LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Mark one draft pick for

• Elric
  • Veteran
What positions do you feel (with a reason) will we be drafting for nexts year?

OLB simple deduction says we have three and were bringing in a 35 year old Haggans for a one year stop gap.
I'm pulling for Cam Johnson to be coached up and healed for next years spring practice.

For those that think we might need a defesive end don't go there.
I'm very impressed with the unasooming talent we have piling up.
I watch them in preseason they looked good real good.

Tukuafu, WillDT Height6'4 Weight "293 reserve
Masifilo DE Height: 6-4 Weight: 278 practice sqwad
Tony Jerod-Eddie Height: 6-4 Weight: 305 pratice sqwad
DE? Don't go there
I agree that OLB will be one of the first two picks in the draft.
LIKELY NEEDS:
#3 and/or #4 OLB - Depending on if we keep Parys or not we will need 1 or possibly 2 guys. Who knows what Fleming will bring and Cam seems to have nice size but needs to get stronger. Haggins won't be around next year most likely.

3rd Tackle - We don't want to be shuffling Boone around if he is playing well at G. With Person and Hall gone that leaves Wiggins as the only backup T (ps).

5th CB - Brock could be upgraded or get someone good enough to bump everyone down and make the group that much better.

Backup S - Between Spillman and Robinson not sure we have a reliable backup FS or SS.

POSSIBLE NEEDS:
FS - Will Goldson re-sign and are they comfortable with Spillman starting?

C - Goodwin could be replaced after this year. Is Kilgore the future at center?

WR - Ginn and Moss would be FAs leaving Manningham, Crabtree, Jenkins and Williams (maybe Palmer if he makes it on PS all yr). If Moss does well and is back then it might not be a concern.

NT - Sopoaga and Ricky Jean-Francois are free agents. Look for us to re-sign at least one of them. Not sure Ian Williams could start. If we re-sign one or the other and Ian is the backup I would be fairly confident and maybe not get a guy until late.

ILB - Only if we lose Larry Grant and/or Tavares Gooden to FA Down the list...

DE - Good backups in RJF, Tukuafu and Dobbs but if RJF is starting NT we could use another guy.

TE - Only need a #2 if we lose Walker to FA. Possibly a #3.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 3, 2012 at 7:15 AM ]
Defensive line, secondary, LB
We need another Justin type player. He'll be 32 next year and [although very early] I don't see anyone on our roster producing near his level.

Pass rushing LB

Secondary

In Baalke I trust.
  • Elric
  • Veteran
Walker is usually someone I thought was limited in his abilities.
Meaning expendable.

Watching him in the preseason WOW I dot know what hes been doing for a
work out but he looks like a totaly different person.
the catch on the sideline and the adgility to manuver and jump into the endzone WOW.
He is a player to watch this year.
We have $3.304M in cap space right now for 2013, and can free up over $4M by releasing Goodwin, and $2.87M by cutting Haralson. So that would leave us only $10.174M under. We need to address backup OLB spot big time, hoping Cam Johnson and Darius Fleming come back healthy, if so we should be ok.

NT is huge, Sopoaga and Jean Francois are free agents, RJF would be cheaper, so I would go RJF, plus younger.

TE would be if Walker walks, I think he would stay, around 2.5M to 3M a yr is fair for a 2nd TE, who is a key part of the offense.

C would be too if Goodwin is gone, hopefully Kilgore would step up.

WR is a wildcard, Jenkins, Mario, Crabtree and Williams are signed past 2012, with Mario and Kyle though 2013, Crabtree 2014, and Jenkins through 2015. If Moss breaks out, I can see a 2yr deal for him, 2M a yr would be fair.

We can save some cash by extending Justin Smith thorugh say 2015, cut his 7.5M base salary down to minimum and save around 6M in space.

If done so we would have 16.174M in room. Need 5M for draftees, then Walker at 2.5M, Moss 2M, say 1.5M for RJF, leaves 8.174M, I see Goldson gone and Sopoaga, so we draft replacements. Also need a 5th CB, Brock isn't worth a 1.26m tender. Grant would be gone, I can't see us paying more than 1.5M for him a yr. Gooden is easy sign, vet minimum for credit wise.

We would have these guys under contract for 2013

QB Alex Smith
QB Colin Kaepernick
QB Scott Tolzien (RFA in 2014)
RB Frank Gore
RB Kendall Hunter
RB LaMichael James
RB Anthony Dixon (UFA in 2014)
RB Jewel Hampton
FB Bruce MIller
WR Randy Moss
WR Mario Manningham (UFA in 2014)
WR Michael Crabtree
WR Kyle Williams
WR AJ Jenkins
TE Vernon Davis
TE Delanie Walker
C Daniel Kilgore
OG Mike Iupati
OG Alex Boone
OG Joe Looney
OT Joe Staley
OT Anthony Davis
DE Justin Smith
DE Ray McDonald
DE Will Tukuafu (RFA in 2014)
DE/TE Demarcus Dobbs (RFA in 2014)
NT Ricky Jean Francois
NT Ian Williams (RFA in 2014)
OLB Ahmad Brooks
OLB Aldon Smith
OLB Darius Fleming
ILB Patrick Willis
ILB NaVorro Bowman (UFA in 2014)
ILB Tavares Gooden
CB Carlos Rogers
CB Tarell Brown (UFA in 2014)
CB Chris Culliver
CB Perrish Cox (RFA in 2014)
S CJ Spillman
S Donte Whitner (UFA in 2014)
S Trenton Robinson
PK David Akers (UFA in 2014)
P Andy Lee
LS Brian Jennings

Then if the 8 PS players make it then we have WR Palmer, OT Netter, OT Wiggins, DE Jerod-Eddie, DE Masifilo, OLB Johnson, ILB Wilhoite and S Thomas on roster.

We could also approach Whitner and Akers to extend them, and lower salaries a bit.
Center and Nose Tackle. Both will take a couple of years to develop. We can afford that now.
Originally posted by English:
Center and Nose Tackle. Both will take a couple of years to develop. We can afford that now.

Kilgore

You are a master of the obvious.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Kilgore

Kilgore at Center, Ian Williams at NT, and assume Soap will return, do DL is OK
I'd draft OT (a swing guy), NT, and a TE of future (Syracuse has a Walker clone on their team), and a Safety. I dont see the need of overdarfting positions like WR, RB, QB, etc.
I'd draft OT (a swing guy), NT, and a TE of future (Syracuse has a Walker clone on their team), and a Safety. I dont see the need of overdarfting positions like WR, RB, QB, etc.
Originally posted by Elric:
What positions do you feel (with a reason) will we be drafting for nexts year?

OLB simple deduction says we have three and were bringing in a 35 year old Haggans for a one year stop gap.
I'm pulling for Cam Johnson to be coached up and healed for next years spring practice.

For those that think we might need a defesive end don't go there.
I'm very impressed with the unasooming talent we have piling up.
I watch them in preseason they looked good real good.

Tukuafu, WillDT Height6'4 Weight "293 reserve
Masifilo DE Height: 6-4 Weight: 278 practice sqwad
Tony Jerod-Eddie Height: 6-4 Weight: 305 pratice sqwad

Agreed on DE position unless theirs a moster RDE in draft. But content with extending Justin 1-2 yrs. and groom his replacement. I'd draft a true NT though and give Sope 1 more yr., and extend RJF now.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by jreff22:

Kilgore

Kilgore at Center, Ian Williams at NT, and assume Soap will return, do DL is OK
Much better prospects at NT will be available this year.
Share 49ersWebzone