LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 375 users in the forums

Is this a 'deep' Safety Class?

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We don't need a Safety. We need to sign Goldson long term. Dude is a monster. He flys up from 15 yards back to make tackes around the line of scrimmage. And he's a major ball hawk with interceptions. Plus he hits hard. As much as Delanie Walker is overrated on the WZ Goldson is way underrated. Our secondary is NOT THE SAME without him. People need to remember back to the past when we had bad safetys. We were awful. Now we have 2 good ones. And one great one. Keep him. Pay the man.

Even if we get Goldson back with the way this class is looking I would still go FS/SS early....the talent i too good to pass up...think BPA. McBath will be let go so that leaves Spillman and Robinson.....I would rather have a top tier talent being the 3rd guy up.

Given the deep safety class, it's a safer option to let Goldson walk and sign Bowman long term.

Oh I agree, but if we can find the room for both I would still grab one of the kids this year. Goldson and Whitner wont be young pups when thier contracts run out and both could be gone at the some time.
Originally posted by stefano89:
hahaha i think its hillarious that its week 3 and the very first thing you said in this thread is "with the probable departure of goldson this year" lol are you serious? we just went to the nfc title game an are 15-3 in the regular season with goldson at FS. we are a good team right now, a super bowl team, we are winning and having success why would goldson leave? no one is going to offer him the 7 or 8 million a year he wants, an even if they do like i said we are 15-3 with him, the FO is going to work with him to keep him. ya theres safetys out there who are better in coverage but will they help us get to the nfc title game? idk. if we have a bad year thats one thing, especially int he secondary, but we wont an i see no reason why the FO wouldnt get a deal done with him. unless your one of those people who just follow whatever espn says or believe the "every player that gets franchise tagged leaves the next year" theory. aka BS.

Um, have you seen our future salary obligations?
We don't need a Safety. We need to sign Goldson long term. Dude is a monster. He flys up from 15 yards back to make tackes around the line of scrimmage. And he's a major ball hawk with interceptions. Plus he hits hard. As much as Delanie Walker is overrated on the WZ Goldson is way underrated. Our secondary is NOT THE SAME without him. People need to remember back to the past when we had bad safetys. We were awful. Now we have 2 good ones. And one great one. Keep him. Pay the man.

too bad we have this thing called a cap and Bowman is way more important long term
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by stefano89:
hahaha i think its hillarious that its week 3 and the very first thing you said in this thread is "with the probable departure of goldson this year" lol are you serious? we just went to the nfc title game an are 15-3 in the regular season with goldson at FS. we are a good team right now, a super bowl team, we are winning and having success why would goldson leave? no one is going to offer him the 7 or 8 million a year he wants, an even if they do like i said we are 15-3 with him, the FO is going to work with him to keep him. ya theres safetys out there who are better in coverage but will they help us get to the nfc title game? idk. if we have a bad year thats one thing, especially int he secondary, but we wont an i see no reason why the FO wouldnt get a deal done with him. unless your one of those people who just follow whatever espn says or believe the "every player that gets franchise tagged leaves the next year" theory. aka BS.

Um, have you seen our future salary obligations?

I know we have a good FO and i'm just hoping we can keep all our our core guys locked up.............................. I would hate to lose bowman or goldson
Looks like some great options at FS to choose from come draft time.
For those who want to sign Goldston you need to wake up.

We are loaded with talent and can't keep everyone. Need to balance the salary cap going forward.

That being said, Bowman is worth more to our defense than Goldston.

Welcome to the team cost controlled future safety draft pick.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

too bad we have this thing called a cap and Bowman is way more important long term

We have enough room to do both. And our need for Bowman is negated by already having Willis. We don't need 2 star ILB's. Bowman looks good because he has great players around him. He's also good in his own right but probably not as good as he seems. They aren't going to pay 2 ILB's the kind of money Willis is making. Just 1. Bowman is gone in FA. But we can and will keep Goldson. We may keep Bowman too if we can fit him.
I would draft a good safety but I would also franchise tag Goldson again for next season. It would give the drafted safety a year to learn the system and be evaluated.
Have you missed all the NFL analysis on our defense after shutting down the packers and lions?

Our amazing ILB (maybe best ever) never come off the field. You can't gimmick us into a mismatch with personnel

It makes our run and pass defense difficult to attack.

Bowman is a rare quantity at ILB.

Goldston is productive but can be replaced.
Some PAC-12 sleepers:
Deone Bucannon*, Washington State
Keelan Johnson, Arizona State

Even if we get Goldson back with the way this class is looking I would still go FS/SS early....the talent i too good to pass up...think BPA. McBath will be let go so that leaves Spillman and Robinson.....I would rather have a top tier talent being the 3rd guy up.

This. I say we resign Goldson and draft a safety. Quality depth in the secondary would be amazing especially because there's so much talent this year. Goldson is the most hated on and underrated Niner if you ask me. He works hard and makes plays yet barely gets any love. Go back to that game against Dallas last year if people need to remember what a secondary w/o the Hawk looks like.
Ray Ray was suspended....no longer in Miami

and yes its deep

you also forgot Shawn Williams GA

hope that lets him fall pretty far, ray ray looks good and has awesome size
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
Ray Ray was suspended....no longer in Miami

and yes its deep

you also forgot Shawn Williams GA

hope that lets him fall pretty far, ray ray looks good and has awesome size

He isn't even playing football this year....chances of getting into the Senior Bowl are slim...might get a nod in the East West shrine He may not even get an invite to the combine and doubtful Miami lets him participate in their pro day.

Not sure where he goes...might be worth a late round flier but his interviews will really be key.
DJ Swearinger South Carolina and Matt Elam from Florida are both pretty good also.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Even if we sign Goldson long term we still need one, we don't have anyone in back of them if Whitner or Goldson go down. And don't say Spillman.

With the 32nd pick in the 2013 NFL Draft the San Francisco 49ers select Safety TJ McDonald!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone