LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

SFOUT's final mock

• sfout
  • Veteran
Pretty self explanatory for a mock, option A is what I want to happen and option B is what I think will actually happen.

What I want to happen
A - Amini Silatolu OG Midwestern State - Starting caliber Guard able to compete for playing time on day 1

What I think will happen
B - Stephen Hill WR Georgia Tech - With our new found depth at receiver Hill will see limited action but also serve as a viable insurance policy in the event that Randy Moss falls off.

What I want to happen
A - Trumaine Johnson DB Montana - A big, physical defensive back capable of playing both S and CB, while immediate contributors are not needed at either position it gives us time to evaluate Johnson and determine what position he is best for.

What I think will happen
B - Kelechi Osemele OG Iowa State - Another quality lineman that while no where near Silatolu in potential would be a dependable starter in the NFL. Able to compete on day 1.

What I want to happen
A - Robert Turbin RB Utah State - A north & south runner with tons of power and size, he's exactly what we need and can bump Dixon or Jacobs right off the roster.

What I think will happen
B - Derek Wolfe DT Cincinnati - I don't buy that we need depth at DL but at this point in the draft I would bet we pick either an RB or DL, outsiders are evaluating our quality of depth based on the round they were selected in or that they were not selected at all, something we all know is that we while it could stand for an upgrade we have a very dependable core of young backups. Wolfe represents a tremendous value if he is on the board here, he'll likely be a pro-bowl 3-4 DT in the future and would be Justin Smith's successor in SF.

What I want to happen
A - Greg Childs WR Arkansas - With the combination of size, speed and overall skill Childs is easily the most well rounded receiver at this point in the draft, were it not for the injury history he would be a day 1 or very early day 2 prospect and represents an incredible value as a starting caliber WR.

What I think will happen
B - Jordan Bernstine DB Iowa State - A somewhat raw DB that provides us a boost in the KR department, as I mentioned earlier we do not have an significant need at safety so a player like Bernstine would be able to acclimate to the NFL on his own pace.

What I want to happen
A - David Molk C Michigan - I would call Molk the second best center in the draft behind Konz and the fact that he slotted as day 3 pick either says we have no idea what the NFL teams know that caused him to stay at this range or that we should just happily accept the opportunity to draft a starting caliber center this late in the draft.

What I think will happen
B - Jarius Wright WR Arkansas - Wright would provide with another deep threat and double as a return upgrade, at this point it should be pretty clear that we are looking to bump Kendall Hunter and Kyle Williams off the KR chart, for their own respective reasons of course.

What I want to happen
A - Jeremy Jones DB Wayne State - A late round flier on an incredibly productive DB provides us with quality competition for Cox, Brock, and Holcomb as we look to field the best possible secondary

What I think will happen
B - Jason Slowey C Western Oregon - As 1 of only 2 teams interested in him the odds of us selecting him are astronomically likely, with just the Seahawks showing interest if we've decided we want him we'll likely be able to get him.

What I want to happen
A - LaVon Brazill WR Ohio - A small, deep threat, slot typer receiver with incredibly massive hands that upgrades our KR department as well. At this point this is incredible value and more then capable of providing ample competition for Kyle Williams' roster spot.

What I think will happen
B - Travaris Cadet RB/WR Appalachian State - At 6'1 210 he is basically physically identical to Crabtree and more likely to transition to WR in the NFL but could still serve as an emergency #3 or 4 RB should he be needed. Again another important upgrade at the KR area.

What do you guys think? Which would you like more? A or B? Or a mix of both? I know I didn't address OLB but I think were going to focus really heavily on UDFAs and veteran cuts to fill depth at this postion. As always Comments and criticism are welcome
[ Edited by sfout on Apr 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM ]
The only guys who I would say are first round talent at OG/C would be DeCastro, Glenn, Konz, and maybe Zeitler (but dont think so). Unless DeCastro or Glenn fall to 30 I would rather pass on any interior guys in the 1st.

Still need another OLB to add to the roster. Keep an eye out for Irvin. He has the talent to be an early 2nd rounder but his latest "legal problem" could drop him to us with a little luck. Great athlete but needs to stay out of trouble.

The RB situation is interesting. Dixon has been the weak link but offers decent ST value and is a good guy. I'm not high on Jacobs so if we get the chance to upgrade I would like a lineup of Gore-Hunter-Rookie. I would be fine with Turbin or Polk (a favorite of mine).

Childs injury has me a bit concerned. Coming off a year when every starter got hurt we need 0 injury concerns.

Really not high on any DL this year. Wouldn't surprise me if we pass on the position and go after a monster next year.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Nice work, sfout. I agree, I think Hill is going to be the pick at #30.
5th or 6th round Nevada WR Rishard Matthews 6'0 215
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
The only guys who I would say are first round talent at OG/C would be DeCastro, Glenn, Konz, and maybe Zeitler (but dont think so). Unless DeCastro or Glenn fall to 30 I would rather pass on any interior guys in the 1st.

