There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If we go OG in the first....

Today is the only day it will matter what pick we used on a guard. Its about the player after that. Nobody will care if we took a guard in the 1st if the line plays well.

The idea we shouldn't spend a high pick on a guard because of where the other guys were drafted is ridiculous imo. At most, you could argue that indicates we've been ignoring other needs to build an OL, but given RG is the only position on the roster without a starter, that's a pretty lame argument.
I think we likely should go RG. What I think is that the play needs to mirror the places we made those choices. Smith got sacked more this year than any other year. If we go RG our line better be set, better be one of the best in the league. That is the only way we can justify that sort of investment. Had we spent that many high picks on any other position would you not expect it to be a position of great strength, one of the best groups in the league?
Outside of this dude being Samoan, why in the world is everyone so high on him? He played in a scrub division, so what makes everyone think he can dominate? Iupati on the other hand destroyed pretty decent competition and blew up the combine. Mayock thought he was the best Olineman in the draft.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
If we do take another guard I want someone that can play multiple positions. G/C or G/T

Reason being we're not going to be able to keep every long term and you can't throw 1st rounder after 1st rounder after 1st rounder on the line.

Extending Davis and Iupati is going to be a b****.

Why not? Some may argue that it is the most important area to focus on in a offense driven league. Having a surplus of good Olinemen is nothing but good. Allows for trades, depth, and healthy rb's and qb's.

Just saying....I'd rather throw 1st's at the Oline than say QB or WR...
[ Edited by WINiner on Apr 26, 2012 at 4:24 PM ]
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by English:
I was against another 1st rounder on the line, although I believe that two great lines make an unbeatable team. However, it does seem to me right now to be one of the few areas that need a starter, such as you would expect in the first round.

Game is won in the trenches unless you get a lucky break. A good OL makes everyone on offense look better. As good as Alex was last season, imagine what he'd have looked like if he had little to no pressure.

ANY QB will look great with little to no pressure. However, with all those high draft picks on the line, they still receive 100% of the blame for Alex Smith not being a better QB (OK, maybe 75%, the other 25% gets blamed on the WRs). Point being we have invested heavily in the O-Line, but they still can't hold off defenders for 15 seconds until Alex is comfortable making a throw each play so it's not good enough. Drafting yet another 1st round O-lineman likely will not change that.
Listen, Alex gets plenty of the blame as well. However, he was sacked last year more than ever. Yes, Alex does hold the ball too long but we also had troubles running the ball, especially at the start of the year. I'm hoping the struggles in pass and run protection were products of a new system. However, our line should play better than it has, given the projected talent levels of those individuals. You spend enough high picks at a position you expect results. No matter what.
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Listen, Alex gets plenty of the blame as well. However, he was sacked last year more than ever. Yes, Alex does hold the ball too long but we also had troubles running the ball, especially at the start of the year. I'm hoping the struggles in pass and run protection were products of a new system. However, our line should play better than it has, given the projected talent levels of those individuals. You spend enough high picks at a position you expect results. No matter what.

We also had the most sacks under 3 seconds

That being said it improved as the year went on and I think they like Kilgore
Yep. Second year in the system. Regardless of if we go OG I'd like to have a top 10 line next year. The talent is there.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Outside of this dude being Samoan, why in the world is everyone so high on him? He played in a scrub division, so what makes everyone think he can dominate? Iupati on the other hand destroyed pretty decent competition and blew up the combine. Mayock thought he was the best Olineman in the draft.

Have you ever heard of Larry Allen by chance, he played in a scrub division as well, he turned out okay.

Talent is talent, potential is potential, just because a guy went to a small school doesn't mean he can't compete on a big level.
if the 49ers go guard at #30 and Hill, Fleener, or Wright are available i wont be happy.
dude can you guys help me out here.

amini silatolu? what is his HS? his name sounds extremely familar to me. throw in he was born in in redwood and went to delta college(stockton/tracy area) i think i know him.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
dude can you guys help me out here.

amini silatolu? what is his HS? his name sounds extremely familar to me. throw in he was born in in redwood and went to delta college(stockton/tracy area) i think i know him.

Yeah, he went to high-school in Tracy.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yeah, he went to high-school in Tracy.

holy sh*t. if he gets picked by the niners i am going to have to reach out to our mutual friends and TRY to get something.

maybe go to training camp in my HS jersey.
Originally posted by genus49:
Don't care as long as the player produces.

If the guy we draft plays at a pro bowl level for the next 10+ years then I don't care what position we draft. We just need all those first rounders to play like they are.

People get too much into this "where was he drafted" thing. Just draft a good player and it's all good.

I agree with Genus that drafting future HOF'ers is a good strategy.

Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home