There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

LieutKaffee's Draft Grades and Analysis

Let's put it this way: would anyone in their wildest imagination, 3 yrs ago, even remotely consider the 49ers drafting a back for situational needs? It goes to show just how far this team has come in the last 36 mos, bringing in Jacobs, drafting LaMichael, and adding what probably will be the ONE BEST WR in the draft(at #30 no less)...of course, looking back just a few mos we were 2 PR fumbles away from going to and winnning the SB, so obviously we have made giant strides. But when your team is drafting situational players, you know our GM and HC are doing their jobs. AJ is more than just situational, but i predict that within the first 4 -5 games of the season, he WILL be the starting WR. So Aj helps with moving the chains AND 1st,and 2nd downs. Those with short memories, or amnesia, certainly remember that we couldn't break .500 since 2002(or was it 2001). this is a championship team, with the league's newest and best coach, wth a GM who is probably the top of his class also. No one wants to remember those dreadful noln yrs, followed by the even more dreadful B.M yrs.(big mike). Yet here we are, drafting for situational players, when a brief 3 yrs ago we had essentially 3 or 4 legit starters. What a difference great coacing makes, and what a difference a great GM makes.

Mel kiper giving our guys a C+ is based on what he thot our needs were and who he thot was best to fill them. Give me baalke and harbaugh any day. Count of AJ becoming the best WR in the draft, and La michael making our 3rd down failings a thing of the past. As for OG, just give B& H half a season to prove we have the guys on the roster to make a substantial upgrade over snyder on the OL. The depth at D was necessary, well thot out, and the stockpiling 3 picks wasn't too shabby either.

Initial grade A, but feel relatively certain that by midseason that will to an A+.
Originally posted by Kaz9er:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I gave it B+ with just picks, A+ with the trades for extra picks, it was that good.

Honestly we had a very underated draft when I really thought about how they addressed certain needs while putting us in a great position next year. They did pretty darn good.

Agreed, we drafted for depth and not adding future replacements. And very underrated draft, not flashy, which I like. The only real known big name was Cam Johnson and in the 7th round is a value, and hopefully a steal.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Let's put it this way: would anyone in their wildest imagination, 3 yrs ago, even remotely consider the 49ers drafting a back for situational needs? It goes to show just how far this team has come in the last 36 mos, bringing in Jacobs, drafting LaMichael, and adding what probably will be the ONE BEST WR in the draft(at #30 no less)...of course, looking back just a few mos we were 2 PR fumbles away from going to and winnning the SB, so obviously we have made giant strides. But when your team is drafting situational players, you know our GM and HC are doing their jobs. AJ is more than just situational, but i predict that within the first 4 -5 games of the season, he WILL be the starting WR. So Aj helps with moving the chains AND 1st,and 2nd downs. Those with short memories, or amnesia, certainly remember that we couldn't break .500 since 2002(or was it 2001). this is a championship team, with the league's newest and best coach, wth a GM who is probably the top of his class also. No one wants to remember those dreadful noln yrs, followed by the even more dreadful B.M yrs.(big mike). Yet here we are, drafting for situational players, when a brief 3 yrs ago we had essentially 3 or 4 legit starters. What a difference great coacing makes, and what a difference a great GM makes.

Mel kiper giving our guys a C+ is based on what he thot our needs were and who he thot was best to fill them. Give me baalke and harbaugh any day. Count of AJ becoming the best WR in the draft, and La michael making our 3rd down failings a thing of the past. As for OG, just give B& H half a season to prove we have the guys on the roster to make a substantial upgrade over snyder on the OL. The depth at D was necessary, well thot out, and the stockpiling 3 picks wasn't too shabby either.

Initial grade A, but feel relatively certain that by midseason that will to an A+.

I personally never thought we would never find someone who closely to Walsh as a GM. I love Baalke, he has balls, he isn't gonna do what is the "popular" decision, but he went for tough, good and solid football players.

I never thought in 3 drafts under baalke we would have this many quality starter like players.

2010 got us 3 solid players, Iupati at LG, Davis at RT and Bowman at ILB with Willis, I also like that Nate Byham is a solid blocking TE to have.

2011 netted us 5 solid players who contributed in 2011, Aldon at OLB, Culliver at CB, Hunter at RB, Miller at FB and Jones on Special Teams, and we may have found a gem in KIlgore in the 5th round if he starts, or heck becomes the Center after 2012.

now 2012 gets us some nice potential in the 1st 3 picks, Jenkins I expect to be a quality #2 WR, James will our Darren Sproles and Looney will be our RG with Kilgore at C in the future. I feel we added nice Special Team players in Fleming and Robinson. Cam Johnson is a wild card, I hope he proves he is a worth a spot on the 53 man.

