There are 172 users in the forums

MadDog's Big 253 Final Board

A-ha, so you've come onto my thinking that Quinton Coples will drop!! (moral) victory!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Only down. Browns may want to get up to 30 to draft Weeden. Jets may want to use their second rounder and more compensation to jump back into late first to select best available RB.

Being at 30 is great trade down position. See what the Pats have done over the years in the similar area.

Completely agree. Another majorly understated benefit is picking in front of a team (Patriots) that is notorious for trading (and several sources confirm they intend to trade the 2nd pick). Our pick becomes more valuable as any clear BPA is at major risk of being selected the pick after ours. Teams can't just look at the team picking next's needs and say "oh, they won't take this guy because they don't need him or he doesn't fit their system, because teams won't know who the team will be that's picking. The best way to land their guy is to deal with us.
Not at 30, because I dont't see a need for a backer and the guys on the board at 30 who could play the 34 defensive front would be big reaches.
Originally posted by dhp318:
A-ha, so you've come onto my thinking that Quinton Coples will drop!! (moral) victory!

You were my source.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Completely agree. Another majorly understated benefit is picking in front of a team (Patriots) that is notorious for trading (and several sources confirm they intend to trade the 2nd pick). Our pick becomes more valuable as any clear BPA is at major risk of being selected the pick after ours. Teams can't just look at the team picking next's needs and say "oh, they won't take this guy because they don't need him or he doesn't fit their system, because teams won't know who the team will be that's picking. The best way to land their guy is to deal with us.

Correct. The best poker players attempt to manipulate the board by leaking false information.
We'll see how it goes, but like I said a while back, I have a feeling that an upset in the bid for a three-peat is in store. I feel pretty good about the majority of the middle and later rounds, but the first 45 picks absolutely drove me mad. I think I've lost hair from the stress!!! I have nowhere near been able to keep up with the news and buzz lately as much as I have in the past (been working overtime the paste two weeks) and have almost been totally disconnected for the past day and a half, so I'm not expecting a great first round.

I can only hope that my expected movements occur and the players I expect to go in the first actually do go there. I would be extremely disappointed with anything less than 25/32 first rounders. I'd consider 24/32 or less to be a personal failure for the year, at least as far as the first round.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM ]
Underestimated how early Jenkins would go, at number 52.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Underestimated how early Jenkins would go, at number 52.

MadDog, what do you think of the pick? Apparently if the 49ers didn't take him at 30, the Rams would have taken him at 33, so we probably can't call this a reach any more. But do you think it is a good pick?
I'm also curious about maddog's take on this pick. I really didn't know anything about the guy until he was picked. Although it is quite shocking to some, it appears he does have some traits I feel the 9ers need. From the reports I've read, he is a more polished WR with speed, has good route running (great combination?), and knows where to sit in zone coverages.

Last year I felt our WR's played the position "dumb". By dumb I mean they never seemed to be either open or in the right spot. Perhaps the 9ers are done with projects at WR?

Thoughts?
Jenkins was the 7th WR on my board, and I had him graded as an early-mid 2nd round grade (37th overall best player). However, the Niners really lost a golden opportunity to move up and select David DeCastro who I feel is one of the best players in the draft, a Pro Bowl type of talent. Unless DeCastro has medical issues that the team felt were a major problem down the road, they really have a player with far less talent on their roster than one that would have cost a 4th this year and next year. After NE drafted at 21 and selected Jones, I felt that the team should have made a move before the Steelers, Texans and Bengals were on the board, as they all needed interior OL help.

The Eagles really showed the Niners how to move up at the right time to get their player, waiting for Cox to slide and then pounce all over him. Now, the Seahawks and Cards may have passed on Cox, but the Eagles, after being patient, did not take a chance. The price was small and they got their man. In the same way, the price of DeCastro wold have been relatively small, but the return phenomenal. I will write more in depth about this later in the draft weekend. Lost opportunity.

To get back to Jenkins, I really like hm and saw good second round value. He will not produce much in 2012, but has the chance to be a solid number two receiver in the league. I do not see star, but a steady producer, who runs good routes, find open seams, has some wiggle to him. Very good intermediate route receiver. Once again, my grade will not reflect him as much as the value of other players who could have helped the team more.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:54 AM ]

Jenkins was the 7th WR on my board, and I had him graded as an early-mid 2nd round grade (37th overall best player). However, the Niners really lost a golden opportunity to move up and select David DeCastro who I feel is one of the best players in the draft, a Pro Bowl type of talent. Unless DeCastro has medical issues that the team felt were a major problem down the road, they really have a player with far less talent on their roster than one that would have cost a 4th this year and next year. After NE drafted at 21 and selected Jones, I felt that the team should have made a move before the Steelers, Texans and Bengals were on the board, as they all needed interior OL help.

The Eagles really showed the Niners how to move up at the right time to get their player, waiting for Cox to slide and then pounce all over him. Now, the Seahawks and Cards may have passed on Cox, but the Eagles, after being patient, did not take a chance. The price was small and they got their man. In the same way, the price of DeCastro wold have been relatively small, but the return phenomenal. I will write more in depth about this later in the draft weekend. Lost opportunity.

To get back to Jenkins, I really like hm and saw good second round value. He will not produce much in 2012, but has the chance to be a solid number two receiver in the league. I do not see star, but a steady producer, who runs good routes, find open seams, has some wiggle to him. Very good intermediate route receiver. Once again, my grade will not reflect him as much as the value of other players who could have helped the team more.

If they wanted DeCastro they would have gotten him. Baalke even said they had an oppourtunity to move up, but decided not to. Not sure what else you need to hear?
  • cools
  • Veteran
I would have thought they would move up for DeCastro also, they must really like Kilgore
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
If they wanted DeCastro they would have gotten him. Baalke even said they had an oppourtunity to move up, but decided not to. Not sure what else you need to hear?

And that is the disappointing part to me. In a few years, we will probably be talking about how DeCastro is making the future non-existent ProBowl team (I have no idea how they will honor these guys down the road), and how Jenkins is a good number two receiver. Just a lost opportunity for a player that could have really impacted our team for a decade.
Originally posted by cools:
I would have thought they would move up for DeCastro also, they must really like Kilgore

Even if you like Kilgore the team has two holes to fill long term, at RG and C.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Maybe Baalke and the scouts don't value DeCastro as high as you. You know, the REAL experts who actually watch the REAL scouting tape and practices that are not available to everyday wannabe gm's. #justsayin
Share 49ersWebzone