49ers vs. Commanders Tickets Available! →

There are 714 users in the forums

OnTheClock's Big 253 Final Board

Browse 49ers books and videos
The Alshon Pick is surprising.

You like Randall over Crick with the #3 pick?

If Greg Childs is there at 125, I hope we don't take a TE over him..even if we've already taken a WR.

Still, I'm excited to see how your board as a whole does.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
The Alshon Pick is surprising.

You like Randall over Crick with the #3 pick?

If Greg Childs is there at 125, I hope we don't take a TE over him..even if we've already taken a WR.

Still, I'm excited to see how your board as a whole does.

I should've specified that outside the first, I am not considering the players "mocked" to the 49ers, but more just suggested targets. I had copied/pasted the old disclaimers but forgot to change it. I have edited the OP to reflect that to avoid confusion.

As you may also now notice, if you hadn't earlier, I also made changes to the 3rd pick as soon as the trade was announced before the draft officially started.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 26, 2012 at 5:11 PM ]
AJ Jenkins 83rd LOL
double post.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
AJ Jenkins 83rd LOL

I thought he would go in the 2nd or 3rd, but wow. No one in the entire draft world, MD included, ever saw this one coming. A big mistake by Baalke in my opinion, but they must have placed ASTRONOMICAL "future value" on him, because Jenkins current value to me is no better than the 3rd.

As MD has said, Baalke's long-term approach is something he is definitely not a fan of, and depending on the situation -- I can agree to an extent, but it really does depend. I don't know their exact formula, but I can tell you I'm very unhappy with the pick. I feel like the current draft philosophy and strategy will lead to a LOT of picks like this of players going higher than expected.

Frankly though, when I watched Jenkins, I saw a mid-round guy who I got the same feeling about that I had about Larry English -- that he was a mid-round guy who was going to get drafted too early. I pray that unlike the warnings I gave about English that came true, hopefully I'm wrong about Jenkins instead.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
AJ Jenkins 83rd LOL

I thought he would go in the 2nd or 3rd, but wow. No one in the entire draft world, MD included, ever saw this one coming. A big mistake by Baalke in my opinion, but they must have placed ASTRONOMICAL "future value" on him, because Jenkins current value to me is no better than the 3rd.

As MD has said, Baalke's long-term approach is something he is definitely not a fan of, and depending on the situation -- I can agree to an extent, but it really does depend. I don't know their exact formula, but I can tell you I'm very unhappy with the pick. I feel like the current draft philosophy and strategy will lead to a LOT of picks like this of players going higher than expected.

Frankly though, when I watched Jenkins, I saw a mid-round guy who I got the same feeling about that I had about Larry English -- that he was a mid-round guy who was going to get drafted too early. I pray that unlike the warnings I gave about English that came true, hopefully I'm wrong about Jenkins instead.

Sorry, but that part is funny. I respect MD quite a but the statement makes it sound like MD is the world's foremost authority on the draft. There was a team outside the niners (presumably StL) that had Jenkins rated over Floyd. I was shocked too, but I wouldn't be surprised if in NFL circles this was not so shocking. After all, if Mike Wallace was drafted in the top 10 everyone would loose their mind, but he proved to be worth it. Time tells
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
AJ Jenkins 83rd LOL

I thought he would go in the 2nd or 3rd, but wow. No one in the entire draft world, MD included, ever saw this one coming. A big mistake by Baalke in my opinion, but they must have placed ASTRONOMICAL "future value" on him, because Jenkins current value to me is no better than the 3rd.

As MD has said, Baalke's long-term approach is something he is definitely not a fan of, and depending on the situation -- I can agree to an extent, but it really does depend. I don't know their exact formula, but I can tell you I'm very unhappy with the pick. I feel like the current draft philosophy and strategy will lead to a LOT of picks like this of players going higher than expected.

Frankly though, when I watched Jenkins, I saw a mid-round guy who I got the same feeling about that I had about Larry English -- that he was a mid-round guy who was going to get drafted too early. I pray that unlike the warnings I gave about English that came true, hopefully I'm wrong about Jenkins instead.

Sorry, but that part is funny. I respect MD quite a but the statement makes it sound like MD is the world's foremost authority on the draft. There was a team outside the niners (presumably StL) that had Jenkins rated over Floyd. I was shocked too, but I wouldn't be surprised if in NFL circles this was not so shocking. After all, if Mike Wallace was drafted in the top 10 everyone would loose their mind, but he proved to be worth it. Time tells
this
[ Edited by Godsleftsock on Apr 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM ]
yeah just shows no one really knows, Decastro fell 15 spots or so, Glenn still on the board, Fleeners, Hill, Konz. Surely all those GMs can't be clueless ?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
AJ Jenkins 83rd LOL

I thought he would go in the 2nd or 3rd, but wow. No one in the entire draft world, MD included, ever saw this one coming. A big mistake by Baalke in my opinion, but they must have placed ASTRONOMICAL "future value" on him, because Jenkins current value to me is no better than the 3rd.

