There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

strategy/philosophy niners follow on 1st pick

Originally posted by Ninefan56:
We know that Baalke is not afraid to move up in the draft, so he could go after anyone whom he wants. Is there anyone besides DeCastro or Blackmon that Baalke would trade up to get? How about Gilmore or Coples?

Floyd and Ingram.

And I don't think Baalke would move up to get DeCastro.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
So what you're really saying is...

OMG FLEENER GUYZ OMG OMG OMG

this
That Baalke is a shrewd dude. It wouldn't surprise me if he already has a team willing to trade w/us so we can move up.

I don't feel he'll want to move all the way up to get DeCastro because he finds so much value in later rounds. Maybe into the high teens to low twenties.

My gut feeling is he'll pick to get us to the SBowl first and think long term later.
Perhaps we went through free agency for the immediate help and thus we can afford to draft a "future high potential" player. I believe we can draft Hill over a WR like Randle who is more pro ready because we have Moss and Manningham filling in right now and then hopefully a couple years down the road Hill will develop into that scary number one type of guy. I think we have room to draft either type, and it will just depend on what is available. Then again we didn't address the guard position in free agency yet, so if there is a first round talent there that may be the route we go.
i think were going WR in 1st
we interviewed every WR that is expected to be there at 30

an absoutlte dream sceanrio for me is

wrigh/hill in 1st

use a 2nd and 3rd and maybe throw in a 5th to trade up for fleener
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
So what you're really saying is...

OMG FLEENER GUYZ OMG OMG OMG

this
I second that
Normally, your 1st rd pick is expected to start right away. I'd say that'd be true of an OG, but can't really see a starter for just about any other position. If we take Fleener, he may not start, but should see a lot of PT opposite Vernon. Other than that, we're arguably drafting for mostly depth this year. We're finally in position to virtually take BPA...no matter what position.
You always draft for immediate impact. If the guy helps you immediately then he would also be helpful in the future.
I would say it is a combo of need/BPA/best advantage.

IMO, if Fleener is there, he gives us all three. Think about it, if we get a Guard, how does that create mismatches for the opponent and force them to change their defense? How difficult is a Guard to acquire.

Now if we get Fleener, do you think that will change opponents' gameplans vs us? A player that forces defenses to change is much harder to acquire than a Guard.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Normally, your 1st rd pick is expected to start right away. I'd say that'd be true of an OG, but can't really see a starter for just about any other position. If we take Fleener, he may not start, but should see a lot of PT opposite Vernon. Other than that, we're arguably drafting for mostly depth this year. We're finally in position to virtually take BPA...no matter what position.

Not on good teams. I think all you want is to see your 1st round pick make solid contributions. Look at Aldon Smith... didn't start, but made a big difference using his strengths in certain situations.

Similarly, a TE like Fleener could make a big contribution in 2 TE sets on 3rd down and in the red-zone.

A WR like Randle or Hill could get significant playing time as a 3rd WR (I doubt Moss even makes the team).
[ Edited by blm7754 on Apr 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
I would say it is a combo of need/BPA/best advantage.

IMO, if Fleener is there, he gives us all three. Think about it, if we get a Guard, how does that create mismatches for the opponent and force them to change their defense? How difficult is a Guard to acquire.

Now if we get Fleener, do you think that will change opponents' gameplans vs us? A player that forces defenses to change is much harder to acquire than a Guard.

Why is it that most people on here don't get that?