There are 168 users in the forums

Draft a second WR?

Member Milestone: This is post number 1,500 for blm7754.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Erm... why?

Because Ginn is a terrible receiver and Moss is probably too old and lazy to make a difference for us. Williams showed some promise as a WR last year, but why not bump up the competition with another guy?
dam how many wr's do folks want on the team
Overkill. The only way I see another true WR being picked up (not a TE) is if the value far surpasses what ever else is available at the time.
Originally posted by lamontb:

LOL I hear you. It would be stupid to grab another WR before the 5th or 6th anyway.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by lamontb:

LOL I hear you. It would be stupid to grab another WR before the 5th or 6th anyway.

The Niners were what, 2-11 on third down conversion in the NFC championship game. Kyle Williams was the nail in the coffin, but that was the reason they lost.
Originally posted by Butter:
The Niners were what, 2-11 on third down conversion in the NFC championship game. Kyle Williams was the nail in the coffin, but that was the reason they lost.

Yeah, guess what, drafting players who won't play is dumb. They have Crabtree and Manningham for at least another 2 years, now Jenkins, Kyle Williams, Ginn, Moss and potentially a UDFA guy....it makes no sense to go for another WR, there's only so many guys you'll be able to get out on the field, especially considering that this team ran over 50% of its offense out the 2-TE set and that has been a constant with Harbaugh, even at Stanford.
Originally posted by Butter:
They do have a lot of bodies in their WR core, but I don't know if I'd say they are set at that position. Manningham, Ginn, Williams, Jenkins, they're all in that 6 foot or less range. That's fine when they are outside the 20s, but does that mean Akers leads the offense again this year? I have serious doubts that Moss will make this team, and even if he does, he wont last past this year.

Maybe the answer is to bring in a big, tall UDFA. I just think they passed on one of their biggest needs not getting a big redzone target.

Height doesn't matter if you're wide open

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yeah, guess what, drafting players who won't play is dumb. They have Crabtree and Manningham for at least another 2 years, now Jenkins, Kyle Williams, Ginn, Moss and potentially a UDFA guy....it makes no sense to go for another WR, there's only so many guys you'll be able to get out on the field, especially considering that this team ran over 50% of its offense out the 2-TE set and that has been a constant with Harbaugh, even at Stanford.

So you are happy with Crabtree and Manningham?

I guess we have gotten so used to having such crap at WR for so long that this seems good. Weren't you jealous of the Cards when the had Fitz and Boldin? Or the Colts when they had Harrison and Wayne? How do you think those teams got such great WRs? THEY DRAFTED THEM!

Guess what.. not drafting guys to help the weakest area of the team is dumb.
Share 49ersWebzone