As MD has said, Baalke's long-term approach is something he is definitely not a fan of, and depending on the situation -- I can agree to an extent, but it really does depend. I don't know their exact formula, but I can tell you I'm very unhappy with the pick. I feel like the current draft philosophy and strategy will lead to a LOT of picks like this of players going higher than expected.

Frankly though, when I watched Jenkins, I saw a mid-round guy who I got the same feeling about that I had about Larry English -- that he was a mid-round guy who was going to get drafted too early. I pray that unlike the warnings I gave about English that came true, hopefully I'm wrong about Jenkins instead.

I respect the work that you and MD put on these boards. However, you guys dont see anywhere near the tape that the NFL execs do. Nor are you able to speak to the player, see the private workouts, be with them at the combines, or talk to people that know them. You see a couple of games and go by where they are ranked on the internet boards. Baalke has done a great job so far and I have to trust his judgement. As far as MD's criticism of Baalke and his long term approach.. well all I can do is laugh at that. If the Niners dont pick a player that he wants ( JJ Watts) then he becomes a harsh critic even if the player they took (Aldon Smith) becomes a star.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I respect the work that you and MD put on these boards. However, you guys dont see anywhere near the tape that the NFL execs do. Nor are you able to speak to the player, see the private workouts, be with them at the combines, or talk to people that know them. You see a couple of games and go by where they are ranked on the internet boards. Baalke has done a great job so far and I have to trust his judgement. As far as MD's criticism of Baalke and his long term approach.. well all I can do is laugh at that. If the Niners dont pick a player that he wants ( JJ Watts) then he becomes a harsh critic even if the player they took (Aldon Smith) becomes a star.

This X1000
Let's be fair here. My criticism of the Smith pick was not Smith himself. OTC and I discussed that Smith was the highest graded OLB on my board at the time of the 49ers pick. The criticism is that there were better players on the board. Smith played really well in 2011 and he may end up better than Watt. It is all about selecting the best player on the board. In my view, there were plenty other better players available at 30 than Jenkins, even though I had him 37th best overall on my board.

The future will show that the team missed a great opportunity for a more impactful player in Konz and Glenn, and really missed on the chance to go up and grab DeCastro before the Steelers, texans and Bengaks at 27 were on the clock.

Not good draft strategy. Sorry.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Let's be fair here. My criticism of the Smith pick was not Smith himself. OTC and I discussed that Smith was the highest graded OLB on my board at the time of the 49ers pick. The criticism is that there were better players on the board. Smith played really well in 2011 and he may end up better than Watt. It is all about selecting the best player on the board. In my view, there were plenty other better players available at 30 than Jenkins, even though I had him 37th best overall on my board.

The future will show that the team missed a great opportunity for a more impactful player in Konz and Glenn, and really missed on the chance to go up and grab DeCastro before the Steelers, texans and Bengaks at 27 were on the clock.

Not good draft strategy. Sorry.

There were better players on YOUR board perhaps but not on the Niners board. Watts was very highly rated but the Niners had Smith higher and it was justified based on the impact he made in their pass rush. Obviously teams did not value Konz and Glenn like you did. The Ravens need a Center badly yet they passed on Konz.

The thing I do like about Baalke is that he makes decisions based on who HE thinks is best for the organization. Not who Mel Kiper thinks. Not who Mike Mayock thinks. Not who guys on the Webzone think. Jenkins was the guy he wanted and if he thought that the Rams were going to take him then he did the right thing to pull the trigger.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
There were better players on YOUR board perhaps but not on the Niners board. Watts was very highly rated but the Niners had Smith higher and it was justified based on the impact he made in their pass rush. Obviously teams did not value Konz and Glenn like you did. The Ravens need a Center badly yet they passed on Konz.

The thing I do like about Baalke is that he makes decisions based on who HE thinks is best for the organization. Not who Mel Kiper thinks. Not who Mike Mayock thinks. Not who guys on the Webzone think. Jenkins was the guy he wanted and if he thought that the Rams were going to take him then he did the right thing to pull the trigger.

Baalke has every right to make any decision he wants, and every analyst has every right to praise or critique it. As for the Ravens, they traded down from 29, and they re-signed Matt Birk to another offseason contract for 3 years, so they are set at center for at least a couple more years.

One note: It is JJ Watt, singular, no s on the end.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
There were better players on YOUR board perhaps but not on the Niners board. Watts was very highly rated but the Niners had Smith higher and it was justified based on the impact he made in their pass rush. Obviously teams did not value Konz and Glenn like you did. The Ravens need a Center badly yet they passed on Konz.

The thing I do like about Baalke is that he makes decisions based on who HE thinks is best for the organization. Not who Mel Kiper thinks. Not who Mike Mayock thinks. Not who guys on the Webzone think. Jenkins was the guy he wanted and if he thought that the Rams were going to take him then he did the right thing to pull the trigger.

Baalke has every right to make any decision he wants, and every analyst has every right to praise or critique it. As for the Ravens, they traded down from 29, and they re-signed Matt Birk to another offseason contract for 3 years, so they are set at center for at least a couple more years.

One note: It is JJ Watt, singular, no s on the end.

Courtney Upshaw is there if Baltimore is really looking for a LB....
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone