There are 175 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I changed my mind on drafting OL in round 1 as DeCastro was falling.

Originally posted by oldninerdude:
I thought the team would try to add a playmaker, and I was hoping it would be Fleener, who's combination of size and speed looked like a great threat to me. I was surprized, at first, at the selection of Jenkins.

Despite all the hype on this board about him, I wasn't sold on DeCastro after his performance at the combine. RG is not a "skill" position, but more of one that requires certain minimums of physical strength and speed to go with the techniques. He was ok, but didn't impress with his showing at the combine.

It will be interesting to see how DeCastro and Fleener do in the future. I still believe that Fleener might have been a great pick at #30. He's got size and great speed, and could even play some WR. Him and VD and Walker could have posed some real headaches for opposing defenses. IMHO.

PS: At least I was right about the team adding playmakers.

All of this.. word for word.. goes for me too.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I thought the team would try to add a playmaker, and I was hoping it would be Fleener, who's combination of size and speed looked like a great threat to me. I was surprized, at first, at the selection of Jenkins.

Despite all the hype on this board about him, I wasn't sold on DeCastro after his performance at the combine. RG is not a "skill" position, but more of one that requires certain minimums of physical strength and speed to go with the techniques. He was ok, but didn't impress with his showing at the combine.

It will be interesting to see how DeCastro and Fleener do in the future. I still believe that Fleener might have been a great pick at #30. He's got size and great speed, and could even play some WR. Him and VD and Walker could have posed some real headaches for opposing defenses. IMHO.

I sure thought it was gonna be Stephen Hill or Fleener for sure, so I was off too.
Originally posted by tohara3:
I sure thought it was gonna be Stephen Hill or Fleener for sure, so I was off too.

Yep. Still a bit sad by passing on either for AJJ, but all we can do now is hope for the best.
i was never big on stephen hill. i prefer aj

old x 2? two old?

old x 2? two old?

Nah. As it has been explained to me well after the created username, I guess I'm a fake-elder.
^^ I just figured Harbaugh had the inside on the guy. If we passed, there was greater value to be had elsewhere.

A different player on the same kind of note... Fleener hasn't been world shaking this offseason either. Good blocker but needs work as a receiver.

Those kind of reports remind of VD....not to say he will or won't be...but that it might be a few years before he gets there.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Aug 8, 2012 at 10:12 AM ]
Nah. As it has been explained to me well after the created username, I guess I'm a fake-elder.
I understand--I'm an "old dude" myself, which could be like 18 or 19. Or maybe 20.
I understand--I'm an "old dude" myself, which could be like 18 or 19. Or maybe 20.

Geritol gents?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Geritol gents?
No thanks. I don't do drugs.

Geritol gents?

LOL! Just wait! It takes me longer every morning to take my pills than to eat breakfast...come to think of it...it is my breakfast!
Not grabbing Stephan Hill is the pick I am regretting. Had such a draft crush on him.
Originally posted by 9erred:
According to the Beaver County Times, Steelers rookie RG David DeCastro "hasn't exactly been a camp sensation."

DeCastro has yet to unseat incumbent Ramon Foster, and admitted to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger he's struggling with the physical aspect of the NFL game. The Steelers didn't take the rare step of using a first-round pick on a guard to have him sit on the sideline, but it sounds like DeCastro is going to need every preseason rep he can get in preparation for Week 1.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football/

Ouch! The draft is such a crap shoot that it's always risky to pay a lot to move up...glad Baalke is in charge of that and not the zone! LOL!

According to the Beaver County Times, Steelers rookie RG David DeCastro "hasn't exactly been a camp sensation."

DeCastro has yet to unseat incumbent Ramon Foster, and admitted to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger he's struggling with the physical aspect of the NFL game. The Steelers didn't take the rare step of using a first-round pick on a guard to have him sit on the sideline, but it sounds like DeCastro is going to need every preseason rep he can get in preparation for Week 1.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football/

Ouch! The draft is such a crap shoot that it's always risky to pay a lot to move up...glad Baalke is in charge of that and not the zone! LOL!

So from one rotoworld article before any regular season games you are predicting

1. DeCastro was overhyped and was not a good draft pick in round 1.
2. AJ Jenkins was underhyped and was a good draft pick in round 1.

I still stand by when a head coach needs to come to a draft picks side and support the pick by the GM, that is not a good thing.

Agreed, he's all got speed to take the top off a defense. I trust blaake, when we trade up for A.Davis the board went crazy thinking he was nuts, well he proved he had wallnuts because he than drafts the greatest guard since larry allen in M.L. So i trust trent now that he has a great eye for talent, an he's willing to take the player he thinks has the talent, just needs to be coached up, and jim can do that for sure...
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Agreed, he's all got speed to take the top off a defense. I trust blaake, when we trade up for A.Davis the board went crazy thinking he was nuts, well he proved he had wallnuts because he than drafts the greatest guard since larry allen in M.L. So i trust trent now that he has a great eye for talent, an he's willing to take the player he thinks has the talent, just needs to be coached up, and jim can do that for sure...

Mike iupati

Geritol gents?

LOL! Just wait! It takes me longer every morning to take my pills than to eat breakfast...come to think of it...it is my breakfast!
lol. A coffee an a cup a cigarettes? Breakfast of champions.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home