LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 214 users in the forums

Sketching out our 2013 Draft Needs

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
It's being discussed in a few threads already but here is what I put:

LIKELY NEEDS:
#3 and/or #4 OLB - Depending on if we keep Parys or not we will need 1 or possibly 2 guys. Who knows what Fleming will bring and Cam seems to have nice size but needs to get stronger. Haggins won't be around next year most likely.

3rd Tackle - We don't want to be shuffling Boone around if he is playing well at G. With Person and Hall gone that leaves Wiggins as the only backup T (ps).

5th CB - Brock could be upgraded or get someone good enough to bump everyone down and make the group that much better.

Backup S - Between Spillman and Robinson not sure we have a reliable backup FS or SS.

POSSIBLE NEEDS:
FS - Will Goldson re-sign and are they comfortable with Spillman starting?

C - Goodwin could be replaced after this year. Is Kilgore the future at center?

WR - Ginn and Moss would be FAs leaving Manningham, Crabtree, Jenkins and Williams (maybe Palmer if he makes it on PS all yr). If Moss does well and is back then it might not be a concern.

NT - Sopoaga and Ricky Jean-Francois are free agents. Look for us to re-sign at least one of them. Not sure Ian Williams could start. If we re-sign one or the other and Ian is the backup I would be fairly confident and maybe not get a guy until late. ILB - Only if we lose Larry Grant and/or Tavares Gooden to FA Down the list...

DE - Good backups in RJF, Tukuafu and Dobbs but if RJF is starting NT we could use another guy.

TE - Only need a #2 if we lose Walker to FA. Possibly a #3.

1. we drafted two OLBs last year - they'll be ready next year

2. looney's got a good chance at winning the RG spot next year -- dude is going to be a beast, and everyone knows that. Boone goes back to swing tackle

3. yeah, we need another CB in the first three rounds or so. Brown is a FA after 2013 as well.

4. need a safety for sure - whitner is also a FA in 2013.

5. Looney can play Center -- he's been working with Jeremy Newberry to improve his skills in that area.

6. We have no business drafting WRs for a long time.

7. RJF is also a FA

idk about your thoughts on recievers. If we get Moss back next year, I say we draft a reciever in the mid rounds that has a high ceiling. Someone who could end up being a RZ target. I really wish we managed to get Brian Quick somehow, he was my favorite WR in the draft. Damn those Lambs. But someone simliar to him. Not the worlds fastest reciever, but I guy that has some talent.

I agree with the rest though.

I say we draft a CB with a higher ceiling than Brown as well. I think he's a good corner, but he's slightly overrated and will end up leaving for big bucks somewhere plus I think Brock gets traded to a team that needs a a #2/3 corner.

This year's draft is supposed to be a good year to draft NTs and Safties so we definitely need to grab a high profile player at one of those poisition, probably NT. ICE is gettin up there ad his contract is running out. RJF could leave in FA so I see us re-signing ICE and then drafting a guy to replace RJF

Our Center will be between Kilgore and Looney but that depends on how Boone does at RG since Looney was drafted to be a RG. Our linemen are a versatile group of guys so it doesnt matter too much but drafting a C and OT in mid-rounds wouldnt be too bad. Just to get some quality backs -ups is the goal.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
idk about your thoughts on recievers. If we get Moss back next year, I say we draft a reciever in the mid rounds that has a high ceiling. Someone who could end up being a RZ target. I really wish we managed to get Brian Quick somehow, he was my favorite WR in the draft. Damn those Lambs. But someone simliar to him. Not the worlds fastest reciever, but I guy that has some talent.

I say we draft a CB with a higher ceiling than Brown as well. I think he's a good corner, but he's slightly overrated and will end up leaving for big bucks somewhere plus I think Brock gets traded to a team that needs a a #2/3 corner.

This year's draft is supposed to be a good year to draft NTs and Safties so we definitely need to grab a high profile player at one of those poisition, probably NT. ICE is gettin up there ad his contract is running out. RJF could leave in FA so I see us re-signing ICE and then drafting a guy to replace RJF

Our Center will be between Kilgore and Looney but that depends on how Boone does at RG since Looney was drafted to be a RG. Our linemen are a versatile group of guys so it doesnt matter too much but drafting a C and OT in mid-rounds wouldnt be too bad. Just to get some quality backs -ups is the goal.

Unless we cut a WR we cant keep the full set from this year and draft another one.

Nobody will trade for Brock to be a #2...while he currently is 5th.

Drafting a CB who "should" replace Brown means we are not going to use Cully....and we would have to burn a very high pick to do that.

Looney will be staying at OG, Kilgore has been "groomed" for center....expect another center/guard and possibly an OT to be drafted as well
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by martysofresh:

Unless we cut a WR we cant keep the full set from this year and draft another one.

Nobody will trade for Brock to be a #2...while he currently is 5th.

Drafting a CB who "should" replace Brown means we are not going to use Cully....and we would have to burn a very high pick to do that.

Looney will be staying at OG, Kilgore has been "groomed" for center....expect another center/guard and possibly an OT to be drafted as well

Jreff hits the nail on the head. We only draft another receiver if we dont re-sign Moss and/or Ginn. Say its Moss that leaves and we do draft one Baalke will likely take a next man up approach and just move up everyone on the DC with Manningham taking #2, Jenkins and KW duke it out for the #3 job while drafting a mid to late rounder to duke it out with Palmer(should he be on our roster in the spring).

We'd be lucky to get a consider 2015 7th rounder for Brock. He will not be re-sign unless he becomes this seasons Colin Jones on ST and shows he get back to summer 2011 form.

As jreff says we already have a corner who "should replace" either Rogers or Brown and that is Chris Culliver. Cully has all of the tools to become a solid corner and then there is Perrish Cox who was graded as a 2nd rounder before he fell to the 5th round with off field issues, he has the talent as well and if there is one thing we know about our coaches is that they know how to bring out the best in a player. We wont be drafting a CB unless he is absolutely the best player available and even then Baalke has clearly shown he isn't afraid to take a player "early" see both Aldon Smith and AJ Jenkins picks or trade back in a maniacal fashion to gather picks if he is confident he will still be there, see Joe Looney pick we traded back from our 3rd round pick all the way to the middle/end of round 4 and still snagged the guy we wanted. No way we touch a CB this season.

and lastly he is 100% right that we will be grooming Looney as the primary backup at OG, Kilgore is clearly the front runner for "Center of the future" seeing how the staff is confident enough in him to have be #2 behind Goodwin. Should we see Kaepernick in mop-up duty this season we will likely see Kilgore out there as well.

And again he's right with the projection that we'll be drafting a quality swing tackle early, I'd go so far as to say in the 4th round.
Yeah, like I said I would only go WR if we lose Moss (assuming he does well) and then Ginn. If we get Moss back then I am fine with Crabtree, Moss, Manningham,
Kyle/AJ

Would never draft a WR if we keep the 6 we have now for next year (assuming all play well).

Would fully agree like I mentioned that Kilgore is the future at center and if they don't think he is we go to the draft. Looney will be backup guard and take over for Leonard Davis hopefully as that guy who comes in as an extra tackle/jumbo package.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 11, 2012 at 7:21 AM ]
RD 1 ..Outside Linebacker
RD 2. Safety
RD 3. Center
RD 4. Tight End
RD 5 Guard
RD 6 Outside Linebacker

Outside Linebacker should be top priority , we need depth and another LB to help with the pass rush

I can see us re-signing both Soap & RJF , so there will be no need to draft a D-Lineman

Goldson will be a goner, so we need to spend a high draft pick on a safety

Kilgore should be ready to start at center , but drafting a center that can also play some guard would be a wise move and provide depth

Walker will also be a goner, but I hope he stays , if not, we need to find a quality TE to team with Davis
Though we are thin at OLB, I dont see us drafting one in the first round unless the guy is a clear-cut BPA...I do think that we will need Safety in first place and even if this year's class is relatively deep, I wanna draft a day one-starter, thus dont wanna wait til round 2 and so on.
Furthermore Center can be another first round-position if there will be available a starter.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
RD 1 ..Outside Linebacker
RD 2. Safety
RD 3. Center
RD 4. Tight End
RD 5 Guard
RD 6 Outside Linebacker

