LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

My Final Mock Draft, Two Rounds, Based on Value Boards

Originally posted by nickbradley:
'
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Hate the Charles pick, he doesn't give you anything different than VD already does. If the 49ers go TE, a big tall receiving TE like Fleener, Green or Egnew would offer the offense the greatest advantage.

I prefer a VD clone like Orson Charles, we'd get a symmetrical offense and the defense wouldn't know what to expect

Since when is Orson Charles a VD clone? They're both strong I guess? We have no use for Orson Charles. If we go tight end, it'll be a guy with height for the red zone. Think Fleener or Green type of guys. Doesn't make sense to draft another tight end with average to below average height.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Since when is Orson Charles a VD clone? They're both strong I guess? We have no use for Orson Charles. If we go tight end, it'll be a guy with height for the red zone. Think Fleener or Green type of guys. Doesn't make sense to draft another tight end with average to below average height.

This. Charles is like 6'2", in that case he's a meager improvement over Walker.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

This. Charles is like 6'2", in that case he's a meager improvement over Walker.

hed only be a vd clone if he ran a 4.3 40 and i think he ran a pedestrian 4.55 or low 4.6 at the combine and pro day.
Originally posted by sfout:
hed only be a vd clone if he ran a 4.3 40 and i think he ran a pedestrian 4.55 or low 4.6 at the combine and pro day.

He runs fast in pads...blocks well, does all the things a TE is supposed to do, at the end of the 2nd rd.
only te i see us drafting in the 1st is fleener
[ Edited by FredFlintstone on Apr 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM ]
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
only te i see us drafting in the 1st is fleener

I agree, and we take Charles in the 2nd
I would just take Konz for sure with the #1 pick and then take Derrick Wolfe in round 2. I would have been for Randle in round 1 before the FA signings but now I would go with building the lines.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I would just take Konz for sure with the #1 pick and then take Derrick Wolfe in round 2. I would have been for Randle in round 1 before the FA signings but now I would go with building the lines.

I used to be huge on Konz, but I don't think he has the strength to play RG as a rookie. In fact, that's why he has fallen in value. Along with an injury.

Wolfe is rated as a 3rd rounder.

I used to be huge on Konz, but I don't think he has the strength to play RG as a rookie. In fact, that's why he has fallen in value. Along with an injury.

Wolfe is rated as a 3rd rounder.

You are simply going by his bench press at the combine. In fact, I have heard that he may be better at OG. Either way he would be a great fit for this team either at RG or C for the future. As for Wolfe, Kiper rates him as a first round pick. Here are his comments for his FIRST rd pick for Wolfe to the Patriots:

"Will fit best as a 3-4 DE, where he can use his size (6-5, 295) to become a disruptive pass-rusher. Not considered explosive in terms of foot speed, he plays with great leverage and can disrupt pockets by driving linemen back, demanding extra help. Another good fit for the Patriots as they add pieces up front. "

You are simply going by his bench press at the combine. In fact, I have heard that he may be better at OG. Either way he would be a great fit for this team either at RG or C for the future. As for Wolfe, Kiper rates him as a first round pick. Here are his comments for his FIRST rd pick for Wolfe to the Patriots:

"Will fit best as a 3-4 DE, where he can use his size (6-5, 295) to become a disruptive pass-rusher. Not considered explosive in terms of foot speed, he plays with great leverage and can disrupt pockets by driving linemen back, demanding extra help. Another good fit for the Patriots as they add pieces up front. "

Then kiper is a jackass. Everyone else has him in the 3rd

Then kiper is a jackass. Everyone else has him in the 3rd

LOL Taking Orson Charles over Wolfe would be idiotic. The Niners really need a big 3-4 DE who can add depth at a postion where they need it. The ONLY TE that is worth taking that high is Fleener because of his size.

Maybe Wolfe is a 3rd rounder as you suggest but the Niners draft at the end of the round. Anyway, we will see where he ends up.

In this draft the Niners really need to focus on both Lines. This is where the team lacks in depth and where a starter is needed (OL). You cannot say that for any other spot.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM ]
Shoring up the lines on both sides of the ball is a much higher priority than picking players who will not significantly enhance the roster, IMO.

Randle is good, but he's an unknown as a pro and he has no real outstanding traits which would seperate him from, say, Crabtree or even Manningham. The team can pick up a developmental guy, with better credentials for stretching the field, possibly later in the draft.
I dont think theres anyway we would take Charles, he has good talent but is pretty much a little bit bigger delanie. He also has character concerns with the dui. Better value would be Green,Egnew, or Hanna in the 3rd or 4th round imo.
LOL Taking Orson Charles over Wolfe would be idiotic. The Niners really need a big 3-4 DE who can add depth at a postion where they need it. The ONLY TE that is worth taking that high is Fleener because of his size.

If you've read any of my posts, you'll see that I really really feel that we should draft a defensive lineman in the first three rounds of the draft. But the way the whole thing shook out we are looking at taking Wolfe of Fangupo a little early or taking the best player available.
Originally posted by Kaz9er:
I dont think theres anyway we would take Charles, he has good talent but is pretty much a little bit bigger delanie. He also has character concerns with the dui. Better value would be Green,Egnew, or Hanna in the 3rd or 4th round imo.

He is the same size as vernon davis and is 3 inches taller than walker
Share 49ersWebzone