There are 339 users in the forums

Ron Zook Illinios Head coach

Hey y'all just wanted to let you know KnBR is doing work on reports on Jenkins right now and they'll interview Zook at 8:30 to get some inside info on him.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
which knbr? 680?
Kate Scott ‏ @katetscott
In case you missed it earlier on @KNBR, here's former Illinois head coach, Ron Zook, on new 49er @Ajjenkins8: http://www.knbr.com/portals/3/podcasts/murphmac/042712ronzook.mp3
Some of the things Zook said......

Zook had him rated as the 3rd best WR in the draft.

He also was an academic all american.

Jenkins had offers to Florida but he took Illinois instead, Jenkins is from Florida.

Zook said he has great big hands and the ability to run after the catch. He took 2 balls to the house on KR's so that is fast.

He also said, Jenkins doesn't say a whole lot, he just goes to work and works hard. Sounds like a Baalke / Harbaugh guy.

In his senior year he broke his jaw and his wrist so the guy can get bigger. WAY TO GO BAALKE ON THE STEALTH MODE. That tells me this kid is supertough to put up 90 catches for 1200 yards and he wasn't 100%. That is huge. It tells you a lot about the player that he played through injuries.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:

Jenkins had offers to Florida but he took Illinois instead, Jenkins is from Florida.

Zook said he has great big hands and the ability to run after the catch. He took 2 balls to the house on KR's so that is fast.

He also said, Jenkins doesn't say a whole lot, he just goes to work and works hard. Sounds like a Baalke / Harbaugh guy.

In his senior year he broke his jaw and his wrist so the guy can get bigger. WAY TO GO BAALKE ON THE STEALTH MODE. That tells me this kid is supertough to put up 90 catches for 1200 yards and he wasn't 100%. That is huge. It tells you a lot about the player that he played through injuries.

I'm not an NFL or NCAA weight training and conditioning coach but... it seems like if he wanted to get bigger, breaking his jaw and his wrist was not the way to go about it.
Thanks for the insights about our New # 1 Pick

Smart, fast and tough who has good hands - WOW
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:

I'm not an NFL or NCAA weight training and conditioning coach but... it seems like if he wanted to get bigger, breaking his jaw and his wrist was not the way to go about it.

Might want to re-write that sentence.
so basically....... we drafted what Ginn would be if he could catch the F(**%&^*())*$#@#$$ ball.

can't complain.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
so basically....... we drafted what Ginn would be if he could catch the F(**%&^*())*$#@#$$ ball.

can't complain.

Pretty much. so when we let Ginn go in 2013 we'll have a nice replacement.

I don't think you read that right. The broken jaw hindered his growth in his senior year, so he still has more to grow, i.e. if he didn't break his jaw he'd be bigger and stronger.

I thought it was moreso that his wrist prevented him from lifting much?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:

I don't think you read that right. The broken jaw hindered his growth in his senior year, so he still has more to grow, i.e. if he didn't break his jaw he'd be bigger and stronger.

Is this point about his physical growth?

A broken jaw means he could not eat. No food; no growth.

A broken wrist means less weight lifting. Less weight lifting; less strength.

I guess it makes sense, but dang at first glance it sure sounds strange.
Share 49ersWebzone