Outside Linebacker should be top priority , we need depth and another LB to help with the pass rush

I can see us re-signing both Soap & RJF , so there will be no need to draft a D-Lineman

Goldson will be a goner, so we need to spend a high draft pick on a safety

Kilgore should be ready to start at center , but drafting a center that can also play some guard would be a wise move and provide depth

Walker will also be a goner, but I hope he stays , if not, we need to find a quality TE to team with Davis

Why would we draft a #3 or #4 OLB in round 1? Our starters are locked in and we still have 3 more backups locked up for at least another year, 3 if you only look at Fleming and Johnson. The fact that you left Defensive Tackle out is pretty hilarious, we could potentially lose both our #1 and #2 Nose Tackles in FA. Also Inside Linebacker is more of priority then OLB because we could also lose both backups in FA.

OT is more of priority then C or G because we have depth there, OT we need a true swing tackle that way Boone does not have to leave RG if Staley or Davis gets hurt.
Our needs will be based on getting the cost of our defense down while keeping the core players happy. I think we will extend Justin Smith and resign RJF to replace Soap (who is very expensive for the amount of playing time he gets). We also have lots of young DL that we are developing (Dobbs, Williams, Tufukua). Goldson will walk. Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson will step up to provide depth at OLB next year.

So... our needs are:

1. Safety - we need a playmaker that can step into a starting role right away

2. OT - If Boone plays all season at OG, then we need another guy to be the swing backup OT. I'd look for someone in the 3rd round.

3. TE - D. Walker is getting expensive and he isn't as good as people think. Let him go to a team that will make him a starter and draft a replacement.

4. PK - Akers is getting up there in years. He will probably retire when his current deal is up. We desperately need a replacement.

5. ILB - Larry Grant will probably leave in FA. We can keep Bowman around for a couple more season's, but he will command a lot of money after that. We should start developing a replacement.
[ Edited by blm7754 on Sep 11, 2012 at 8:06 AM ]
Originally posted by blm7754:
Our needs will be based on getting the cost of our defense down while keeping the core players happy. I think we will extend Justin Smith and resign RJF to replace Soap (who is very expensive for the amount of playing time he gets). We also have lots of young DL that we are developing (Dobbs, Williams, Tufukua). Goldson will walk. Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson will step up to provide depth at OLB next year.

So... our needs are:

1. Safety - we need a playmaker that can step into a starting role right away

2. OT - If Boone plays all season at OG, then we need another guy to be the swing backup OT. I'd look for someone in the 3rd round.

3. TE - D. Walker is getting expensive and he isn't as good as people think. Let him go to a team that will make him a starter and draft a replacement.

4. PK - Akers is getting up there in years. He will probably retire when his current deal is up. We desperately need a replacement.

5. ILB - Larry Grant will probably leave in FA. We can keep Bowman around for a couple more season's, but he will command a lot of money after that. We should start developing a replacement.

Let me add that drafting a DL isn't out of the question. But I don't think we need one unless there is a clear cut star on the board when we pick. We don't need anymore developmental guys. But with J. Smith getting older, it wouldn't hurt to grab a difference maker at DL.
Originally posted by sfout:
Parys is with this team for 2013, its a torn tricep while serious it is by no means anywhere near as serious as a torn pectoral muscle or completely switching gears a torn ACL. We will have Parys back in 2013 and probably longer then that unless he opts to test the market in hopes of landing on a OLB needy team willing to overpay.

With a year under their belt both Fleming and Johnson will be able to contribute next season, while there is a chance of them being cut I just dont see it happening. The reports coming out of the local media was that Fleming could be a situational pass rusher in week 1. If its already coming out we envision Fleming as long term backup or someone to keep Brooks' on his best game then I can't see us dipping into the OLB market again unless they player is simply too good to pass up.

