There are 168 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Fleener / Hill / Jenkins

One think I have noticed about Harbaugh is that he has always gone with elite type of talent/ability. Look at the Stanford team...it was loaded with athletic ability no matter which position you look at.

I think he is like Al Davis but a step above. He goes for players with at least one elite attribute but what Harbaugh knows how to do is maximize that attribute and strengthen the players weaknesses: coach em.

I think we take the most athletic player on the board and it is Hill, if he is there. Hill is from a school that has had a pattern of some top NFL players being drafted in Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas. It's no fluke these guys have produced at the next level.

Hill and Fleener come from programs that have had players excel at the next level.
All this discussions spins around what the coaches think of Daniel Kilgore. If he has shown enough in practice over the past year to convince them he is a legit starter. then Silatolu or another G will not be the pick. However, if they do pick a guard at #30, then we will know Kilgore was a flash in the pan last PS and will not be the future.

We will know the answer to that in about 12 hours.
Originally posted by dj43:
All this discussions spins around what the coaches think of Daniel Kilgore. If he has shown enough in practice over the past year to convince them he is a legit starter. then Silatolu or another G will not be the pick. However, if they do pick a guard at #30, then we will know Kilgore was a flash in the pan last PS and will not be the future.

We will know the answer to that in about 12 hours.

I'm starting to rethink my Fleener vs Hill choice. I don't think anyone can overlook the fact that Calvin Johnson and Demaryious Thomas have success in the NFL out of GA Tech. Same can be said about Stanford players into the NFL but Hill is beginning to look more and more appealing.
Reasons why not to draft a G at 30:

1.) The Niners traded UP last year to get Kilgore, so they obviously think highly of him.

2.) Kilgore, Person and Boone all have a year in the system already, which is important for the O-Line. Even first rounders tend to have trouble in their first year (e.g., see Iupati and A.Davis).

3.) Kilgore showed a mean streak last year in the Pre-Season, so that is a good sign for a guy who was a rookie, changing positions and without an off-season.

4.) Already have three first rounders on the O-Line, we shouldn't spend another, since it would be better value to get a G/C later to compete with Kilgore and co..

5.) G tends to be a position you can find later in the draft.

6.) Niners still need play-makers on offense, especially after how bad they looked last year.

Reasons to draft a G at 30:

1.) May be best value at that point in the draft.

2.) Seems risky to leave an important position like G up to a competition between a 5th rounder, 7th rounder, a guy who is more suited to T, a potential rookie or veteran.

3.) The G was a serious weakness last year.

I'm sure there are more reasons for both sides, but these are all I could think of right now. Anyway, I would prefer not to draft a G with 30, mainly because I don't trust Moss and Manningham as being The Solution to the Niners receiving problem. I would rather have a WR or a guy like Fleener who is a TE that can split out to WR.