LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 200 users in the forums

JReff22 Mock v.1 (The its too early for this but I dont care edition)

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout NFL Draft Comparison: Kenny Vaccaro - Charles Woodson. Can play slot CB or either safety spot. Big hitter. VG angles, range. Total package.

Soo let's assume Eric Reid is the first safety off the board landing in STL possibly. What are the chances of Vaccaro making it past secondary needy teams like Detroit, GB or Oak? Bigger needs?
TJ is next off the board and Elam might be 3rd...have a weird feeling about him.

Oakland would've already passed on him. GB goes after a RB and Detroit might also.

I dont think Elam is third off the board, not before Rambo if only referring to FS, but if we factor in SS as well, then I dont see Rambo being the 3rd either, but he goes before Elam. But that's if the draft was tomorrow. Long season so you could be 100% right on that.
I started to say that Oakland has alot of needs so they'll probably just go BPA, they need seconardy help so bad. Oakland and Detroit are the only two teams in the league that dont have any INTs. smh.
GB and Detroit could both find a RB in the 2nd or trade up for the fact that not too many teams need a RB in the first. PItt, GB, and DET are the only teams that really "need" one bad enough to consider spending a 1st rd pick .
Depends on the interview process with Rambo. Some teams with the gold star system may drop Rambo or take him off all together.

Georgia All-American safety Bacarri Rambo has been suspended for four games for failing a drug test, his high school coach said Thursday.

A source close to the situation also confirmed to ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach that Rambo's suspension was drug-related.

Alan Ingram, Rambo's coach at Seminole County High School in Donalsonville, Ga., said he believes Rambo was a victim of circumstance.

"Bacarri went down to Panama City Beach with some friends," Ingram said. "One of the nights he went to bed before they did. He got up the next morning, was hungry and found some brownies on the table. He had some with some milk and told me, 'I got high.' The other guys got up and told him that the brownies were not for him. Apparently they were laced with marijuana.

"I think that is the story. I think that is exactly what happened. Not many times would I say that, but he has never lied to me before."

Rambo was suspended for the Bulldogs' opener against Boise State last season for an unnamed rules violation but still earned All-America honors while leading the SEC with eight interceptions.

Do you want to draft a kid who has been suspended multiple times in 2 years worth of play?

Chances are we see 2 RB's go in the first and because none are top 10 talent GB could sit and wait for that guy to fall right to them.

2 RBs is exactly what I think too. No team in the top 10(assuming Detroit doesnt just completely blow the season) needs a RB. Lattimore is most likely going first and a mock that I saw has him going to PIttsburg but so I think it really comes down Detroit figuring out whats more important to their success, a RB keep their offense from being so one demensional or a Safety to help keep teams from scoring on them so much.

And to answer the suspension question, it really depends on who's drafting him. A character issue could be minor for a Jim Harbaugh 49ers team. He brings out the best in people, there's something about JH, alot of people respect him, and know how he operates. Fixing character issues would be simple. Now if we're talking about Rambo going to a team like Oakland or Detroit or NY, it might be a little different. Thats why having a good coaching staff is so important, not that im knocking those coaching staffs, but those teams have a players that get in trouble pretty often.
Long as Rambo shows that he is dedicated to the game, a hard worker, keeps making plays and stays outta trouble, im sure he'll be fine come draft time. Id take him the 2nd.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
We can easily make 10M in cap space by extending Justin Smith, Donte Whtiner and David Akers, plus another 7M by cutting Goodwin and Haralson. So It is possible for Goldson to be kept, if they both agree on a cap friendly deal, plus Bowman is under our control for 2013, 2014 and 2015, since he can be tagged twice. So in 2014 and 2015 we would need to make decision I guess.

For Smith, I would do a 3yr extension through 2015(Would be new 3yr deal basically, as we rip up his previous deal.), probably 8M a yr average, with higher salaries in 2014 and 2015, possibly add in a 2016 season so we can prorate a signing bonus longer and save more money right away.

Whitner, a 3 or 4 yr deal, 3.25M a yr.

For Goldson, if he would do a 5yr deal through 2017, worth 6.5M a yr, so 32.5M, give him some incentives(500K a yr) to bring it up to 35m with incentives.
J.Smith is 33 now so a 3yr deal sounds about right. Drafting his back-up now might bode well for us in the future.
Goldson's deal sounds right, assuming he has another pro bowl calibur season.
I think Bowman gets his contract after the Goldson Situation is figured out. Meaning does he get his contract or find another home. I think this because, like you said, we still have 3yrs for Bowman. So i guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
One of these days, you're gonna have to explain to me why you're not the GM lol.

