LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Sketching out our 2013 Draft Needs

No matter what happens, the 49ers need a starting quality S, a 3-4 OLB and a 3-4 DE. This team relies way too much on the starters and having quality guys to rotate in and out would be tremendous, especially at 3-4 DE, to get a 3-4 guy rotation going throughout the game, keeping guys like Justin Smith fresh for the 4th quarter.
WE needz aww thuh helps. We suk bawlz.
I share the feelings of quite a few in this post. So much will be determined by the rest of the season and FA. But for now:

2 DE - Someone with Justin-like potential - JJWatt fit that bill last year. JPPaul of the Giants type player. And one Tweener
OT - we need a quality player to step in if AD or Staley goes down. Also, as Staley's eventual replacement. It might bt Boone if Looney/Kilgore can handle the p[osition.
FS - we should be able to get a quality player here
ILB - If we can't resign Grant this is a must
WR - Not confident in taking one here because we don't seem to be using them effectively anyway - I'm referring to a Moss type player who can take it deep & fast
NT - I'm hoping Ian can step in for Soap but not sure.
Originally posted by jreff22:
OLB before any TE

not true, Fleming would be that guy as the #4 plus Haralson cominh back. We need OT depth way more
Goldson one week makes me want to pay him and cross FS off the list and then the next make me want to draft a FS in the 1st. He is up and down but he will be hard to replace if we do let him go. Pretty clear that even the best teams still have holes. We won't need all the picks but the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 3rd will be really important in fixing holes and getting some players for the future. We can't keep all our FAs we want back. I am warming up more and more to a 3-4 de to help give Smith/McDonald breathers. Smith is good but it's hard to not get wore down with 3 guys rushing and getting doubled every play. Keeping him fresh and prolonging his career might be the best way to go. Probably would make it a 2nd or a 3rd round need. FS would be #1 if Goldson is gone. Maybe OLB, WR, NT, or C as other 2nd or the other 3rd round need.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 25, 2012 at 5:37 PM ]
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by jreff22:
OLB before any TE

not true, Fleming would be that guy as the #4 plus Haralson cominh back. We need OT depth way more

Fleming is coming off major injury....not a lock
Haralson is coming off serious injury and will cost serious $$$....not a lock

We need a viable rotation at OLB more then a 3rd TE
What is this stuff about Staley's eventual replacement? He is a 6th year tackle. Not exactly a position like RB where guys hit a wall at 30. I think we almost have to go defense with the first 4 picks and I wouldn't be against making a move up if there is a guy that has the potential to be really special. The biggest needs being OLB and FS.
2013 Free Agents
RB Brandon Jacobs
WR Ted Ginn Jr
WR Randy Moss
TE Delanie Walker
OT/OG Leonard Davis
DL Ricky Jean Francois
DT Isaac Sopoaga
ILB Tavares Gooden
ILB Larry Grant
OLB Clark Haggans
CB Tramaine Brock
S Dashon Goldson

2014 Free Agents
K David Akers
QB Scott Tolzien
RB Anthony Dixon
WR Mario Maningham
WR Kyle Williams
TE/DT Demarcus Dobbs
C Jonathan Goodwin
DE Justin Smith
DT Will Tukuafu
ILB Navarro Bowman
LB Eric Bakhitari
OLB Parys Haralson
CB Perrish Cox
CB Tarrell Brown
S Done Whitner

Players 30 and over
K David Akers - 37
LS Brian Jennings - 35
WR Randy Moss - 35
OLB Clark Haggans - 35
OT/OG Leonard Davis - 34
C Jonathan Goodwin - 33
DE Justin Smith - 33
CB Carlos Rogers - 31
DT Isaac Sopoaga - 31
RB Brandon Jacobs - 30
P Andy Lee - 30
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Oct 2, 2012 at 10:45 AM ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
2013 Free Agents
RB Brandon Jacobs
WR Ted Ginn Jr
WR Randy Moss
TE Delanie Walker
OT/OG Leonard Davis
DL Ricky Jean Francois
DT Isaac Sopoaga
ILB Tavares Gooden
ILB Larry Grant
OLB Clark Haggans
CB Tramaine Brock
S Dashon Goldson

2014 Free Agents
K David Akers
QB Scott Tolzien
RB Anthony Dixon
WR Mario Maningham
TE/DT Demarcus Dobbs
C Jonathan Goodwin
DE Justin Smith
DT Will Tukuafu
ILB Navarro Bowman
LB Eric Bakhitari
OLB Parys Haralson
CB Perrish Cox
CB Tarrell Brown
S Done Whitner

Players 30 and over
K David Akers - 37
LS Brian Jennings - 35
WR Randy Moss - 35
OLB Clark Haggans - 35
OT/OG Leonard Davis - 34
C Jonathan Goodwin - 33
DE Justin Smith - 33
CB Carlos Rogers - 31
DT Isaac Sopoaga - 31
RB Brandon Jacobs - 30
P Andy Lee - 30

TE Delanie Walker
DL Ricky Jean Francois
ILB Larry Grant-
S Dashon Goldson

K David Akers
QB Scott Tolzien
WR Mario Maningham
TE/DT Demarcus Dobbs
DE Justin Smith
DT Will Tukuafu
ILB Navarro Bowman
CB Perrish Cox CB
CB Tarrell Brown
S Done Whitner
Also its important to note the state of our salary cap.

For 2013 we have $119 million in committed money, giving us just $3.5 million of room.

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Also its important to note the state of our salary cap.

For 2013 we have $119 million in committed money, giving us just $3.5 million of room.

we might need to extend every player like 2 years to get some extra cash
I kind of wonder if Goodwin is going to get cut. I know he is our starting center, but he is 33 years old and he is due to earn $5 million next year. Goodwin will be the 8th biggest cap hit on the team.

If Goodwin is cut, we'd have money to go after Goldson or Sopoaga or lockdown Bowman to a long term deal.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Oct 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM ]
Based on our projected FA's, positions we need to fill:
WR - we have 4 of our WRs set to be free agents the next years, with Crabs and Jenkins as our projected future
TE - Walker has been used quite a bit in our system as both a blocker and reciever, Dobbs has been a blocking TE
D-Line - Sopoaga will be tough to re-sign, Ricky Jean Francois will be a FA and probably looking for starter money, and Justin Smith is getting older
LB - Willis is locked up but the rest of our ILBs are all FAs, additionally we clearly want a pass rushing OLB to rotate in
CB - Brock has been sparingly rotated in, but Brown has emerged as a starter. Perish Cox has been used quite bit by us and has become our #3 corner while battling Culliver.
S - We all know Goldson wants to get paid top safety money, money that we don't have. Whitner also will probably be looking to get paid very well. We've also been neglecting this position in the draft and even if we do resign our guys, we need to build depth there at the very least.
No question with where the Niners sit with the cap that the needs are FS, CB, OLB, DE/DT. Hopefully they use their stockpile of picks to move up and go Quality over Quantity. IMO
[ Edited by genz22 on Oct 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM ]
Perhaps the stockpiling of picks was done in anticipation of plugging holes!!! I think we keep our picks & draft 2 bodies for every position of need...
[ Edited by NYCNINER on Oct 2, 2012 at 12:02 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone