to do too much scouting of Oregon's D, I was too busy crying about the non-stop TD's the Ducks were scoring.

But after watching the game I am convinced Keelan Johnson is a legitimate draft prospect, probably a mid rounder.

Edit: Man I was so pissed when I saw Sutton got hurt. Just completely demoralizing. He is such an MVP for a team. Our D is just so incomplete without him, he is so critical to the team because he penetrates gaps so exceptionally well and Oregon is actually very vulnerable to quick DTs since they purposely set up to expose gaps pre-snap.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Oct 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM ]
Joeckel and Matthews look great
Joeckel and Matthews look great

So far so good. A&M has only given up 2 sacks, one from ILB Kevin Minter and another from DT Bennie Logan

Anyone want to disagree with my hyping up Joeckel?

Eifert having a nice game so far for the Irish. Had the only TD so far. Like 4 catches when I first turned on the game. I really like him a lot. Seems like a mismatch for defenders, and looks like he is following in foot steps of Kyle Rudolph.
Cody Hoffman wide open in back of end zone for TD, blown coverage by ND Defense.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Cody Hoffman wide open in back of end zone for TD, blown coverage by ND Defense.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hoffman as a 9er or Apo in a couple of years.
Klein vs Geno Smith is what I'm looking forward to. Klein should get some recognition after this one. He's another guy in the mold of Locker and Kaepernick.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strickac:
Klein vs Geno Smith is what I'm looking forward to. Klein should get some recognition after this one. He's another guy in the mold of Locker and Kaepernick.

Klein's arm is better then Tebow but nowhere near Locker or Kaepernick......

Disappointed in our scouting department this weekend, must have been their "bye week" lol. Only Fresno State v Wyoming on the docket today.
[ Edited by sfout on Oct 20, 2012 at 4:44 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone