There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

4ml's Only Mock

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Draft is 3 days away - and this year should be especially interesting because we are finally in a position to draft the best player available in a long time. We don't have to force any pick, and can bolster a certain position if that's how the board falls.

Mock Draft

Rd. 1 - Devon Still, DE (3-4), Penn State - Justin Smith had a Defensive MVP type season last season, but he is going to be 33 years old this season. McDonald is a damn good end on the other side, but he has had his share of injuries in the past. This is the perfect time to bring in a player who can learn from Smith and then eventually take over. Devon Still can also produce in 2012 by subbing in for Smith and/or McDonald a few times during the game. Not only he is an excellent run stopper, he can consistently collapse pocket in the passing game. It is important for us to continue to add talent to our front 7 if we want to become a truly elite defense year in and year out - like the Steelers and the Ravens.

Rd. 2 - Kelechi Osemele, G, Iowa State - A big powerful RT who is a better fit inside in NFL. Long arms, excels at run blocking and is good enough pass-blocker to start from day 1. He is a high character guy as well who was the leader of his team in college. Why spend a 1st round pick when you can get exactly what you're looking for in round 2? He moves well for his size. I would absolutely love to get him at the end of Rd. 2.

Rd. 3 - Marvin Jones, WR, California - Many of you know him pretty well since he plays for the local team. I expect him to be an excellent no. 2 WR at the next level. He possess all the skills needed to be a good starting WR at the pro-level.

Rd. 4 - (trade up) - Robert Turbin, RB, Utah State - Big, fast, and explosive - Turbin (if he can stay healthy) can turn out to be a steal at RB position in this year's draft. Yes, I know we have 4 RBs on the roster, but only Gore and Hunter are locked to be on roster come September. He can catch the ball out of the backfield as well and turn on those jets. I really really like Robert Turbin.

Rd. 5 - (traded to move up in 4th to get Turbin)

Rd. 6 - Jacquies Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri - We did pretty well the last time we drafted a DE/OLB from Missouri, so why not take a flier on the guy who played opposite of Aldon Smith? Of course, he is not as gifted or talented as Aldon, but he too hasn't peaked yet and can be turned into an 3rd down pass-rusher. He showed some flashes, so there is some potential with Jacquies.

Rd. 7 - Tashaun Gipson, CB/S, Wyoming - Played CB in college, but might be seen as a FS at the pro-level. No where close to being ready especially if he has to go through the position change, but with good size, speed, and production in college - he does posses some potential. Will contribute on special teams if he makes the roster.

Thoughts?
I'm a fan of taking a top flight DE at the top of the first.
Like picks 2,3,6 a lot 1 i am indifferent about and i don't like 4 and 7. Neiko Thorpe will be a very good FS at round 7. At 4 take and OLB and at 6 DT and at 5 take a CB.
  • cools
  • Veteran
1-Balzy first pick, could happen

2- I think the Niners want someone who can get out and block in space into the second leval
Good player, but I dont think he fits what they are looking for

3- Nice pick, Was a big fan of Jones while he was at CAL, he sould be a solid player in the NFL
I like some of those other 3rd rnd guys too, Criner, Childs, Matthews, seems like a good round to grab the wideout

4- Not a fan of drafting a RB, I think Gore, Hunter, Jabcobs and Miller are a solid combo, with Cartwright as an emergency RB/FB
I cant see the Niners useing another roster spot for this position, Turbin does look good, but I think the Niners work on finding the next #1 in 2013

6- I also want J.Smith, but I have us taking him in the 5th, though I wouldnt be surprised if the Niners grab a OLB earlier like trading up a bit to get Curry in the 2nd

7- Not familiar with this guy, but we do need a young safety, preferably a ball hawk/coverage type
I think C.Nelms has a good chance to take that spot,
[ Edited by cools on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:23 AM ]
nice!
I would be so excited if the draft went down this way. However I think you have what I call the optimists draft. You have every player falkling 10-15 spots to land when the niners pick.

Devon Still- could fall to niners, if the does, he is a great pick. I think he will be in the top 20.

Asemole- will not last until pick 61

Marvin Jones- will be a better pro than college player. Have the Cal qb throw to his cousin greatly reduced Marvin jones production.

Robert Turbin- Will be gone by round 4, if not, great for niners.

OLB's have done well in later rounds, the niners do not need a starter, so I think picking one up later in the draft is wise.
would be perfect
I like this draft! You hit on the positions that the Niners need with quality players. Similar in that respect to the mock I put up and we both had Marvin Jones in the 3rd.
If we go 3-4 DE in the first Id prefer Kendall Reyes.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

chandler jones has more pass rush potential as a 3-4 end than reyes or still, in my opinion
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by btthepunk:

chandler jones has more pass rush potential as a 3-4 end than reyes or still, in my opinion

He might but I think he'd need to gain about 20 pounds to play 3-4 DE.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cools:
1-Balzy first pick, could happen

2- I think the Niners want someone who can get out and block in space into the second leval
Good player, but I dont think he fits what they are looking for

3- Nice pick, Was a big fan of Jones while he was at CAL, he sould be a solid player in the NFL
I like some of those other 3rd rnd guys too, Criner, Childs, Matthews, seems like a good round to grab the wideout

4- Not a fan of drafting a RB, I think Gore, Hunter, Jabcobs and Miller are a solid combo, with Cartwright as an emergency RB/FB
I cant see the Niners useing another roster spot for this position, Turbin does look good, but I think the Niners work on finding the next #1 in 2013

6- I also want J.Smith, but I have us taking him in the 5th, though I wouldnt be surprised if the Niners grab a OLB earlier like trading up a bit to get Curry in the 2nd

7- Not familiar with this guy, but we do need a young safety, preferably a ball hawk/coverage type
I think C.Nelms has a good chance to take that spot,

Thanks for the feedback. I believe Osemele does possess enough mobility to go to the second level and block. He played RT at the college level and has quick feet and is athletic enough to be able to move.

I think landing a guy who can carry 25 times a game is crucial. I'm not 100% sure if Baalke will look to draft that guy in this years draft, but they have to think about it, especially if a guy like Turbin is there in round 4. It won't be the best decision to wait till Gore is done, and then we go looking for a back. Gore was spent towards the end of the season - and if we want to be a running team - we need to have two backs who can carry 20+ times.

But yes, it will not shock me if Baalke defers drafting a RB to next season. In my opinion, that's a risky move.
I don't think we take a DL at all in the entire draft.

Matt Miaccao said something I completely agree with:

We kept on the roster:

Dobbs, Demarcus
Jean Francois, Ricky
Tukuafu, Will
Williams, Ian

Teams don't keep players unless they value something in those players. I think SF really values these guys, are developing them, and will include them into the longer plan.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
I would be so excited if the draft went down this way. However I think you have what I call the optimists draft. You have every player falkling 10-15 spots to land when the niners pick.

Devon Still- could fall to niners, if the does, he is a great pick. I think he will be in the top 20.

Asemole- will not last until pick 61

Marvin Jones- will be a better pro than college player. Have the Cal qb throw to his cousin greatly reduced Marvin jones production.

Robert Turbin- Will be gone by round 4, if not, great for niners.

OLB's have done well in later rounds, the niners do not need a starter, so I think picking one up later in the draft is wise.

If you look at mock drafts, Devon Still can go from anywhere to 25-35. Yes, many drafts have him falling to round 2. There are so many good DL in this year's draft, some will have to fall - as teams will reach for needs. I expect teams to reach for pass-rushers as the league is becoming pass-happy.

Same goes for the Guard position. It's a deep position, and Guards almost always fall on draft day.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't think we take a DL at all in the entire draft.

Matt Miaccao said something I completely agree with:

We kept on the roster:

Dobbs, Demarcus
Jean Francois, Ricky
Tukuafu, Will
Williams, Ian

Teams don't keep players unless they value something in those players. I think SF really values these guys, are developing them, and will include them into the longer plan.

I would be shocked if the Niners didnt address the DL at some point in this draft. Those are servicable backups but I think you need more than that.