LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Sketching out our 2013 Draft Needs

Originally posted by sfout:
lolz

seriously 1st round 3-4 DE to rotate in with Smith and Ray Mac, I like RJF and I dont understand why we arent doing it with him but I really think a 1st rond DE is the best thing even if we retain both RJF and ICE.
Thought, RJF is playing at NT instead of DE?
my new priority is now
1. 3-4 DE - find Justin's heir apparent, use him to relieve him and Ray mac for the next year or 2.
Yes, should be one of our highest priorities.
2. FS - If Goldon walks then we need a starting FS so i would flip this but right now the safety class is deep as hell
Don't care about deepness of a draft class anymore. Goldson will walk unless he takes a paycut imo. That means, we will need a starter. And I dont think that there will be a starter in any other round than the first.
3a. OT - we need a legit #3 tackle I do not want to see Boone go to LT or RT after seeing how well he is mauling people at RG, also notice how well AD is playing at RT? While it is also self-improvement from AD, the fact that Boone is mauling people helps free AD up to protect Alex.
According to this board, we have future pro-bowlers in the pipe
3b. WR - Ginn and Moss are both FAs, one or both of them will be gone and Manningham will have 1 year left if we opt not to extend him during the season. We need a quality developmental prospect to sit at #5 on the DC.
Plz dont count Ginn as a WR...Moss will be done here unless he improves: yeah, we will need another WR but we have already drafted one with our 1st-rounder. Crabtree will still be there. I opt for another experienced WR and perhaps a late-rounder who is falling due to unimportant issues.
4. ILB - Both Gooden and Grant are FA, while they might not be as hot of a commodity as we think, I could see 1 or both of them being gone, we need a very capable backup especially if we lose Grant.
You are right about that.
5a.. TE - Walker is an invaluable blocker but has become mediocre in the passing game, he might find big money elsewhere as well so it could be out of our hands, look for us to upgrade this or simply promote Celek and draft a new #3 TE.
That position could be drafted high, imo. Passing TEs are still hard to find.
5b. OLB - I agree we need to keep adding bodies here until someone sticks so just keep the competition going.
We need another pass-rushin OLB behind Brooks and Aldon badly, imo. Could be a BPA-pick on day one or two.
6. CB - We need to add another #5 CB to replace Brock, I doubt he'll be back but you never know
Don't care as long as our pass-rush does his job well.
  • jdean
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
Delanie is too small to be a good TE, imo...will be gone anyway, thus we will go after a TE in rounds 1-3, imo.
Safety-positions will under watch, imo.
RB could be another position which could be drafted for early...Jacobs is 30 already, Gore will be 30 next year. Hunter has to pan out as a constantly good runner. I think that we will draft at least a power-RB in mid-rounds. Perhaps Stephan Taylor from Stanford...

What about the rb that's on p.u.p.? His names jewel , I think.
Don't know anything about him.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jdean:
Originally posted by communist:
Delanie is too small to be a good TE, imo...will be gone anyway, thus we will go after a TE in rounds 1-3, imo.
Safety-positions will under watch, imo.
RB could be another position which could be drafted for early...Jacobs is 30 already, Gore will be 30 next year. Hunter has to pan out as a constantly good runner. I think that we will draft at least a power-RB in mid-rounds. Perhaps Stephan Taylor from Stanford...

What about the rb that's on p.u.p.? His names jewel , I think.

Jewel Hampton, former high profile player of Iowa, transfered due to falling out of the pecking order after a major injury. Cant recall if he had his 2nd injury at Iowa or the school he transfered to but he has potential to supplant Dixon but he is only 5'9 - 210. I dont recall any photos of him but that would seem a lot leaner then Hunter's 5-7 200 listed weight even though he has reportedly added 5+ pounds of muscle this off season.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Alex Boone has shown that he can play guard. That means our needs on the offensive line are at center and tackle.

I do not think the team will keep Parys, which means we will need an outside linebacker.

If we do not keep Dashon Goldson, we will need a free safety.

I think RJF can replace Sopoaga, but we still have to look for a player that can become a resemblance of Justin Smith.

At tight end, we need a better pass catcher than Delanie Walker to back up Vernon Davis.

I hope that we use our extra picks to trade up.

In my estimation at this point, our priorities are defensive end, a free safety, and center.

