There are 152 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kiper and Gruden get into it over Russell Wilson while Russell Wilson WATCHES

• mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Wilson throws great from the pocket and mostly stays in the pocket. Obviously you haven't watched him play.

I forgot college ball and NFL are the same thing.

I haven't watched him that much but from what I've seen it seems like when he stays in the pocket it's with a 6-8 step drop(I counted) so that he can get a view downfield. He does still run like a chicken with its head cut off pretty often too. The plays I've seen where he stays in the pocket he either doesn't find anyone and scrambles for a run(which happens to be a highlight real run in college) or for some reason the opposing defense isn't sending any pressure and he eventually finds someone deep.

In the NFL you just need to send pressure up the middle,forcing him out and then have Aldon Smith coming around the edge ready for him. If he thinks he can scramble and run when he has Patrick Willis chasing him down, goodluck...

He's troy smith with a stronger arm. If seattle starts him in his first year his chances plummet even further because of the beating he'll take, Seattle fans might be thinking he's the next Vick but he's more likely to be the next Seneca Wallace, another short career backup they drafted.
Originally posted by mike:
Wilson throws great from the pocket and mostly stays in the pocket. Obviously you haven't watched him play.

I forgot college ball and NFL are the same thing.

I haven't watched him that much but from what I've seen it seems like when he stays in the pocket it's with a 6-8 step drop(I counted) so that he can get a view downfield. He does still run like a chicken with its head cut off pretty often too. The plays I've seen where he stays in the pocket he either doesn't find anyone and scrambles for a run(which happens to be a highlight real run in college) or for some reason the opposing defense isn't sending any pressure and he eventually finds someone deep.

In the NFL you just need to send pressure up the middle,forcing him out and then have Aldon Smith coming around the edge ready for him. If he thinks he can scramble and run when he has Patrick Willis chasing him down, goodluck...

He's troy smith with a stronger arm. If seattle starts him in his first year his chances plummet even further because of the beating he'll take, Seattle fans might be thinking he's the next Vick but he's more likely to be the next Seneca Wallace, another short career backup they drafted.

The Troy Smith argument is completely false. Stronger arm, much more accurate, way better decision maker, better athlete, more of a leader, smarter, team leader. Yeah except for those things he's like Troy Smith...

He's completely awesome and accurate from the pocket. Staying in there without rolling out. You should really watch college football sometimes....

I have no idea if it will work in the NFL or not for him. But I can tell you he is 10 times the prospect coming in Troy Smith was. TS was on a good team and from that elite program with a reputation. He was surrounded by talent in college better than the other teams. Russell Wilson IS THE REASON his teams are good. That's a big difference.
one thing against him is that he had one of the best college o lines last year (and played in an confrence known for its offense not defense)

he now comes and will have to play nfl caliber teams with a pretty porous o line
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
one thing against him is that he had one of the best college o lines last year (and played in an confrence known for its offense not defense)

he now comes and will have to play nfl caliber teams with a pretty porous o line

lol what?
Originally posted by TheRambler:

lol what?

They got pretty good D in the Big 10. It's not that bad.
lol what?

Big 10 is known for explosive offense not many teams have that good D there

i mean other than nebraska what other team is good there

not saying they have pathetic D but its not good
lol what?

Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, and Wisconsin have some pretty good defenses. Not necessarily great. But not that bad either.
lol what?

Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, and Wisconsin have some pretty good defenses. Not necessarily great. But not that bad either.

are you kidding me?
  • Ether
  • Veteran
lol what?

If you're talking currently, you might be right. But I think traditionally, the conference is more known for their defense. Penn State: "Linebacker U." Ohio State, Wisconsin, (Nebraska -- they just moved there but still, their history is the "blackshirts"), and even to a point Iowa (D-Line factory) all had feared defenses over feared offenses.

Now, with Michigan, Ohio State and even Nebraska opening up their offense with the spread it's understandable but I still call the Big 10 a defensive conference.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
lol what?

are you kidding me?

Not this year for them. But they have had some good defenses over time. That's my point.