LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

If we go OG in the first....

We will have invested 4 1st rounders in our current line. Will any other team have invested so much into their o-line? That is discounting pretty high picks in the past like Rachal, Baas, Smiley and Snyder. Hopefully with the drafting of Kilgore and Person it signals a change in this strategy, an ability to find quality O-linemen in the latter rounds which most teams seem to be able to do. I'm not completely opposed to Silatolu since RG is the one position we don't have shored up, just seems like our O-line should be one of the best in the league given all the high draft picks we've spent trying to solidify the position.
[ Edited by GoldenJoe on Apr 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM ]
If we go RG in the first, we better go for Quick in the 2nd.

WR or burst!

The dance of Joy Harbalke
Like I said, wouldn't mind the pick, just hope we see a decrease in the sacks against and more time for Alex to pick out his WRs.
Goodwin sucks
Yeah he was a FA pickup, Baas got paid a lot of money and was mediocre in NY for a lot more money. Are Kilgore and Person taking any snaps at C? Konz gives you some versatility along the line as well if he's chosen.
Don't care as long as the player produces.

If the guy we draft plays at a pro bowl level for the next 10+ years then I don't care what position we draft. We just need all those first rounders to play like they are.

People get too much into this "where was he drafted" thing. Just draft a good player and it's all good.
I was against another 1st rounder on the line, although I believe that two great lines make an unbeatable team. However, it does seem to me right now to be one of the few areas that need a starter, such as you would expect in the first round.
That's exactly it. You want your first and early rounders to produce, if we do go OG we'd better see one of the best O-lines in the league. What assuages my concerns are the fact that I trust this new regime to pick a good player with their early picks.
I'm not put off by us drafting a late 1st rd OL. If we're talking top 10, then that's a different story... but contract-wise, another 1st rounder at the back end of the round isn't an issue.

Originally posted by English:
I was against another 1st rounder on the line, although I believe that two great lines make an unbeatable team. However, it does seem to me right now to be one of the few areas that need a starter, such as you would expect in the first round.

Game is won in the trenches unless you get a lucky break. A good OL makes everyone on offense look better. As good as Alex was last season, imagine what he'd have looked like if he had little to no pressure.

I'm down with this guy, if he can show up at Coachella, he damn sure can show up at Candlestick on a Sunday.
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Yeah he was a FA pickup, Baas got paid a lot of money and was mediocre in NY for a lot more money. Are Kilgore and Person taking any snaps at C? Konz gives you some versatility along the line as well if he's chosen.

Meh, there's a reason Konz fell like a rock. Not too amazed by Zeitler either, he got pushed around too much for my liking, his future NFL position might actually be at center where he has worked out at for some teams.
Alex was sacked more last year than in any other season; that was with 3 of our 1st rounders and we still should have been in the SB. That is why I'm not against the pick. However, this highly talented group must begin to play better. Their second year in the system should show a lot of growth, regardless of whether we go OG. I'm all for solidifying this line but we should be a top 10 O-line this season based on talent alone. Unless our brass grossly mis-evaluated our guys it's time to justify the draft investment.
If we do take another guard I want someone that can play multiple positions. G/C or G/T

Reason being we're not going to be able to keep every long term and you can't throw 1st rounder after 1st rounder after 1st rounder on the line.

Extending Davis and Iupati is going to be a b****.
Share 49ersWebzone