. .
DL, S, OLB, and TE
[ Edited by PTulini on Oct 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM ]
LIKELY NEEDS:
#3 and/or #4 OLB - Parys Haralson and Fleming both coming off season ending injuries. Haralson could be cut to save money. Practice squad has Cam Johnson. Haggans won't be around next year most likely.

3rd Tackle - We don't want to be shuffling Boone around since he is dominating at RG. With Person and Hall gone that leaves Wiggins as the only backup T who is on the practice squad.

CB - 5th CB Brock could be upgraded or get someone good enough to bump everyone down and make the group that much better.

POSSIBLE NEEDS:
FS - Will Goldson re-sign and are they comfortable with Spillman starting? I would tag him again if we can't get a deal done. Otherwise, I'd probably go 1st round FS if we do neither.

C - Goodwin could be replaced after this year saving 4.25 or so mil. Is Kilgore the future at center? If not C is way up on the list.

WR - Moss probably won't be back. We don't use him as much as he would like. Ginn is injured a lot and doesn't look like his old self returning. Plus he wanted to be more of a WR and he won't be that here so I can see him gone as well. I'd like a big tall physical type since Manningham/Crabtree/Jenkins/Williams are similar types of WRs (smaller, speedy, quick). Also, Williams and Manningham are FAs in 1 more year and Crabtree after 2 more but his last year can be voided. Might not be a high need yet but it could be in the next draft.

DE - Good backups in RJF, Tukuafu and Dobbs but if RJF is starting NT we could use another guy. I wouldn't mind a higher pick to replace Justin down the road and prolong his career by giving him breathers.

NT - Sopoaga and Ricky Jean-Francois are free agents. Look for us to re-sign at least one of them. Ian Williams will probably be the backup. If we re-sign neither it could be a big need.

ILB - Only if we lose Larry Grant and/or Tavares Gooden to FA. Practice squad Mike Wilhoite could take 1 of their places.

#2 TE - Walker is a FA... if he leaves would like a pass catching threat who can still block

Backup S - Between Spillman and Robinson not sure we have a reliable backup FS or SS.

Maybe 4th RB - A power short yardage RB/special teamer to upgrade over Anthony Dixon. Probably need a power guy to go with Gore, Hunter and James because Jacobs probably won't be back.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 20, 2012 at 7:12 AM ]
add another pass rusher
I really dont think Center is a need. Joe Looney and Dan Kilgore look to be the Centers of the future.
1a: #3 OLB
1b: #3 DE
3: #2 C
4: #3 S

whatever we can get after that...

Unless there's a tall WR in the first. Moss looks like a 1 year rental only. Crabs will probably leave. Mario looks good, but no one is solid.

Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Unless there's a tall WR in the first. Moss looks like a 1 year rental only. Crabs will probably leave. Mario looks good, but no one is solid.
What about a Number one-WR
S is going to be a large hole if they lose Goldson.

There will be depth issues at OLB and T and maybe C, if Kilgore isn't the guy.

Hopefully, there will be some money to spend amongst the Ginn, Moss, Haralson and Goodwin dollars that may be available if they aren't with the team next year.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

I know things didn't start off so great with Crabtree, but why do you think he would leave this team now?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I know things didn't start off so great with Crabtree, but why do you think he would leave this team now?

He's signed for 2 seasons after this one. I think we don't re-sign him or he chooses to not be back then but as for after this season he can't really leave unless we cut him. Would be a big surprise but out of curiousity I wonder how much we would save and what the cap hit would be? The person might be referring to him leaving when he is a FA in 3 years and not know.

P.S. I am pretty sure the last year of his deal is voidable so it's likely he is only with us this season and next. Again, not sure we re-sign him then... he will probably want too much and/or he wont be back. Not sure we will want him back either. Keep in mind according to rotoworld he only makes 3.5 that year (might be more with bonuses?) so it might be tough to void it at that amount. I think we paid him the big bucks already. Only making 4.5 next year.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 6, 2012 at 8:35 PM ]
big physical tall wr climbing the boards... pass rushing DE and olb climbing the boards...CB climbing the boards.... #2 TE climbing the boards (i think we should move on from walker) Might need to get a ST ace as well.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 19, 2012 at 4:37 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone