LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 322 users in the forums

Who dont you want the 49ers to draft?

Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Originally posted by strickac:
A RB. We are loaded at RB. I know we need to plan for the future, but that's the easiest position to fill. Plus, a rookie can easily come in and contribute if we need a back next season. Even if Gore goes down, I feel like a Hunter/Jacobs duo is enough to win in the NFL.

Hill scares me. I like some of the OGs, but we've spent so many early picks on the Oline, I feel like the 1st is bad value for us. With good coaching, which we now have, a 2nd round OG should be able to produce for us.

So... RB, OG, or Hill. That pretty much describes 75% of the mocks.

Uhh, no we are not. An aging Gore competing against father time just as much as he is defenses, washed up Jacobs, undersized Hunter, and underachieving Dixon is far from loaded.

Gore is not washed up. He may be on the back side of his career, but he's not washed up. Hunter is a little undersized, but he produces when he's on the field. He's short, but compact. Not worried about him. Jacobs isn't exactly who you want as a featured back, but he's a veteran and he can get the job done. Cartwright is also a tough runner, who can start if needed and catch the ball out of the backfield.

Jacobs is a one year thing, but we're not looking bad at RB. I wouldn't feel great wih Dixon starting, but he's shown some ability, as well. Our RB group is looking better than most teams'.

I assumed this meant who we didn't want to draft in the 1st and I hope we don't draft a RB in the 1st.
Originally posted by HomerJ:
Ashlon Jeffery - Great college player, but I don't think he will be able to get it done at the next level. I could be wrong though

Dontari Poe - results at the combine don't match the product on the field. Ideal Oakland raider pick.

I agree with both. Poe will collect the one big paycheck and then be history.
no Lineman at 30. i want a TE or WR
This^
Juron Criner mid to late rounds
Hill because he cant catch for s**t and only runs 1 route. Hes a bigger version of Ginn just with worse hands.
Wright because he has b***h strength 4 reps of 225 is pathetic even for a small WR.
Any QB
Any MLB
I'm leery of Hill...he could turn out to be a great player, but let's face it, the passing attack at GA Tech was pretty limited. Agree on Poe...results just don't stack up on the field. Ditto Jeffrey...too many red flags for me.

I'd have absolutely no heartburn if they took Doug Martin in the 1st rd. I love Gore as much as anyone, but he's wearing down more each season...that's typical for RB's who get a lot of carries. I really like Hunter, but have to agree he's not an every down RB. Jacobs may have a decent year, but is only signed for 1 season. Bill Walsh firmly believed in drafting replacement players a year early...to learn the offense their 1st year, then potentially take over their 2nd year. Based on that philosophy, which I'm pretty sure Harbaugh subscribes to, now's not too early to take a stud like Martin. He's too good to pass on if he's still on the board. He does everything very well and returns kicks. If he's BPA, I say Baalke takes him.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by Amir:
Fleener. Stupid to have 2 1st round TE's. We already have VD people. We can get another solid TE in round 3-5.

Because a TRUE double threat in the RZ is not good...aduuuu

I'm not doubting Fleener's game. I just don't think it's wise to spend a 1st round pick on a TE when we already have an ELITE TE in VD. We need more help at WR and OG and CB. If we want a true RZ threat, then why not get a WR to learn behind Moss/Manningham.

I'd be fine with Fleener if VD was nearing the end of his career or wasn't that good, but that's not the case. I'd rather take the Best Available WR, G or CB and draft a TE in round 3 or 4.
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Fleener. Stupid to have 2 1st round TE's. We already have VD people. We can get another solid TE in round 3-5.

Because a TRUE double threat in the RZ is not good...aduuuu

I'm not doubting Fleener's game. I just don't think it's wise to spend a 1st round pick on a TE when we already have an ELITE TE in VD. We need more help at WR and OG and CB. If we want a true RZ threat, then why not get a WR to learn behind Moss/Manningham.

I'd be fine with Fleener if VD was nearing the end of his career or wasn't that good, but that's not the case. I'd rather take the Best Available WR, G or CB and draft a TE in round 3 or 4.

The flip side is try to cover Fleener and Vernon Davis both in a 2 TE set. Not very fun. And he's better than any WR available at #30.
I don't want a Guard.

My priorities...

