LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

What do the 9ers need to give up to draft Fleener?

Where do you imagine Fleener getting picked?

I agree, I think he will be gone before 30. Pass catching TEs are very popular in today's NFL. Everybody wants one. They create mismatches and are usually excellent targets in the red-zone. However, Fleener is not quite a Vernon Davis type of prospect (VD went at #6, but he came out with a very weak WR class).

I think Fleener will get picked between 20-25. Floyd and Blackmon are both much better pass-catching options. Kendall Wright will also probably go before Fleener. He will probably be taken after the top 3-4 WRs are off the board.
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Fleener is so overrated it is starting to get ridiculous. One of the beat writers recently stated he was the best receiver in the draft and was worth a top ten draft pick. He can't block and he is strictly a straight line speed guy. Not worth trading anything for. He is a role player at best in the NFL.

Saw a couple articles popping up on this recently - one from an unnamed "nfl scout" on the nfl draft facebook page. Giants apparently "think" he's not a strong enough blocker for them at #32. Who knows what to believe. After a year dominated by Gronkowski and Graham, TEs are going to be picked higher this year anyway.

This team needs to get better in the redzone next year. As long as they target someone who they think can improve their redzone offense, I'm happy.
A Third rounder to move up to the low 20s
  • dj43
Fleener is so overrated it is starting to get ridiculous. One of the beat writers recently stated he was the best receiver in the draft and was worth a top ten draft pick. He can't block and he is strictly a straight line speed guy. Not worth trading anything for. He is a role player at best in the NFL.

ONE writer said he is a "straight line speed guy." That is not the consensus. Far from it. Also, he CAN block, it is just that he was not called upon to do that a lot. Pro coaches will tune up his blocking if they feel he is weak there. On the 49ers, they will almost certainly keep Nate Byham as the primary blocker and he is VERY good as a blocker.

He is not a top 10 pick but he won't last past 35 either.

You know what they say about opinions...
I think he'll be there at 30.
Originally posted by dj43:
ONE writer said he is a "straight line speed guy." That is not the consensus. Far from it. Also, he CAN block, it is just that he was not called upon to do that a lot. Pro coaches will tune up his blocking if they feel he is weak there. On the 49ers, they will almost certainly keep Nate Byham as the primary blocker and he is VERY good as a blocker.

I said he was a straight line speed guy, I did not read that statement anywhere.

A tight end who has to leave the field on run downs is not going to be a very effective receiver. Tight ends become effective when the defense has to guess as to what he is going to do when on the field.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Apr 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:

The guy stole that quote from an article at Profootballtalk.com
[ Edited by nickbradley on Apr 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM ]
I said he was a straight line speed guy, I did not read that statement anywhere.

A tight end who has to leave the field on run downs is not going to be a very effective receiver.

you read it at PFT
Originally posted by nickbradley:
you read it at PFT

Uh no I didn't. Please go get yourself a life.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:12 AM ]

Originally posted by btthepunk:
If we trade up it better be for Michael Floyd.

or decastro

tradin up fleener let alone giving up an additional first is just dumb but ballke wont do that so im not worried
Vernon Davis isn't worth 2 1st rounds and a 3rd what the hell makes you think Fleener is.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Im so sick of Fleener already.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:28 AM ]
Originally posted by nickbradley:
The guy stole that quote from an article at Profootballtalk.com

Ever heard of slander? Not everyone is so dumb that can't think up a term like "straight line speed" without stealing it.

All right calm down. Any more comments like "get a life" get a warning.

Clear?
Share 49ersWebzone