There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

strategy/philosophy niners follow on 1st pick

do you think baalke would take a guy who can be more of an immediate help, over ap player that might have more potential in the future, given niners are so close to getting to a championship

for example if thery see fleener as a guy who can come in right away and produce in multi te sets, or zeitler as a guy who comes in and starts at rt guard right away, and they see for example stpehen hill as a a future star who will need a year or two develop, do they go for the immedaite return or the future big pay off?

if i were making the decision i would go for the player that gives immediate help
I think the rule of thumb is that a 1st round pick should be able to come in and play right away.
I think by the way they moved in FA this year that its Super Bowl or bust with them. I wouldnt be surprised if they traded up to get that "immediate" help.
So what you're really saying is...

OMG FLEENER GUYZ OMG OMG OMG

I'm guessing they are going to move up to get the guy they want in the draft.
I am creating a new Webzone drinking game whenever the word Fleener is mentioned.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I am creating a new Webzone drinking game whenever the word Fleener is mentioned.

Thats going to send alot to their death MadDog, straight alchohol poisoning.
If it's anything like the 2011 draft... 4-5 players, if not all the draft class will make a significant impact.
I believe there is a potential chance we trade up to the Broncos 25th pick right before the texans. My main reasoning is i believe the texans will be the most likely team to pick a recieving option we covet. Also since Baalke has been GM we have a recent history of trading up with the Broncos the last couple of drafts.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kaz9er:
I believe there is a potential chance we trade up to the Broncos 25th pick right before the texans. My main reasoning is i believe the texans will be the most likely team to pick a recieving option we covet. Also since Baalke has been GM we have a recent history of trading up with the Broncos the last couple of drafts.

I can definitely see that too. With our emphasis on getting someone who can impact immediately, trading up makes sense.

Even if Fliiner
Fleener.....

MD, you're not a fan of Fleener?
I think this thread has merit, but needs to go further. Teams draft for need and what type of team they need to be. With the NFL moving towards a more pass friendly league, with records being broken year after year, the defesne needs to put their eggs in one of a few baskets, doe you get shut down db's who will give the pass rusher that extra 1 or 2 seconds to get to the qb, or do you put a premium on pass rush, giving your non shut down db's the benefit of getting to the qb quicker, and disrupting timing. Both have the same net effect, but different philosophy.

Mike Singletary announced he would be pound the ball in a cloud of dust, this made the Niners offense easy to predict, making opposing defensive coordinators ample time to sleep. With Harbaugh, he is about multiple fronts and packages, thus hopefully confusing the defense a little, so they cannot react as quickly. To do this he needs well rounded players who can play multiple positions without substituting. This also puts a premium on OL who can pass block more than an OL than can simply maul a hole for a runner.

Given this team has improved in the defense by adding speed to the pass rush, they need to keep the pedal to the metal and get another quality OLB back up. The team on offense needs red zone targets to help Alex get the first downs, and the team potentially needs a RG/C. All of these can be done, but the best way is BPA at the slot.
We know that Baalke is not afraid to move up in the draft, so he could go after anyone whom he wants. Is there anyone besides DeCastro or Blackmon that Baalke would trade up to get? How about Gilmore or Coples?