1) Trade - Get a next year #1 from a mediocre team
2) Stephen Hill
3) Coby Fleener
4) Reuben Randle
5) Alshon Jeffery
6) Lamar Miller / Doug Martin

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by dhp318:

Disagree with your reasoning. Get the best players you can in the draft. If that happens to be another TE, so be it. If Coby Fleener is a total stud, no one's going to be complaining that we have two 1st round TEs.
they will when we have 1 TE on the field and its not Fleener and when we are on the goal line and he isn't in because he cant block

If your argument is he can't block, that's a separate line of reasoning than this flawed "we can't have two 1st round TE" draft value argument. If Fleener is that good of a TE, then there will never be a time when both him and Vernon aren't on the field together. One might be split out wide, but the best players will see the field the most.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Offense:
QB - Not at all. Settled position.
RB - Not in this draft. Not before the 3rd.
FB - Not at all. Settled position.
WR - 1st round. Hill or Randle (I do not want Wright, too small). Toon in the 3rd or Streeter in the 5th.
TE - Not at all. Settled position.
T - Not in this draft or not before the 5th. Settled position.
G - Not before the 4th. Position addressed in 2011 draft.

Defense:
DT/NG - If Dontari Poe falls to us in the 1st I say we take him and get Alshon Jeffery, Mohamed Sanu, or Brian Quick in the 2nd. Other wise not before the 2nd.
DE - Not before the 2nd. Depth.
OLB - Not before the 3rd unless Bruce Irvin is available.
ILB - Not at all. Settled position, especially with Grant returning.
CB - Not before the 3rd. Settled position, but never could have enough CB's.
SS - Not before 3rd. Need depth.
FS - Would like to get George Iloka in the 2nd. Otherwise no before the 3rd.

That's what I think.

I think many people that are screaming for a guard at 30 are overlooking the two we already have on our roster, especially Kilgore. I think the coaching staff has a lot of confidence in Kilgore to take over in 2012. And apparently Alex Boone is in the mix as well. I think at this point we just need someone who isn't Chilo Rachal bad as opposed to Larry Allen good. Our biggest problems were with our playmakers at receiver on offense. The combination of Chilo Rachal and Adam Snyder was not the reason that our receivers couldn't get enough consistent separation or why no defense had to gameplan for anybody on our offense besides Frank Gore and Vernon Davis. It has to be a TE/WR on offense at 30. An OLB/DE would not surprise me at all either.

As for my not want list

Alshon Jeffrey- people are enamored simply because he's big. Nothing about him screams dominant to me.
Any offensive line picks.
RB- some pretty good backs will be available, but it's not necessity. Some may say the same logic applies to the TE, but this isn't exactly a typical 2 WR, FB, RB, TE offense.
WR- Any receiver that lacks great game speed. We already have one in Crabtree and he needs guys that are threats downfield to open up things underneath for him.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The flip side is try to cover Fleener and Vernon Davis both in a 2 TE set. Not very fun. And he's better than any WR available at #30.

This.

BTW, weren't we pretty settled at receiver in 1985 when we drafted Jerry Rice? Freddie Solomon and Dwight Clark weren't elite, but they were pretty damn good.

A better example is the Minnesota Vikings in 1998. Weren't they pretty settled at receiver with Cris Carter and Jake Reed? And Carter was definitely elite.

I recall the Cardinals taking Larry Fitzgerald in 2004 when they had just drafted receivers with their first and second round picks in 2003 (Bryant Johnson and Anquan Boldin).

I guess the anti-Fleener crew wouldn't passed on all of these guys. The age-old team need vs. BPA argument.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

This.

BTW, weren't we pretty settled at receiver in 1985 when we drafted Jerry Rice? Freddie Solomon and Dwight Clark weren't elite, but they were pretty damn good.

A better example is the Minnesota Vikings in 1998. Weren't they pretty settled at receiver with Cris Carter and Jake Reed? And Carter was definitely elite.

I recall the Cardinals taking Larry Fitzgerald in 2004 when they had just drafted receivers with their first and second round picks in 2003 (Bryant Johnson and Anquan Boldin).

I guess the anti-Fleener crew wouldn't passed on all of these guys. The age-old team need vs. BPA argument.
make that same argument with TE's not WR's
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

This.

First off, I agree with your sentiment, but you can't possibly compare Fleener to Rice, Fitzgerald, or Moss. They may be the 3 best WR of all time.
Share 49ersWebzone