Good question, Detroit only has Delmas, Oakland could dump Huff, and GB needs DB, as Woodson can't play forever.
We can easily make 10M in cap space by extending Justin Smith, Donte Whtiner and David Akers, plus another 7M by cutting Goodwin and Haralson. So It is possible for Goldson to be kept, if they both agree on a cap friendly deal, plus Bowman is under our control for 2013, 2014 and 2015, since he can be tagged twice. So in 2014 and 2015 we would need to make decision I guess.

For Smith, I would do a 3yr extension through 2015(Would be new 3yr deal basically, as we rip up his previous deal.), probably 8M a yr average, with higher salaries in 2014 and 2015, possibly add in a 2016 season so we can prorate a signing bonus longer and save more money right away.

For Goldson, if he would do a 5yr deal through 2017, worth 6.5M a yr, so 32.5M, give him some incentives(500K a yr) to bring it up to 35m with incentives.
J.Smith is 33 now so a 3yr deal sounds about right. Drafting his back-up now might bode well for us in the future.
I think Bowman gets his contract after the Goldson Situation is figured out. Meaning does he get his contract or find another home. I think this because, like you said, we still have 3yrs for Bowman. So i guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
One of these days, you're gonna have to explain to me why you're not the GM lol.

Good question, Detroit only has Delmas, Oakland could dump Huff, and GB needs DB, as Woodson can't play forever.

The problem I see is nobody looks like a viable future alternative for Justin. Short out of Purdue maybe but he is rising on the boards and will be out of reach. Might as well wait again for the right guy.
[ Edited by jreff22 on Oct 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM ]
Need to find a way to pin/copy this draft and hold it to next year. GOOD DRAFT !!.,
Originally posted by ads_2006:
eric berry?

who?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13252/eric-berry
The problem I see is nobody looks like a viable future alternative for Justin. Short out of Purdue maybe but he is rising on the boards and will be out of reach. Might as well wait again for the right guy.

Thats what happens when youre the "Last American Badass" lol. But yeah, ive noticed that too. We would have to get a DE in the early first to get somebody close to that of J.Smith. Maybe we make trades next year and move up in the first somehow or maybe we draft a guy and just groom him. There are plenty of guys with potential and high ceilings, its just gonna take some time to get them to the level of play that we would wanna see after the departure of SMith. We may go FS, DE/OLB, the Marcus Davis(lol, im not gonna say WR, im saying Davis).The recovery of Fleming could alter alot of things though and so does the signing of Goldson. Kwaan Short is a DT, but I guess we have Smith as hybrid DE/DT cause he moves to the middle when we're Nickel I think.

1st Martysofresh, If I could be a GM I would be honored, I'd rather be a cap guy though, maybe work for the NFLPA, or something, who knows, but I enjoy doing this for fun. Some might think I or others would charge for this info, which I think is a wrong thing to do. I enjoy giving out info to every message board I am on. The salary cap is so tricky, now with the new spending limit starting in 2013, needs to be 89.5% I believe, so anything over that can be carried over into the next season, which is nice. Reason how we were able to afford keeping Rogers, Brooks, Goldson, add Manningham, Jacobs, keep Ginn, Grant, Alex, etc...

2nd, this goes to both you and Justin, I think Justin Smith's replacement will be a tough one to find, if we keep drafting later, than it will tougher to find that next 3-4 end. I guess there is free agency, but I always say to keep your own guys first then outside FAs can become a possibility.

Thats what happens when youre the "Last American Badass" lol. But yeah, ive noticed that too. We would have to get a DE in the early first to get somebody close to that of J.Smith. Maybe we make trades next year and move up in the first somehow or maybe we draft a guy and just groom him. There are plenty of guys with potential and high ceilings, its just gonna take some time to get them to the level of play that we would wanna see after the departure of SMith. We may go FS, DE/OLB, the Marcus Davis(lol, im not gonna say WR, im saying Davis).The recovery of Fleming could alter alot of things though and so does the signing of Goldson. Kwaan Short is a DT, but I guess we have Smith as hybrid DE/DT cause he moves to the middle when we're Nickel I think.
Short is a DT in Purdue's 4-3 packages, but moves outside to DE when they go 3-4. Just like Justin. I don't see Short being a 3-4 NT.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Short is a DT in Purdue's 4-3 packages, but moves outside to DE when they go 3-4. Just like Justin. I don't see Short being a 3-4 NT.

That doesn't mean much. Short playing DE in a 3-4 front on Purdue is as much about Purdue's depth then anything. Who else on their team can play as a truly effective 3-4 DE?

In college you put your best players out there, and moving them around is by no means a demonstration of lack of ability. Meaning lets say out of the 4 lineman, your 2 best ones are both DT's. Why would it make any sense to not use both in a 3-4 front? And if one DT can only by the NT, obviosuly the other DT (who can play the 3-4 DE) would switch outside.

Short can play the 3-4 end or nose, it just depends on the surrounding personel and getting your best players out there.

Edit: And of all NFL teams, 49ers are the most likely in the NFL to take a guy and teach him new techniques to morph into the type of player that fits our system. When looking at players, its just not about what they do in college. Its what they could be taught to do in the NFL. IMO theres no reason to think Short can't play NT in a 3-4. I've seen him many times take on double teams and direct the flow of traffic, and if there was a talented pass rusher he could feed off Short's ability to direct the O-lineman and create gaps.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Oct 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM ]
1st Martysofresh, If I could be a GM I would be honored, I'd rather be a cap guy though, maybe work for the NFLPA, or something, who knows, but I enjoy doing this for fun. Some might think I or others would charge for this info, which I think is a wrong thing to do. I enjoy giving out info to every message board I am on. The salary cap is so tricky, now with the new spending limit starting in 2013, needs to be 89.5% I believe, so anything over that can be carried over into the next season, which is nice. Reason how we were able to afford keeping Rogers, Brooks, Goldson, add Manningham, Jacobs, keep Ginn, Grant, Alex, etc...

2nd, this goes to both you and Justin, I think Justin Smith's replacement will be a tough one to find, if we keep drafting later, than it will tougher to find that next 3-4 end. I guess there is free agency, but I always say to keep your own guys first then outside FAs can become a possibility.
we need to find JJ Watt 2.0

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by Travisty13:

That doesn't mean much. Short playing DE in a 3-4 front on Purdue is as much about Purdue's depth then anything. Who else on their team can play as a truly effective 3-4 DE?

In college you put your best players out there, and moving them around is by no means a demonstration of lack of ability. Meaning lets say out of the 4 lineman, your 2 best ones are both DT's. Why would it make any sense to not use both in a 3-4 front? And if one DT can only by the NT, obviosuly the other DT (who can play the 3-4 DE) would switch outside.

Short can play the 3-4 end or nose, it just depends on the surrounding personel and getting your best players out there.

Edit: And of all NFL teams, 49ers are the most likely in the NFL to take a guy and teach him new techniques to morph into the type of player that fits our system. When looking at players, its just not about what they do in college. Its what they could be taught to do in the NFL. IMO theres no reason to think Short can't play NT in a 3-4. I've seen him many times take on double teams and direct the flow of traffic, and if there was a talented pass rusher he could feed off Short's ability to direct the O-lineman and create gaps.

I agree on the 49ers taken a player to morph into a new position, look at Bruce Miller, college DE/OLB to FB, and worked out perfectly.

I like Short a lot, hope he can last till end of rd 1 if we go that direction. If we can somehow get Goldson and Sopoaga back, even if it means Jean Francois leaves, then we can focus on depth on the DL.

we need to find JJ Watt 2.0

Agreed. Out of the 2011 draft if it wasn't Aldon, it would of been Watt as best choice. I think Aldon made more sense. Now we need a 3-4 DE to replace Justin eventually, hopefully Justin will mentor him, along with McDonald mentoring him too.

This goes on both, if we get our defense locked up, say Goldson for 5yr deal, Sopoaga for 3 yr, then we have extended Rogers and Brooks this past offseason. Plus we can extend Whitner and Justin. Willis is signed till 2016. Brown is up soon after 2013. If we can keep Goldson and either Sopoaga or RJF, then somehow keep Bowman long term, we would be sitting nicely.

Agreed. Out of the 2011 draft if it wasn't Aldon, it would of been Watt as best choice. I think Aldon made more sense. Now we need a 3-4 DE to replace Justin eventually, hopefully Justin will mentor him, along with McDonald mentoring him too.

This goes on both, if we get our defense locked up, say Goldson for 5yr deal, Sopoaga for 3 yr, then we have extended Rogers and Brooks this past offseason. Plus we can extend Whitner and Justin. Willis is signed till 2016. Brown is up soon after 2013. If we can keep Goldson and either Sopoaga or RJF, then somehow keep Bowman long term, we would be sitting nicely.

Don't think we get Goldson signed, if we get to the Superbowl and he continues to play well he will want serious money.

Don't think we get Goldson signed, if we get to the Superbowl and he continues to play well he will want serious money.

I agree with that, I hope we dont pay out of our ass for him. I saw SteveYoung's mock, I think it would work cap wise. I like the idea of bringing back big Leonard Davis on a 1yr deal again. I hope Grant and Gooden get 2 or 3 yr deals, both are superb on special teams, and can play some ILB if needed.
Elam just cracked Scouts Inc top 32
Elam just cracked Scouts Inc top 32

After todays game, how would you feel about drafting a corner in the 2nd? I might seem a little bias for the fact that Ive felt that Rogers is overrated, even after he made the pro bowl. and Ive felt that Brown is overrated as well. So im looking for another opinion.
Share 49ersWebzone