LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Draft Grades: Kiper and others

Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
I give Kiper a C, McShay a D and Mayock a B+.

Mayock is usually the smartest one.
  • mike
  • Veteran
I picked up an espn magazine at the library today and saw the picks they projected and just laughed. "Janoris Jenkins", well you were close Kiper...They got the last name right.
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by jreff22:
It was a weird draft. The play at OG will be a determining factor on how to grade this.

I disagree, the draft will be evaluated on if the Niners offense improves on gaining more yards, first downs, and TD's over field goals. CLEARLY the niners saw that the chance of repeating such a favorable turn over ratio, and stout defense is impossible. The offense needed to imrpove, they needed speed on the outside, a deep threat, a back who can line up like a WR (see sproles and woodhead).

The niners also have declared on defense they believe that getting to the passer is the way to go, speed and OLB's is the key rather than relying on CB's and DB's to cover for 4-5 seconds so you get coverage sacks.

If the Niners wanted to get a good draft grade, they could have traded their 1 and 2 to move up to get De Castro or stay put and got guard at 1st round pick. This drat also shows that Baalke and company have thrown out BPA drafting, this was drafting for what direction the team wants to move in the future.

If we take a step back and it looks like Chilo is back out there it will be a failure. Nothing works if Alex is on his back and that starts upfront. The FA additions on O will be a bigger factor scoring IMO. Not a knock on Jenkins but I hope Moss really shows up because he could be dangerous. Not getting DeCastro, passing on Konz, Glenn, Jones etc is the biggest risk IMO. If the position is "fixed" then the draft goes up another grade for me. If we are back drafting more OL next year we have a problem.

I agree with you, for once. Lol. Guard was the closest thing we had to a real need and we barely addressed it in the 4th. They must feel really confident in Kilgore's development.

I'm not as high on Moss as you are though. I don't see how he can be any better than he was with 3 teams in 2010 after taking an entire year off from football.(Even if he kept working out, that's a lot of time away from the game). Since there is no risk for the 9ers with Moss having no guaranteed money, I see them cutting him as soon as any rookie is even close to being better than him because it's always better to give rookies more playing time so they can develop faster. Moss also has no value on special teams so he won't even stick around because of that.

If Moss runs a 4.4, he can be just as effective as Vernon Davis.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
If Moss runs a 4.4, he can be just as effective as Vernon Davis.

Because running a 4.4 is the only thing a player needs to be successful right?, that's why he did SO WELL in 2010, and I'm sure a year off from football only made him even better.

(I hope you can detect sarcasm)
[ Edited by mike on May 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone