There are 184 users in the forums

9ersLiferInChicago's Final Mock Before the Draft

Okay, the draft is Thursday, and not a minute too soon. Now, I must say that I still think our 49ers take a WR in the first. However, I do think we could go defense in the fist also. I also don't think that Baalke will be trading up or down unless the deal is ridiculously in our favor, which could – and has – happen given the new rookie scale. So here it is:

1stStephen Hill. No change for me here. I just think the WR spot cost this team way too much in 2011 to think that Manningham and Moss could solve it. BUT, if Baalke go defense I think it will be DT/NG Dontari Poe (if he falls) or DE Andre Branch. I think DE is a strong possibility given the age of Justin Smith. Plus, the 3-4 needs a run stuffing 2-gapper. I like Soap, but behind him there's nothing in that like that.

2ndGeorge Iloka, FS, Boise St. I still think FS is a need behind Goldson, especially if he wants Ft. Knox like I think he wants. Iloka could learn for a year and start next season if Goldson decides not to sign next season. But if we don't get a WR in the 1st we get one here in Alshon Jeffery, Mohamed Sanu, or Brian Quick, in that order of availability. I think all three of those guys can come in and compete for the #2 spot. Would like Reuben Randle here but I think he'll be long gone at this point.

3rdJosh Kaddu, OLB, Oregon. This is one mean, intense and extremely physical kid. NFL LB written all over him. "Killer instinct" is attached to him. He would be a perfect for our style of defense. And I think he's gonna be a ST ace. With Haralson reaching the low-end of his career I think it's a good idea to draft a kid like Kaddu to groom. If Kaddu isn't available then we go CB Alfonzo Dennard here. I had us taking RB Robert Turbin at this spot. But I think with the addition of Jacobs I don't think we have to address this position at all in this draft.

4thChris Greenwood, CB, Albion. Don't sleep on the D-III schools (remember Pierre Garcon from Mount Union?). He ran 4.34 at Michigan's Pro day. He impressed a lot of scouts at the East-West Shrine game. He's a very teachable and coachable big physical corner who can match up better against the NFL's big WR's.Decent in man coverage, but will need to be coached up. Ton of upside. He's gonna make somebody's team. Why not ours. We can never have enough good corners. If not him then CB Chase Minnifield of Virginia.

5thJacquies Smith, DE, Missouri. With Justin Smith's age we are going to have to address this position in this draft. Missouri is turning into DE U and the 49ers can pluck another good one here.

6thAkiem Hicks, NT, Regina University, Canada. An absolute monster, 6-4 5/8, 318. I think he's a diamond in the rough. Not much American intell on him accept he has passion for the game, swallowing tackler, will have to learn to play with better leverage, and he's very raw. Really good at shedding blockers. Huge upside. If V. Fangio and Jim Tomsula can gets their hands on this kid they can mold him into a real force. Could turn into a lighter Gilbert Brown with good coaching. Sopoaga is 30. So we need to begin grooming his replacement. Again, the 3-4 needs a run stuffing 2-gapper to be successful.

7thSean Richardson, SS, Vanderbilt. One of the faster safties in the draft (4.52-40). VERY good in run support. Hard hitter. Always finds himself around the ball. Will need to learn to play better in space in the NFL. Would be a great backup to Whitner.

This addresses our needs. I doubt we trade down. But we could trade up because we just don't have many positions open. About 43 or so positions are basically locks. But if the draft went like this I think all 7 make the team. I really don't think that OG is as big a need as many think. We addressed that in last year's draft, so I have faith in JH's ability to develop Kilgore into the starter. I think Kilgore surprises many this season. You may notice this is heavy on the D side of the ball. But other than WR, which I think we address in this draftt, I really think the O roster is pretty set as well, with depth on the OL, RB, QB and soon to be WR. With a true offseason and returning coaching staff this offense is set to take major strides this season. I think our defense needs depth at many positions. Plus, with the league handcuffing the D so much depth on D is becoming massively important.

Thought?
Not too bad there
Originally posted by tohara3:
Not too bad there

Thanx
Very nice
Solid picks, but only one pick for offense?
would like an O-lineman somewhere but other than that it looks like we would have some quality depth all around
Originally posted by Juggernaut49erFan:
Solid picks, but only one pick for offense?

I really feel the depth on D needs to be sured up. Outside of WR the offense is pretty set. I think Kilgore will start. And we have Boone and Person off the bench. The RB position is set. QB, TE and FB are tight. But on D we need depth at multiple spots. I think we address that.
Love the Akiem Hicks in the 6th pick! Dude is fierce! I think Kaddu will be there in the 4th but the third isn't exactly a stretch for him. Personally, I'd like to see a gaurd drafted in the first three rounds.
Pretty sure Smith is more of a OLB then DE
Originally posted by jreff22:
Pretty sure Smith is more of a OLB then DE

He is versitile, but still a DE naturally. Thats were his skills shine best.

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I really feel the depth on D needs to be sured up. Outside of WR the offense is pretty set. I think Kilgore will start. And we have Boone and Person off the bench. The RB position is set. QB, TE and FB are tight. But on D we need depth at multiple spots. I think we address that.

Ok, I can see your point about depth, but maybe throw in an other late round OT for a bit more offensive depth and I'll be good. Otherwise nice work
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
I know you from Chicago! around these parts this is the BEST mock draft so far!
Originally posted by Juggernaut49erFan:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

Ok, I can see your point about depth, but maybe throw in an other late round OT for a bit more offensive depth and I'll be good. Otherwise nice work
I see your point. But at that point there isn't a OT or OG better than the OL depth we already have. Like I said, we already have good depth on the O-line. Alex Boone (good swing guy, could start when needed), Daniel Kilgore (probably gonna start at RG), Mike Person (still being developed, looks good for coming off the bench), and Chase Beeler (who's being groomed to take over Center at some point). Throwing in a late round OT or G will be nothing more than a camp body unless they are better than Beeler, Boone, or Person. And we have enough OL camp bodies in Derek Hall, Garret Chisolm, and Kenny Wiggins. Personally, I'm confident in JH's grooming and developmental abilities. Keep in mind that we addressed the OL - twice - in last years draft. And by all accounts those guys look great. So I think depth on the defense is much more in need of attention than depth on offense, seeing that we have good depth on the OL already.
Originally posted by DRnSFw:
I know you from Chicago! around these parts this is the BEST mock draft so far!
Why, thank you
Need a OG in the later rounds
Share 49ersWebzone