There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What grade would you give the 49ers for the 2012 Draft?

What grade would you give the 49ers for the 2012 Draft?

Originally posted by Olejohnnyboy:
Before I give a grade, can somebody tell me how James is different than Hunter? Physically, they appear to be clones.

Yeah, the L. James pick had me scratching my head too. I really like Hunter, but L. James seems very similar. Can either one of them be an every down back to replace Gore? I don't know. But we are still in the process of acquiring the personnel to implement a new offense. Perhaps a smaller/quicker back is what Harbaugh is looking for to replace Gore.

I know one big knock against Hunter is that he is unreliable in blitz pickup. This is a big reason why we extended Gore (he is excellent picking up the blitz). Perhaps they feel L. James is better in that department and will be a better option to be our feature back after Gore.
I swore I wouldn't look at any "grades"...they are so meaningless at this point. But, I'd say Baalke did well...again. I know some were expecting some bigger names, but realistically, we didn't need that as much as depth, which TB did very well. I think many underestimate the value of Jenkins and James...they both bring much-needed speed and explosiveness that was clearly missing from the offense. I saw some national analysts saying we have too many RB's...well, not if you're Harbaugh. Really, only 4 count...Gore, Hunter, Jacobs and James. Dixon won't make the team and Cartwright is a ST guy. Just shows how much ignorance there is about our team and reinforces what I call the East Coast bias. If it were the Giants, Eagles or another team drafting James, they'd hail it as a good thing. Anyway, to make a long story short, I've give Baalke at least a solid B.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I swore I wouldn't look at any "grades"...they are so meaningless at this point. But, I'd say Baalke did well...again. I know some were expecting some bigger names, but realistically, we didn't need that as much as depth, which TB did very well. I think many underestimate the value of Jenkins and James...they both bring much-needed speed and explosiveness that was clearly missing from the offense. I saw some national analysts saying we have too many RB's...well, not if you're Harbaugh. Really, only 4 count...Gore, Hunter, Jacobs and James. Dixon won't make the team and Cartwright is a ST guy. Just shows how much ignorance there is about our team and reinforces what I call the East Coast bias. If it were the Giants, Eagles or another team drafting James, they'd hail it as a good thing. Anyway, to make a long story short, I've give Baalke at least a solid B.

Its not East Coast bias, look at the situation on paper. Gore is a great back, we drafted Hunter pretty early and he looked good, Jacobs has the prototypical goal line back size...that's 3 guys who fit together on paper. Now on day 2 you add another RB when the stable looks full....it is a bit of a head scratcher and people are wondering who gets cut, Jacobs, Dixon, or Rock, or how many? It was a surprising move and I cant imagine many had us going RB in the 2nd.
we did better than the raiders!! A+++
I would say B+ for the first two picks and for solid backups. The extra draft picks would push it to an A.

I think that the key to this draft is "competition". All of the WRs and all of th RBs and all of the linemen will create some solid players for the season and for the practice squad.

A key point that does not seem to have been addressed much is how much confidence Baalke had in the backups for the DL. Dobbs, Tukuafu, Williams, and RJF were solid enough that Baalke did not go looking for any more. However he did find a couple of UDFAs to stock the practice squad with. He did pick up 2 LBs for depth but no DL. So that is pretty good testimony.

Another place Baalke did not draft for is CB. He did pick up a CB in the UDFA group so that seems to be solid for Baalke for this year. Safety he put some work into that are. So good draft and good outlook.
Jacobs could possibly not make the team.

Gore could go down at any moment.

Dixon has his issues. He may not make the team.

Hunter looks solid, but can he carry a full load.

James does different things than anyone of those guys. He adds a lot of speed, and is a gamebreaker. In no way are we adding someone who won't help us. It's good to have depth especially with our running attack.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I said B, some rounds I would've chose different position wise, and although I do like the Jenkins, I mean I'm warming up to the pick, I feel we needed a redzone target.
lol, what does jamie dukes know about drafting and handing out draft grades?
We do not know what the philosphy for offense will be in 2012. So most of us where assuming multiple TE sets like the Patriots and the Stanford Cardinal. Harbaugh obviously wants to go away from 2 TE sets and have multiple Wr sets making the defense defend the perimeter, opening up the middle.

They want explosive yards, not 3 yards and a cloud of dirt. We did not know this, thus my philosphy going into the draft was different. After the draft it was crystal clear the following.

1. they are aware Gore is on his last legs, and need another explosive RB.
2. WR was the weakes position. The WR production in the NFC championship game was an embarassment. Alex Working on his mechanis, additions of FA, UDFA's and a number one pick shows that the FO knows the WR needed upgrading.
3. They do not value guards as much as the zone poster do. If they did they would have traded up for De Castro or drafted on in the first 3 rounds.
4. They put on a smile and say they love Kyle Williams, I guarantee you this, he will not be on the roster the first game of the season.