LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

Marqise Lee

USC wide receiver. 6'0 195 lbs.

This guy looked really good in the game against Stanford. Really quick, was able to make some great moves and get some YAC, and had a great catch at the end of the game and got his feet down in bounds to keep USC's hopes alive. Really impressed.
i see youre back from your suspension

agreed both robert woods and lee look like prototypical WCO WRs but we already have crabtree mario manningham and aj jenkins all good players but also all are below 6 1

i think we have enough of the below 6 1 WR especially when we add KW and maybe ted gin or napalm to the list

we will be looking for a big bodied WR (unless we keep moss again) that we will probably just use in redzone duties like were using moss this year a guy who if lined up 1 on1 in redzone will almost be a automatic TD
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

agreed both robert woods and lee look like prototypical WCO WRs but we already have crabtree mario manningham and aj jenkins all good players but also all are below 6 1

i think we have enough of the below 6 1 WR especially when we add KW and maybe ted gin or napalm to the list

we will be looking for a big bodied WR (unless we keep moss again) that we will probably just use in redzone duties like were using moss this year a guy who if lined up 1 on1 in redzone will almost be a automatic TD

Agreed. We need some height at the WR position.

Haha, yes you made a good bet on that one. I generally agree with everything you are saying, but you never know what is going to happen, injuries trades or otherwise.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

Agree. Really liked the Tyms guy we had in camp. Was hoping he would stick on the practice squad.
needing a WR with size is over rated. If you have a 6'0 WR with potential pro bowl skills and pass on him to take a 6'4WR that might get 30 catches in a year, you'd be crazy.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
needing a WR with size is over rated. If you have a 6'0 WR with potential pro bowl skills and pass on him to take a 6'4WR that might get 30 catches in a year, you'd be crazy.

I say take the 6'4 probowl WR and double dip
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

Agree. Really liked the Tyms guy we had in camp. Was hoping he would stick on the practice squad.

I think we all need to be realistic that Moss is more then likely not coming back next season and there is ZERO free agency depth at WR this coming spring, so we'll likely take a lengthy WR in to develop. Justin Hunter, Keenan Allen, Terrance Williams*, Marquess Wilson, Da'Rick Rogers, Cobi Hamilton*, Cordalle Patterson, Jordan Matthews, Dan Buckner*, Marques Davis* are all listed at 6'3" and above. This draft is stacked with eligible underclassmen on top of a solid group of seniors slated to go at any given point in the draft.

We've sent scouts to 2 Virginia Tech games and Davis has shown up big in both of them and I think he is a late rounder maybe boosting to a mid rounder if Thomas keeps targeting him so he is a realistic target for us.

While it would be phenomenal for Lee or Woods to fall in our lap at 32 I still dont see us taking another sub 6'1" WR unless that is seriously JH's favorite size for wide out.
Originally posted by jreff22:

I say take the 6'4 probowl WR and double dip

If WR has size, he will go earlier then he is valued because teams are likely to put a premium on size that can play because its so rare. That means whenever we take a WR with size, we are reaching if we were just picking on talent alone.

Besides, here is the height of the top WRs last year:
1. Megatron - 6'5, 2nd pick
2. Wes Welker - 5'9
3. Victor Cruz - 6'0
4. Larry Fitz - 6'3, 3rd pick
5. Roddy White - 6'0
6. Jordy Nelson - 6'3, 36th pick
7. Brandon Marshall - 6'4, 119th pick
8. Mike Wallace - 6'0
9. Hakeem Nicks - 6'1
10. Dwayne Bowe - 6'2
11. Marques Colston - 6'4, 252nd pick
12. Antonio Brown - 5'10
13. Vincent Jackson 6'5, 61st pick
14. A.J. Green - 6'4, 4th pick
15. Nate Washington - 6'1
16. Steve Johnson - 6'2
17. DHB - 6'2
18. Percy Harvin - 5'11
19. Brandon Lloyd - 6'0
20. DeSean Jackson - 5'10
21. Reggie Wayne - 6'0
22. Julio Jones - 6'3, 6th pick
23. Greg Jennings - 5'11
24. Jabbar Gaffney - 6'2
25. Pierre Garcon - 6'0
26. Dez Bryant - 6'2
27. Anquan Boldin - 6'1
28. Michael Crabtree - 6'1
29. Jeremy Maclin - 6'0
30. Laurent Robinson - 6'2

So out of the top 30 WRs by yards, only 8 are 6'3 or taller.

Of those 8, 4 were taken in the top 10.

Chances are any WR with pro-bowl level talent that is 6'3 or taller won't be on the board when its our turn to draft. So of the 4 tpye of players we would have shot at:

Jordy Nelson - broke out his senior year
Brandon Marshall -broke out his senior year at Central Florida
Marques Colston - record setting WR that played at an AA school
Vincent Jackson - record setting WR that played at an AA school

All 4 guys were able to sneak under the radar either because like Nelson/Marshall they did largely nothing until their very final year or they played at an AA school.
^^ were not looking for any more WR to move the chains we have crabtree mario and AJ enkins for that next year

im taking a WR mismatch in the red zone a guy who will get TDs on mismatch

doesnt even have to be a high pick or anything im talking about a guy who has a high vertical who can beat press coverage and decent hands
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Sep 18, 2012 at 6:42 PM ]

If WR has size, he will go earlier then he is valued because teams are likely to put a premium on size that can play because its so rare. That means whenever we take a WR with size, we are reaching if we were just picking on talent alone.

All 4 guys were able to sneak under the radar either because like Nelson/Marshall they did largely nothing until their very final year or they played at an AA school.
Somebody big will always be around...might not get a top 5 talent but a big guy can be had....just need to find the right guy
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
USC WR's no thank you.
You guys just fail at understanding my points
  • sfout
  • Veteran
You guys just fail at understanding my points

I think I do, your point is that all of the top performing 6'3" receivers were picked in the top 10(or extremely early, say top 40) unless they came from a Div-1-AA school or now FCS. We dont need a top rated WR, we need a #4 WR who can be dependable in the RZ to out jump opponents.

if we have to spend a pick on people like Terrance Williams or Marcus Davis a round earlier then predicted just because of their size, this FO wont have a problem with it, as long as they get the guy they want. Ex: Aldon Smith and AJ Jenkins, Smith not as extreme as he was still a top 15 talent but no one expected him to go 7th and Jenkins was 2nd round grade but no one expected him to go 30th. We buck the trend, we'll get the guy we want and we wont care how we get him.
Ummm this guy has 255 receiving yards and it's only HALFTIME!!! Dude is a frickin BEAST!!! I wouldnt mind drafting another WR in the first round if it's this guy.
Share 49ersWebzone