LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

MD was right

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Like to bring this thread back up because Aldon is starting to pick up steam. 6.5 sacks on the year now.

Watts is a fantastic player and might have been a better selection than Aldon, but there's really only rare situations when you can fault a team when they drafted a stud.

To say Maddog was right is just insane. He's right JJ Watts was a stud. He's wrong that we made a bad choice though.

Originally posted by jreff22:
after seeing the guys get gassed again last night I think its clear we need a serious backup...question is can we find one in this class or do we wait another year?

I wish he wasn't gaining so much on the boards, or I would say Kawann Short of Purdue. I do like mid rounder from Notre Dame Kapron Lewis-Moore. Maybe with our late 3rd or trade back in early rd 4 for him.

The way it seems I wouldn't mind bringing back Moss, if he shows that Moss from Monday Night, sign him up, because he is back.

But draft wise, NT, FS, OLB, OT, CB, DE are all needs. NT and FS as starters if Goldson and/or Sopoaga leave. The rest are depth. Add in ILB if Grant leaves. Gooden is the easiest sign, give him a 3yr deal, he has earned his stay, he has had 2 1yr deals with no guaranteed money.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
after seeing the guys get gassed again last night I think its clear we need a serious backup...question is can we find one in this class or do we wait another year?

I wish he wasn't gaining so much on the boards, or I would say Kawann Short of Purdue. I do like mid rounder from Notre Dame Kapron Lewis-Moore. Maybe with our late 3rd or trade back in early rd 4 for him.

The way it seems I wouldn't mind bringing back Moss, if he shows that Moss from Monday Night, sign him up, because he is back.

But draft wise, NT, FS, OLB, OT, CB, DE are all needs. NT and FS as starters if Goldson and/or Sopoaga leave. The rest are depth. Add in ILB if Grant leaves. Gooden is the easiest sign, give him a 3yr deal, he has earned his stay, he has had 2 1yr deals with no guaranteed money.

if we can lock in a great draft this year and plug the holes we may be able to move up in 2014 for a viable DE.....question is where is the next Smith/Watt clone?
if we can lock in a great draft this year and plug the holes we may be able to move up in 2014 for a viable DE.....question is where is the next Smith/Watt clone?

I really think Aldon could eventually shift down to DE and still dominate..if there is a lights out OLB available that is too good to pass up.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

I really think Aldon could eventually shift down to DE and still dominate..if there is a lights out OLB available that is too good to pass up.

Please. We aren't shifting him anywhere. He's staying where he is.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

San Diego is right on this.

Aldon Smith is a 3-4 outside linebacker, punto y final.
Originally posted by buck:

Oh i agree, was just thinking outside of the box. With his size, strength, wingspan and a frame that could easily add on more weight, he could shift down. I wouldnt be an advocate of this however
Originally posted by buck:

Oh i agree, was just thinking outside of the box. With his size, strength, wingspan and a frame that could easily add on more weight, he could shift down. I wouldnt be an advocate of this however
Watt is unbelievable. I have a lot of relatives in Wisconsin. And I've personally gone to many Wisconsin games. Both regular season and Rose Bowl. And I can tell you Watt was always a beast for the Badgers. Just unblockable and batting down passes like he does now. But I have to tell you I didn't expect him to be this good in the pros. He's unreal. Just unreal. He looks like the next Reggie White. He's going to be an all time player. Just insane how good he is.

Now I think Aldon Smith is really, really good and maybe even a perenial Pro Bowl level guy. And I love Aldon other than all his PAC MAN JONES off field episodes. But I'd have to say I think JJ Watt is probably going to be better overall. Probably an all time great vs. a Pro Bowl player is what we are looking at. Watt is like Justin Smith but younger, bigger, stronger and more athletic, with just as much motor....
Can't argue against Watt, however, Smith isn't a slouch either. Right now, it would be like someone arguing that the Steelers should've moved up for Eli instead of grabbing Big Ben. It's 1A vs 1B right now, and Smith is putting up some GREAT numbers. When he truly learns this position, he's going to be even better. Right now, we probably have the best defensive line in football. With JJ Watt, we'd probably have the best defensive line in football- with no real pass rush threat coming from the OLB position. Brooks is a good rusher, but not great. Aldon Smith right now has 21.5 sacks in his first 24 games. By comparison, Reggie White had 21 in his first 24. Our guy isn't doing too bad. Lets also not forget that the report was that had we not taken Aldon Smith, the Texans would have and were prepared to pass on JJ Watt.

All in all, this is a fun comparison and I think time will show, that both players are going to be great, perhaps all time greats.
Are we seriously debating an 'A' pick vs an A+ prospect?

Just be glad that we didn't draft Nick Fairly and end this thread...

That's exactly what they are doing. We have some really good "problems" compared to where we were 2-3 seasons ago.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Hmmm I think ill take Aldon Smith EVERY TIME over JJ Watt
Originally posted by Jcool:
Hmmm I think ill take Aldon Smith EVERY TIME over JJ Watt

It's like asking would you rather have Demarcus Ware or Hali Ngata. There's no wrong answer.
Lock this. LOL beast game, we took the best pass rusher because we needed a pass rusher.

ALDON SMITH SACKS LIKE A BOSS
Share 49ersWebzone