Honestly not many misses in the 3 years, only Johnson in 2011, maybe Dixon. I also want to see Curtis Holcomb with a fresh start coming off injury can do.

Also gotta think about UDFAs we have had, Alex Boone, Demarcus Dobbs and Ian Williams, and I hope guys like Reuland, Beeler, Owusu, Bademosi, Nelms, Jerod-Eddie get a shot at PS, and maybe some make the roster as surprises.
So often, I see solutions (in business) really not addressing the real problems/questions.

Using this thought process on the Niners draft and UFA We:

• We got bigger (Moss and B. Jacobs) from UFA
  • We got faster (Jenkins and James) from the draft
  • Drafted a guard
  • Drafted for depth

Result:
  • The new Niners (Draft and FA) have added bigger and faster players as if to address a need for a lack of explosive players.
  • They added a guard as their 3rd highest pick. As if to address a need at that position.
  • Lower picks where we have solid starters as if a need to address depth.

I think our results address our problems well. So kudos for Harbaalke. What I didn't know was how important the Niners wanted explosive type players. This is apparently very important to them, even more than finding a starting guard.
'A' for snagging the Panther's third round pick.
Originally posted by adrenaline:

I hope we keep taking future picks from Carolina
Originally posted by YungAce:
Originally posted by adrenaline:

I hope we keep taking future picks from Carolina

Hopefully we raped them again like in the 09 draft when we got their 1st in 2010 for Everette Brown, who now isn't with the Panthers and is on a minimum deal, can't remember the team, might be Chicago or Detroit.
Wanted to add my projections of where these players will end up by the end of their careers based on purely objective opinions from multiple draft experts:

1) AJ Jenkins - Surefire first ballot hall of famer, probably breaks all of Rice's records
2) LMJ - A new position will be created in the offense just for him to combine his skills as a Running Back and Wide Receiver called the "Wide Running Beaver". Hesitant at first, the league takes a couple years to make this an official position and introduce it to the Hall of Fame when LMJ retires.
4) Looney - Hall of Fame
5) Flemming - Hall of Fame on the second ballot
6) Robinson - Gets inducted to hall of fame while he is still playing... his greatness makes the league waive the 5 yr and retired requirement
6) Slowey - Hall of Fame not only at the center position but every position across the line. After retirement he b*tch slaps the other 7 dwarves and take Snow White for himself.
7) Johnson - Will be inducted to the hall of fame while serving a 10 year prison sentance for accidentally decapitating Stafford during a sack... his 30th of that particular season.

No Homer
Originally posted by 5280High:
Wanted to add my projections of where these players will end up by the end of their careers based on purely objective opinions from multiple draft experts:

1) AJ Jenkins - Surefire first ballot hall of famer, probably breaks all of Rice's records
2) LMJ - A new position will be created in the offense just for him to combine his skills as a Running Back and Wide Receiver called the "Wide Running Beaver". Hesitant at first, the league takes a couple years to make this an official position and introduce it to the Hall of Fame when LMJ retires.
4) Looney - Hall of Fame
6) Robinson - Gets inducted to hall of fame while he is still playing... his greatness makes the league waive the 5 yr and retired requirement
6) Slowey - Hall of Fame not only at the center position but every position across the line. After retirement he b*tch slaps the other 7 dwarves and take Snow White for himself.
7) Johnson - Will be inducted to the hall of fame while serving a 10 year prison sentance for accidentally decapitating Stafford during a sack... his 30th of that particular season.

No Homer
Sorry, but based not only on the purely objective opinions of multiple draft experts but also those of numerous draft gurus, I have to disagree.

1.) Jenkins--arrested for breaking into Rice's home, sez he's just looking for some "records" to break, apologizes to everyone and goes on a crash weight gain diet where he gains 100+ pounds and starts his career all over at RG. As a RG he is touted as "very fast and very soft hands."

2.) LMJ--the term "Wide Running Beaver" is challenged in Federal Court by various indigenous groups, and found to be, like the term "Packers," politically incorrect. LMJ promptly retires, rather than propagate said political incorrectness any further.

4.) Looney-his Bugs Bunny impression at training camp brings rave reviews, prompts Joe to pursue acting career, enters Hollywood Hall of Fame for "outstanding reverse caricature."

5.) Flemming--unable to find a real "position" on the field, Darius writes a series of spy novels as an outlet for his frustration, retires as a wealthy author and winner of numerous literary awards. Changes his first name to Igor.

6.) Slowey--have to agree, you nailed this one.

7.) Johnson--your observations here are based on the common misconception that Stafford is actually taller than he is. This was the basis of Cam's successful defense at his criminal trial--where he was exonerated and got a personal apology from Jim Schwartz.

No Illiad nor Odessy
Just making sure... this isn't serious, right?
Question: Lets say Jenkins flourishes, becomes our #1, Moss returns to his HOF self, Williams has break out year with better cast, Manningham does whatever he was brought in to do, does Crab become the odd man out?
i dont think realistically we can call this draft an A+ although i am very happy with many of the picks we made.
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
i dont think realistically we can call this draft an A+ although i am very happy with many of the picks we made.

This is tongue in cheek. No team gets an A+. The groans and "oh wow" moments the niners produced tell you it was a high risk, hig reward or high failure draft.

Nothing against it, but I did have thoughts of the draft when the Niners reached for a certain fisherman, when they could have gotten such better players on the board. Hope I am wrong and Jenkins pulls an Aldon.

I also like the Lemichael james pick, but the skeptic in me says is he that much better than Kendall Hunter?? I thought Turbin was a better fit, but then again that is why I am not a GM
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

4) Looney - Hall of Fame

No Homer
Sorry, but based not only on the purely objective opinions of multiple draft experts but also those of numerous draft gurus, I have to disagree.

1.) Jenkins--arrested for breaking into Rice's home, sez he's just looking for some "records" to break, apologizes to everyone and goes on a crash weight gain diet where he gains 100+ pounds and starts his career all over at RG. As a RG he is touted as "very fast and very soft hands."

2.) LMJ--the term "Wide Running Beaver" is challenged in Federal Court by various indigenous groups, and found to be, like the term "Packers," politically incorrect. LMJ promptly retires, rather than propagate said political incorrectness any further.

4.) Looney-his Bugs Bunny impression at training camp brings rave reviews, prompts Joe to pursue acting career, enters Hollywood Hall of Fame for "outstanding reverse caricature."

5.) Flemming--unable to find a real "position" on the field, Darius writes a series of spy novels as an outlet for his frustration, retires as a wealthy author and winner of numerous literary awards. Changes his first name to Igor.

7.) Johnson--your observations here are based on the common misconception that Stafford is actually taller than he is. This was the basis of Cam's successful defense at his criminal trial--where he was exonerated and got a personal apology from Jim Schwartz.

No Illiad nor Odessy
Touche'

Originally posted by oldninerdude:

4) Looney - Hall of Fame

No Homer

No Illiad nor Odessy
Touche'

Gracias.

I think we both nailed it this year with our respective draft analyses, draft grades, draft observations, draft beer, draft evasion, drafty rooms, drafty underpants, dirty jokes, recitation of epic poetry, and post draft good times..

Not necessarilty in that order, of course.

And please note that our boards were not intended to be rankings of players, or of their talents, abilities, measurables, IQs, or shoe sizes. Any resemblance to reality, past or present, is purely coincidental and unintended.

The boards are not lists, rankings, positionings, or prognostications, and any player you might see on them is not really where he appears to be. So if he's drafted somewhere else, total deniability is available. Unless, of course, we want to take credit.

And we do.

Its been a fun run, a crazy trip, an epic event, but well worth all the late hours and many hangovers. At least for you. For me, not so much, but I digress.

Grading this draft posed incredible difficulties to surpass, numerous challenges to ignore, and enormous obstacles to overcome, as you well know. I think.

I almost just gave it an incomplete, but knowing how very, very, very much depends on my post draft grade each year, I decided to go blindfolded and just try to pin the tail on the donkey. Who knew that Ms. Buxley would be not only ticklish, but a screamer as well. I'm sure charges will be dropped, eventually.

My hope, as yours is as well, I'm sure, is that Baalke and Harbaugh actually learn from our epic efforts and improve their performance on next year's draft.

Of course, there's always the many, many, many adoring fans on the webzone who follow our boards so religiously every year (mine more than yours, but who's counting) (I am).

So let me thank you, the Academy, my mom and dad, my aunts and uncles, my wife, my producer, my director, my pets--especially my dog, Mr. Tinkle--and above all, my many, many fawning fans.

So congrats, my good, good friend. Never forget that I picked two or three more guys than you this year, again, and came closer to actually predicting Mr. Irrelevant than ever.

[ Edited by oldninerdude on May 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM ]