LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

MD was right

This is not worth a thread. He was right Watt is a good player, I don't think that was a big secret. He was dead wrong about what counted which was Aldon Smith and the 2011 49ers
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Still don't get it. I had Cam Newton projected to go number one, but he was not a top ten BPA pick in my opinion. My projection of him drafted at one did not match my personal belief that he was the best player in the draft. I believed Watt would be drafted in the 18th slot due to team needs. 3-4 DE's have a tendency to slide on draft day. However, to me, as seen in the numerous posted bumps, he graded much higher and was a top 5 best player available on my board.

See my post on "Your 49ers Top 7" thread, which has Watt in early March 2011 as my 6th best overall.
You didn't think Cam Newton had, at a minimum, top ten talent and ability?
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

He isn't IMO
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

He isn't IMO

Cam is getting exposed this year
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

He isn't IMO

It also might be that his coaching staff is getting exposed.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Okay there's a reason why you're bringing this up now and not after they're first year. That's because arguably Aldon Smith had the better rookie year. I agree Watt has had a better first 5 games this year but it's a little early to be calling that we shoulda took 1 over the other. you Also have to look at our needs at the time. How Screwed would we be at OLB if we actually took Watt. and then what? Have McDonald riding the bench half the time?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Oh, I remember you posting this AFTER the draft. And its correct that after the draft you were higher on Watt than many others.

But BEFORE the draft you had Watt "ranked" #18.

Now, without the lecture about how a big board is just a ranking of where players might be picked, not a listing according to their respective abilities, please explain how you would project Watt to be taken at #18 overall when he was actually, in your opinion, at least the 5th best player available.

Because even though big boards are not listings of players according to talent, a player's talent and ability is unquestionably a big part, a major consideration, in determining where that player should be "ranked" according to potential selection.

In other words, if someone really knew that Watt was gonna be as good as he's shown to date, he would have been "ranked" a top 5 player, if not #1 overall--the talent and ability he's shown since the draft makes him that good. There's got to be a number of other teams that picked before #11 in that draft that would love to have him now.

Sorry, but but your "ranking" of Watt as #18 on your big board BEFORE the draft is much more convincing and telling evidence of how you actually ranked Watt's talent and ability at that time than some POST DRAFT hypothetical, make believe "redo" or "re-draft."

Still don't get it. I had Cam Newton projected to go number one, but he was not a top ten BPA pick in my opinion. My projection of him drafted at one did not match my personal belief that he was the best player in the draft. I believed Watt would be drafted in the 18th slot due to team needs. 3-4 DE's have a tendency to slide on draft day. However, to me, as seen in the numerous posted bumps, he graded much higher and was a top 5 best player available on my board.

See my post on "Your 49ers Top 7" thread, which has Watt in early March 2011 as my 6th best overall.

Most people in the thread did not include Aldon Smith,

Chief and Genus49 were among the few that included Aldon on their lists.

Sobering to see how far off we were on some of our picks.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

He isn't IMO

Yes. Other teams are exposing the fact that you can't have a dipstick defensive minded head coach and expect to win by expecting your QB to create magic. Cam is a great player that is being asked to do too much because he's so gifted. Its the same thing that happened to Vick. Just like an athletic QB relys on his escapablilty and play making skills, so too does a HC become dependent on "ad lib" plays. IMHO, of course.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Yes. Other teams are exposing the fact that you can't have a dipstick defensive minded head coach and expect to win by expecting your QB to create magic. Cam is a great player that is being asked to do too much because he's so gifted. Its the same thing that happened to Vick. Just like an athletic QB relys on his escapablilty and play making skills, so too does a HC become dependent on "ad lib" plays. IMHO, of course.

Carolina needs to start using the running backs they gave so much money to and stop having Cam play QB & RB.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Maddog is one of my least liked posters, and I disagree with him often, but when it comes to Watt and Smith he is 100% correct. Our team would be better with JJ Watt than we are with Aldon Smith.

JJ Watt is going to be a HoF type player, while Aldon is going to be real good, but not the level of Watt. Barring injury of course.

Gotta give credit where it's due.

So you're saying the difference between Watt and Ray McDonald is bigger than the difference between Aldon Smith and Clark Haggans/Eric Bakhtiati?

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Who cares? When it comes to draft - he has been right about few things and wrong about many things...just like everybody else.
I still like the Aldon pick. He served more of a need and is a pass rushing 3-4 OLB which is a must for our D. We have 2 very good DEs.
For the record, I wouldn't swap the picks if I could at this point. I think Watt is far more likely to ware down over time than Aldon.
Aldon is a Pro Bowl talent. Hard to be disappointed there.

Watt is an all time player. Once in a lifetime talent..... I have a lot of relatives in Wisconsin. And I went to many of his games. Home and Rose Bowl. I always knew he was a beast. But this is just rediculous. He exceeded my expectations times 10. He's a instant first ballot hall of famer. He's the best defensive player in all of fooball right now. I think you could make that argument easily.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
MD is technically wrong and much like some other posters have indirectly pointed out. It cant and shouldnt be said Watt >>> Smith.

It should be Watt >>> Ray Mac because we chose between our 2 most pressing defensive needs and went after Ray Mac and drafting Aldon versus drafting Watt and keeping Lawson or dipping into a very anemic field of FA OLBs.

At least from our perspective Harbaugh was more confident in his film study of Ray Mac and drafting an OLB then going for an unknown on the DL in draft pick and putting our eggs in one basket and pushing hard for Johnson. In the event that Johnson picked a different team we would've been left with picking between retaining Manny Lawson or signing Rocky McIntosh, Matt Roth, or Aaron Maybin.

So because hindsight is 20/20 would you rather have Ray Mac and Aldon or JJ Watt and any one of those 3: Lawson, McIntosh, Maybin)
[ Edited by sfout on Oct 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone