There are 176 users in the forums

1st round mock, theninermaniac

Originally posted by belabartok:
Browns arent taking Blackmon OR Fleener. Blackmon isnt worth the 4th pick and doesnt fill as much of a need as Richardson does and the Browns have too many holes to pick Fleener when they still havent figured out how the hell to use Evan Moore at TE and picked Jordan Cameron last year.

Agree though less stridently.
Does anyone like the way this site comes up with their picks?

http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1.asp
Some super whacky picks here.
The Bucs just spent 60 million on Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams is a very promising WR entering his 3rd year along with Benn who should both benefit from Jackson's addition. No way they take Blackmon.

The Panthers arent switching to a 3-4, and took a few DT's last year, none that are great, but Poe makes little sense to a 4-3 team and really isn't worth a #9 pick at all. Didnt even produce much in college. Only worth the reach to a 3-4 team in desperation for a NT.

Jets have more than a few needs above of CB, they took Kyle Wilson in the 1st round in 2010, and though hes not a world beater yet, they have Cromartie and revis, why in the world do they take a 4th high caliber CB over OLB, DL, OL, or WR? Huge holes they have.

The Broncos too have a lot more needs than to take another TE. They took two last year in the draft, and just gave Tamme good money and signed Dreesen to back him up. 4 TE's. Why not take a 5th, eh? I dont think so.

Mercilus isnt a LB, dont know why you have him listed as such. Maybe in a 3-4 he would be, and maybe he'd transition to SLB for the Giants but I dont see it with Kiwi manning that spot and with 3 awesome DE's on the roster already. Granted, Osi is in his last year, so Mercilus wouldnt shock me, but theyre another team with bigger needs than the pick you stick them with.

Just a quick retort:

Blackmon is the best prospect in the draft after Luck an RG3.

Panthers will almost assuredly address their defense, and Poe dominated the combine with like 44 reps of 225 lbs. When you sling that kind of iron you can play anywhere you want on the line.

The Jets pick of Kirkpatrick was based on him being the best player on the board. I think they could end up wanting to trade down to address their multiple holes, but face with the decision of reaching for a less talented player, they chose BPA and take Kirkpatrick.

Broncos taking Fleener is logical, because he would be the best TE on the roster and would give Peyton a security blanket.

Thanks for your input
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Just a quick retort:

Panthers will almost assuredly address their defense, and Poe dominated the combine with like 44 reps of 225 lbs. When you sling that kind of iron you can play anywhere you want on the line.

The Jets pick of Kirkpatrick was based on him being the best player on the board. I think they could end up wanting to trade down to address their multiple holes, but face with the decision of reaching for a less talented player, they chose BPA and take Kirkpatrick.

Broncos taking Fleener is logical, because he would be the best TE on the roster and would give Peyton a security blanket.

Thanks for your input

hell no
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Some super whacky picks here.
The Bucs just spent 60 million on Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams is a very promising WR entering his 3rd year along with Benn who should both benefit from Jackson's addition. No way they take Blackmon.

The Panthers arent switching to a 3-4, and took a few DT's last year, none that are great, but Poe makes little sense to a 4-3 team and really isn't worth a #9 pick at all. Didnt even produce much in college. Only worth the reach to a 3-4 team in desperation for a NT.

Jets have more than a few needs above of CB, they took Kyle Wilson in the 1st round in 2010, and though hes not a world beater yet, they have Cromartie and revis, why in the world do they take a 4th high caliber CB over OLB, DL, OL, or WR? Huge holes they have.

The Broncos too have a lot more needs than to take another TE. They took two last year in the draft, and just gave Tamme good money and signed Dreesen to back him up. 4 TE's. Why not take a 5th, eh? I dont think so.

Mercilus isnt a LB, dont know why you have him listed as such. Maybe in a 3-4 he would be, and maybe he'd transition to SLB for the Giants but I dont see it with Kiwi manning that spot and with 3 awesome DE's on the roster already. Granted, Osi is in his last year, so Mercilus wouldnt shock me, but theyre another team with bigger needs than the pick you stick them with.

Just a quick retort:

Thanks for your input

What does bench pressing have to do with play? Im sure youd have taken Bruce Campbell and Mike Mamula #1 overall by that logic. Blackmon is not close to being the 3rd best prospect. He'd have been the 3rd WR taken in 2011 and isnt markedly better than Floyd this year.
Originally posted by fortyniner52:

I like the site because of their format, but their board of needs is a bit wacky...not sure how regularly they update to include FA signings. They are better than many sites I've read. One site had the 9ers picking three OGs in the first three rounds a few weeks ago. Probably had more than one person updating?
Why not Reyes? He's got pass rushing skills, and is really fast for his size (4.79 X 40). Still all but disappeared against Ohio St and Wisconsin. He's one of the top 5 DE's, but with Reyes' speed, seems he's got a tad better overall skills to excel at DE in the 3-4. That said, I'd have absolutely no heartburn w/Zeitler as the #30 pick...he'd fill a bigger immediate need than either Reyes or Still.
What does bench pressing have to do with play? Im sure youd have taken Bruce Campbell and Mike Mamula #1 overall by that logic. Blackmon is not close to being the 3rd best prospect. He'd have been the 3rd WR taken in 2011 and isnt markedly better than Floyd this year.
The combine always elevates a player to the top 10 that otherwise wouldnt be there. Yes sometimes they bust. If Vernon Davis would have had a poor combine, the 49ers wouldnt have drafted him in the top 10. Combines matter.

As for Blackmon, he was double teamed all year and still produced big time. The 2nd person to win back to back Belitnikoff Award as nation's top WR; the other was Michael Crabtree.
Originally posted by fortyniner52:

If the Niners got Zeitler, Crick, OLB, FS, KR, I think the Niners are going to try and win in the next two years. This is a win now draft.
Share 49ersWebzone