Still need another OLB to add to the roster. Keep an eye out for Irvin. He has the talent to be an early 2nd rounder but his latest "legal problem" could drop him to us with a little luck. Great athlete but needs to stay out of trouble.

The RB situation is interesting. Dixon has been the weak link but offers decent ST value and is a good guy. I'm not high on Jacobs so if we get the chance to upgrade I would like a lineup of Gore-Hunter-Rookie. I would be fine with Turbin or Polk (a favorite of mine).

Childs injury has me a bit concerned. Coming off a year when every starter got hurt we need 0 injury concerns.

Really not high on any DL this year. Wouldn't surprise me if we pass on the position and go after a monster next year.

I think DeCastro will gone by the 15th pick, causing someone to panic and trade up or a team to reach and select Glenn before the 20th pick then baring something drastic I dont see the Ravens passing on Konz as Birk is only coming back for one year and the current backup C is UDFA Cecil Newton (Cam Newton's brother or cousin). Also losing Grubbs leaves the other G position wide open as they have 2 practice squad level players in Howard Barberi and Justin Boren as the only other Guard besides Marshall Yanda on the roster.

The Zeitler versus Silatolu argument was broken down fairly simply by one of the SF area papers. Ceiling(Silatolu) vs. Floor(Zeitler) and based on Baalke's past picks he goes by potential and not floor, I personally like Silatolu so to be reminded of that coincidence is just icing on the cake.

Yes Bruce Irvin is a possibility but he is only going to be taken if he is absolutely the only BPA. Why in God's name would we use 2 straight #1 picks on OLBs when last years selection is slated to be a 3 down player this year(move to DE on 3rd and play with Willis, Bowman, Brooks as LBs) and Brooks was just inked to a long term deal? Yes Brooks' deal was done up to basically provide an easy out for the 9ers after every year but to get another 1st round OLB would basically send the message that we will be shipping Brooks out.

If we take an olb it'll be late either Miles Burres or DJ Holt and we can likely land a similarly skilled player in UDFA or simply carry 3 OLBs and use Gooden as the emergency 4th OLB. I just dont see it as a major priority.

I agree, basically the way I see it we will take Polk or Turbin this year.

Every player has injury concerns to some extent, Childs would be the 5th or 6th wr for us, he would hardly be asked to do anything so I dont see any issue with his injury.

Basically Derek Wolfe and Jared Crick are the only DL worth drafting before round 4 if you ask me and I've been high on Wolfe since I started watching Cinncy last season.

Originally posted by mayo49:
Nice work, sfout. I agree, I think Hill is going to be the pick at #30.

thanks mang. I am not super keen on Hill but I wont deny how great of a pick he'd be and that he would do wonders for our team so I'm just facing the music lol.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DUB9IROCZ:

not high on matthews at all and I refuse to say we will draft him simply for Kaepernick. I feel like there a lot of similar if not better options on day 3 like Dwight Jones(Cant believe he fell so far), Childs of course, Junior Hemingway, Jeff Fuller and those are just the physically comprable ones, not even including players like Wylie, Hilton or Coale.
Originally posted by sfout:
I think DeCastro will gone by the 15th pick, causing someone to panic and trade up or a team to reach and select Glenn before the 20th pick then baring something drastic I dont see the Ravens passing on Konz as Birk is only coming back for one year and the current backup C is UDFA Cecil Newton (Cam Newton's brother or cousin). Also losing Grubbs leaves the other G position wide open as they have 2 practice squad level players in Howard Barberi and Justin Boren as the only other Guard besides Marshall Yanda on the roster.

The Zeitler versus Silatolu argument was broken down fairly simply by one of the SF area papers. Ceiling(Silatolu) vs. Floor(Zeitler) and based on Baalke's past picks he goes by potential and not floor, I personally like Silatolu so to be reminded of that coincidence is just icing on the cake.

Yes Bruce Irvin is a possibility but he is only going to be taken if he is absolutely the only BPA. Why in God's name would we use 2 straight #1 picks on OLBs when last years selection is slated to be a 3 down player this year(move to DE on 3rd and play with Willis, Bowman, Brooks as LBs) and Brooks was just inked to a long term deal? Yes Brooks' deal was done up to basically provide an easy out for the 9ers after every year but to get another 1st round OLB would basically send the message that we will be shipping Brooks out.

If we take an olb it'll be late either Miles Burres or DJ Holt and we can likely land a similarly skilled player in UDFA or simply carry 3 OLBs and use Gooden as the emergency 4th OLB. I just dont see it as a major priority.

I agree, basically the way I see it we will take Polk or Turbin this year.

Every player has injury concerns to some extent, Childs would be the 5th or 6th wr for us, he would hardly be asked to do anything so I dont see any issue with his injury.

Basically Derek Wolfe and Jared Crick are the only DL worth drafting before round 4 if you ask me and I've been high on Wolfe since I started watching Cinncy last season.

Irvin would be a 2nd round pick, not a 1st. And he would stay in rotation with Brooks and Smith. Also Parys has a hefty contract for a backup...if Irvin can replace him its icing on the cake.

Childs might be the 4th or 5th but is he ready to go and stay healthy without any long term effects?

We scouted Kaep and Kilgore last year so we know a lot about this guy and, presumably, Quick as well

Walsh discovered Dwight Clark when he was working out the Clemson QB in 1979, Steve Fuller :P
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Irvin would be a 2nd round pick, not a 1st. And he would stay in rotation with Brooks and Smith. Also Parys has a hefty contract for a backup...if Irvin can replace him its icing on the cake.

Childs might be the 4th or 5th but is he ready to go and stay healthy without any long term effects?

The talk is him sneaking into the 1st so for him to be around 61 would be a disappointment in my book and no matter what round if we take a OLB before round 4 and it isn't strictly BPA I would be incredibly surprised. Even if we cut Haralson in favor of Irvin they have completely different skill sets and we would lose a stout run defender and replace him with a speed rusher? That makes no sense to me as Aldon is still transitioning to run defending and we'd be weakening our team by making such a swap. Brooks played 95% of our snaps last season and Aldon and Haralson pretty much split their share, were would Irvins playing come from? Using a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even a 4th round pick on player in line to see 5% to (being generous) 25% of the snaps for next several years would be an incredible waste of a pick. I already agreed Brooks cut get axed or traded without much issue but going off the idea that he continues to play well Irvin would finish out his rookie deal having played barely 1000 snaps.
[ Edited by sfout on Apr 25, 2012 at 1:02 AM ]

not high on matthews at all and I refuse to say we will draft him simply for Kaepernick. I feel like there a lot of similar if not better options on day 3 like Dwight Jones(Cant believe he fell so far), Childs of course, Junior Hemingway, Jeff Fuller and those are just the physically comprable ones, not even including players like Wylie, Hilton or Coale.

Sorry but the 49ers should not draft this guy out of respect to #49, who became paralyzed on one side.

In his prime, #49 was a cross between Chet Brooks, Merton Hanks, and Dashon Goldson

He was tall, fast, and hit like a truck

One of my fav 49ers ever, #49

Originally posted by wysiwyg:

Sorry but the 49ers should not draft this guy out of respect to #49, who became paralyzed on one side.

In his prime, #49 was a cross between Chet Brooks, Merton Hanks, and Dashon Goldson

For all yall that don't know:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/05/20/SPGNNPU2821.DTL&ao=all

Can't find the hit on Youtube

But, here is #49 in a microcosm:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/05/20/SPGNNPU2821.DTL&ao=all

Sorry for the multiple posts, the server got frozen and I kept pressing post

Ordinarily I'd delete the dupes but Fuller was such a badass (even when Ronnie was patrolling the backfield) that having 3 pics of #49 giving it to Marino is a GOOD THING

The talk is him sneaking into the 1st so for him to be around 61 would be a disappointment in my book and no matter what round if we take a OLB before round 4 and it isn't strictly BPA I would be incredibly surprised. Even if we cut Haralson in favor of Irvin they have completely different skill sets and we would lose a stout run defender and replace him with a speed rusher? That makes no sense to me as Aldon is still transition to run defending and we'd be weakening our team by making such a swap. Brooks played 95% of our snaps last season and Aldon and Haralson pretty much split their share, were would Irvins playing would come from? Using a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even a 4th round pick on player in line to see 5% to (being generous) 25% of the snaps for next several years would be an incredible waste of pick. I already agreed Brooks cut get axed or traded without much issue but going off the idea that he continues to play well Irvin would finish out his rookie deal having played barely 1000 snaps.

He wont go in the first because he is still raw. Although the same can be said for other guys its his personal issues that could drop him. At 61 he could easily be BPA on the board, although a bit of a luxury pick he would be an asset. Granted Parys offers help in the run game he offers little in rushing the passer. If Aldon continues to improve which he should, he will take lots of snaps away from Parys. If we can limit Irvin to situational plays and bring him on slowly he could be a good 3rd option at OLB. The problem I see is that if we get an injury to either Brooks or Smith we take a major step back with Parys. We have been able to contain the run when McDonald, ICE, and Willis have gone out, no reason why we should have a major drop off if we lost Parys.

Again the ability to rotate players and keep guys fresh will be a big reason why we stay healthy and competitive down the stretch. If they can get 10lbs of muscle on Irvin, teach him better technique, and raise his football IQ his potential would go through the roof. Irvin on a 4 year deal worth $2-3 mill is better then having Parys on the last 2 years of his deal eating $5 mill. Even if we kept both for 2012, in 2013 we could drop Parys slide Irvin into the 3rd spot and draft a kid very low to be a project with upside.

Remember we brought him in....decent chance we take the kid if he is there.
Share 49ersWebzone