Most important needs in terms of draft choice / free agency is
DL
ILB
S
TE
Swing Tackle
WR (we have to resolve the contracts of Ginn and Moss otherwise we could be dipping right back into the market for at minimum a #4 WR. Hopefully we bring back both of them and keep the good things going while Jenkins progressions.
RB We need to see what Jacobs does for us and how much of a factor he is but we might opt to let him walk and go back to 3 RB set but I think 4 is very likely again next year.

Jenkins was a first round pick. He should be ready to start at WR next year. With Crabtree, Jenkins, Manningham, and K. Williams I think we are set at WR in 2013. Maybe pickup a developmental type of player in the later rounds.

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
Jenkins was a first round pick. He should be ready to start at WR next year. With Crabtree, Jenkins, Manningham, and K. Williams I think we are set at WR in 2013. Maybe pickup a developmental type of player in the later rounds.

I dont know if he'll start but I have a feeling that if Moss retires or doesn't re-sign then we wont be drafting a WR but promoting everyone 1 spot. I said it in one of my posts on this page.

Manningham to #2
Jenkins and Williams duke it out for #3
Despite popular opinion I dont see us re-signing Ginn unless he has an all-pro year with several returns for TDs so if anything we will draft a mid to late rounder to duke it out with Nathan Palmer with those 2 rounding out the top 5. Maybe we go with 6 WRs again but who knows
  • sfout
  • Veteran
also look this thread is indirectly linked to my 49er Free Agent Rankings so here is the ultra condensed version with Free Agent / On roster replacement.

1. Isaac Sopoaga – Potential replacement on roster: Ian Williams
2. Dashon Goldson – Potential replacement on roster: CJ Spillman, Trenton Robinson, Michael Thomas
3. Delanie Walker – Potential replacement on roster: Garrett Celek
4. Ricky Jean-Francois – Potential replacement on roster: Will Tukuafu
5. Randy Moss – Potential replacement on roster: Mario Manningham
6. Ted Ginn – Potential replacement on roster: AJ Jenkins, Kyle Williams, Nathan Palmer, or LaMichael James and Perrish Cox(from a KR standpoint only)
7. Larry Grant – Potential replacement on roster: Michael Wilhoite
8. Tavares Gooden – Potential replacement on roster: Michael Wilhoite
9. Leonard Davis – Potential replacement on roster: Joe Looney or Al Netter
10. Clark Haggans – Potential replacement on roster: Parys Haralson, Darius Fleming, or Cam Johnson
11. Brandon Jacobs – Potential replacement on roster: LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon, Jewel Hampton
12. Tramaine Brock – Potential replacement on roster: N/A
13. Darcel McBath – Potential replacement on roster: Michael Thomas

I agree with the opinion in this thread that RJF is going to replace Sopoaga, then I do not believe we re-sign Goldson I think we make an offer but I doubt he re-signs especially if he has a pro-bowl year. I think we will make a competitive offer to Jairus Byrd if he makes it to the open market but end up drafting a safety early. I dont see Walker receiving some blockbuster deal on the market but another team might be enamored with the ever increasing 2TE fad and opt to sign a veteran like Walker, so it'll come down to our FO feeling if an upgrade is possible there. But I can easily see a future in which all 3 of these players are not 49ers.

IMHO since we have 12 or maybe 13 picks depending on the compensatory picks then I would put RJF, Moss(if his performance continues), Larry Grant, Tavares Gooden, and Brandon Jacobs(if he performs the same as he did in preseason) as our top priorities. Re-signing those 5 and finding suitable replacements in the draft for the other 8 seems very likely to me.
Yeah, another #3 ILB, a future replacement for Justin Smith and perhaps an immeadiate replacement at NT could be a needed too. Though, I hope/think that RJF and Ian Williams respectively could step in as starters.
Maybe TE is already set with Garret Celek? Maybe they invision him as Delanie's replacement. Who knows. I love Delanie as he does all the dirty work but he fights the ball every catch.

Needs/
Free Safety
Defensive Line
Outside Linebacker
Wide Receiver
Offensive Line
OLB
TE
NT
DE
PR/KR
FS